Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

TCM Flix to Groove To!! Week of Mon, Apr 1-Sun, Apr 7!!!

markbeckuaf

TCM Flix to Groove Hard To Week of Mon, Apr 1-Sun, April 7!!!

Wow, we kick this week off on Monday straight away with a tribute to Lon Chaney, Sr!!! All day silents (and his only talkie and a documentary rounding out the day)!!! Flix such as HE WHO GETS SLAPPED (1924), also featuring Norma Shearer (wowza!) and John Gilbert, THE MONSTER (1925), TELL IT TO THE MARINES (1926) also starring William Haines and Eleanor Boardman, MOCKERY (1927) also featuring Ricardo Cortez, and one of my faves, MR WU (1927)!!! A groovy day by any other name!!

Monday night it's all about the start of the baseball season, and at 2:45am est, Joe E Brown hits it outta the park in the pre-code FIREMAN, SAVE MY CHILD (1932)!! Also with the lovely Evalyn Knapp and my man Guy Kibbee!!

Tuesday we kick off yet again with a groovy silent, WHITE SHADOWS IN THE SOUTH SEAS (1928) with the luscious Racquel Torres!!! Yowza!!!! Then it's the granddaddy of all big monsters, KING KONG (1933) with the gorgeous Fay Wray, my main man Robert Armstrong and Bruce Cabot!! Then it's May Robson, Jean Parker and Lewis Stone in YOU CAN'T BUY EVERYTHING (1934)!!! Followed by Irene Dunne, Douglas Fairbanks Jr, and Alice Brady in JOY OF LIVING (1938)!!! Then Hedy Lamarr is unleashed in a seductive frenzy in WHITE CARGO (1942) with Walter Pidgeon, Reginal Owen and Frank Morgan!! Rivetingy scalding hot noir, BORN TO KILL (1947) with perhaps crazy man Lawrence Tierney in his finest role, sexy Claire Trevor and sleazy Walter Slezak!!!

Tuesday night is Reggie Miller's guest programming turn, and he kicks off with a suspenseful winner, Hitch himself directing STRANGERS ON A TRAIN (1951)!!

My next hard grooves are hard indeed with a day long tribute to Melvyn Douglas on Friday!!! Kicking it off with the intense pre-code PRESTIGE (1932) with Ann Harding and Adolphe Menjou!!! Then Melvyn mixes it up with my main man Lionel Atwill and the luscious Fay Wray in THE VAMPIRE BAT (1933)!!! Next up, a rare and very good suspense flick, DANGEROUS CORNER (1935) with Virginia Bruce and Conrad Nagel!!! Then Melvyn hits it off with Claudette Colbert in SHE MARRIED HER BOSS (1935)!!! A bit later at 1:45pm, it's Melvyn in a breezy mystery, FAST COMPANY (1938) with Florence Rice, Claire Dodd, Louis Calhern and my main men George Zucco and Dwight Frye!!! Wowza!!

Friday night it's a "Woman's World" with MILDRED PIERCE (1945), STELLA DALLAS (1937), BACHELOR MOTHER (1939) and MADE FOR EACH OTHER (1939)!!! This is also the Friday that kicks off the new prime-time Friday night equivalent of what used to be "The Essentials" on Saturdays, with TCM Underground moving to Saturday late nights.

Two more Perry Mason flix to go and this is the next to last on Saturday morning at 10:45am, with my man Ricardo Cortez filling in for Warren William, who had starred as Perry in the first 4 in the series, and doing so ably, in THE CASE OF THE BLACK CAT (1936)!

Saturday night features desert warfare, and at Midnight, it's Bogie in one of my favorite wartime flix, SAHARA (1943)!!! Then it's TCM Underground in it's new time slot, and it's a "killer" with a documentary on William Castle to kick it off (excellent, saw it not long ago on TCM Underground and it's fantastic!!), followed by a Castle flick, MACABRE (1958)!!

We get a couple of pre-codes and a scalding noir to groove us on Sunday daytime, 6am it's NEW MORALS FOR OLD (1932) with Robert Young, Myrna Loy, and Lewis Stone!!! At noon, it's THE GUILTY GENERATION (1931) with Leo Carillo, the gorgeous sexy Constance Cummings, Robert Young, and an early non-horror appearance by Boris Karloff!!! Later at 3:30pm it's the classic noir, DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)!!!

Sunday night it's "Masters of Suspense", and kicks off with a Hitch classic, SPELLBOUND (1945), followed by DIABOLIQUE (1955), and then Hitch once again at midnight with BLACKMAIL (1929)!! Rock and roll!!!

Thank you,TCM, for another totally groovin' week of classic rockin' flix!!!

The movies of Monday night: *It Happens Every Spring* (1949) and *Angels in the Outfield* (1951) are the type of light-hearted fare which I hold very dear.

I love *Green Mansions* (1959) because of its simple beauty.

I am curious of *The Murderer Lives at Number 21* (1947). I have a sense that it should star Peter Lorre.

Mark,

Always enjoy reading your recommendations for the week.

I'd be groovin' a lot harder & happier if one of the highlights of the month for me, a rare Columbia I've never seen, was still on the schedule for April 5: WOMEN OF GLAMOUR (1937). (It was on the early version of the schedule, but dropped and replaced). It's a remake of the 1930 Columbia Capra movie LADIES OF LEISURE (but no relation to the 1926 Columbia silent LADIES OF LEISURE).

About the 1929 movie BLACKMAIL coming on Sunday night in the regular silent time slot - it could be the silent version, which I believe will be a TCM premiere. I like both versions but they're very different. Anyone familiar with the talkie version but never seen the silent, be sure to check it out!

Musicalnovelty, thank you!!! And total bummer about that flick being dropped! It's unfortunate that a lot of rare movies like that are scheduled and then dropped. Of course, we'd never know about it sometimes if TCM didn't publish their schedules so far ahead. But yeah, hopefully it will show up again!!!

And I thought about whether BLACKMAIL is the silent version, but wasn't quite sure. It *is* the Silent Sunday Feature, so maybe so?? I'd rock if it was! I liked the talkie version as well, but that would be coolio to see the silent version!

Mark,

Sorry I didn't notice this thread sooner. Hope you saw, recorded *THE BLACKBIRD (1926)* this morning.It hasn't been shown since October of 2008. Plus it has Renee Adoree, and is really one of Chaney's most underrated films. a terrific picture. I'm kind of disappointed that for as long as it hasn't been shown it didn't air at a better time. There are still a few Chaney's that TCM never seems to run. *THE LIGHT OF FAITH, OUTSIDE THE LAW, FLESH AND BLOOD,* and *SHADOWS* among them. And from the MGM period *WHILE THE CITY SLEEPS* with Anita Page and Virginia Bradford.

Yes, Hitchcock's *BLACKMAIL* looks to be the TCM Premiere of the Silent version. They have broadcast the Talkie before, but not the Silent.

Gagman, thank you so much for your notice of THE BLACKBIRD!!! I did forget to mention it in my groovy picks, but it is definitely a flick I saved for the DVR and it was wonderful to watch (watched last night)!! Oh yeah, totally rocked!

I also would groove to seeing those other Chaney silents, hopefully one day!

I'm also totally looking forward to the silent version of BLACKMAIL!

Next up, a rare and very good suspense flick, DANGEROUS CORNER (1935) with Virginia Bruce and Conrad Nagel!!!

Wow, groovy-o for *sure* mark.

New to me, it's movies like this that make me remember the good ole days at TCM and AMC.

Wonderful, riveting stuff. I never saw it coming --- Bruce and Douglas were wonderful.

Best of all was Conrad Nagel, whom I had long heard my mother wax rhapsodic about. She was of the Tyrone Power/Rudolph Valentino type admirer, and I find both icky. Nagel was interesting in an F. Scott Fitzgerald way and I found his acting very good. What was he usually relegated to, Nazi officers?

Tight, small, fascinating movie, thank you mark for the heads up.

It was indeed incredible, mark, and I hope you caught it again.

Darn, I missed New Morals For Old today, but hope it comes on again some day.

You didn't mention but did you catch Cross Country Romance? Just a nice little movie, but I'd watch Gene Raymond in most anything b/w. Interesting note about the ending - catch the cameo by an uncredited actor whom you might recognize, perhaps a friend of Gene's? Oh, and Billy Gilbert is always a delight.

Looking forward to The Guilty Generation - Sundays are usually a wasteland of b/w movies, today's a nice exception. Thanks, mark.

Hey mark, didja see Lawyer Man today? New to me, a pre-code William Powell with a lovely Joan Blondell that was zowee pow!

Most eye-popping of all, when Powell is in the steam room. I won't spoil the, um, shocker.

What is it, do you think, that made pre-codes bif! bam! boom! and movies after that as bland as yesterday's oatmeal? What I find especially fascinating is that the pre-codes are as fresh and current as any *good* movie made today, rare as hen's teeth though they may be, while all the button-down and cleaned-up movies are as stale as yesterday's garbage.

Hope you're groovin' it up and that you're okay.

Check out the three decent movies on today:

9:15 AM

comedy

[Miranda|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/83581/Miranda/|view in TCM Movie Database] (1948)[ |http://www.tcm.com/schedule/#]

-----

10:45 AM

suspense

[Case of the Stuttering Bishop, The|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/70421/Case-of-the-Stuttering-Bishop-The/|view in TCM Movie Database] (1937)

-----

12:00 PM

suspense

[Murder At The Gallop|http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/84141/Murder-At-The-Gallop/|view in TCM Movie Database] (1963)

William Powell tried to act with a mermaid in Mr. Peabody but didn't fare too well, here's hoping this outing is a better one. BTW, did you see Ellen and Portia's ranch in Santa Monica? 26 acres that used to belong to Bill Powell! Note that the horse is standing on rubber tiles.

http://www.elledecor.com/celebrity-style/portia-de-rossi-ellen-degeneres-santa-monica?link=rel&dom=yah_omg&src=syn&con=slide&mag=edc#slide-1

Anywho, enjoy and another FYI, The Lady Vanishes is on tomorrow at 8:00am.

Rock on, mark!