Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

This must be Jay Robinson nite on TCM

*The Robe* followed by *Demetrius and the Gladiators* tonite! *The Robe* is more reverent a film while *Demetrius and the Gladiators* is just plain fun. So much to enjoy in the latter film. Suppose they had a nutburger square-off between Jay Robinson's Caligula and Christopher Plummer's Commodus from Fall of the Roman Empire. Who'd win? :^0

> {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}*The Robe* followed by *Demetrius and the Gladiators* tonite! *The Robe* is more reverent a film while *Demetrius and the Gladiators* is just plain fun. So much to enjoy in the latter film. Suppose they had a nutburger square-off between Jay Robinson's Caligula and Christopher Plummer's Commodus from Fall of the Roman Empire. Who'd win? :^0

How about Peter Ustinov's Nero from *Quo Vadis?* Like Robinson, he was Oscar-nominated for this role. His love for his own horrible musical talents was almost comical which added a different dimension to his otherwise vile personality that Robinson and Plummer didn't get a chance to convey. All are superbly nasty.

Plummer was usually so villainous that when I heard he was to be Count von Trapp in *The Sound of Music* I couldn't believe it. Of course he won us all over as a charming and romantic leading man. I'm glad he joined Ustinov as an Academy Award winner.