Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

In Vanda's Room - TCM Aspect Ratio Screw-up

JonasEB

Noticed TCM had stretched the 1.33:1 film In Vanda's Room to 1.78:1. HDTVs can get around this simply by changing the screen ratio option, compressing it back to 4:3, but people with old SDTVs would be stuck with the stretched image.

Really? It should still be possible, unless your DVR prevents the TV from doing it. The only downside is you'd get extreme pictureboxing from the SD version.

Another problem I noticed recently, both on Janus Films titles (Early Spring and at least one of the Rossellini history films), is that it appears the two did not get the proper 3:2 pulldowns necessary to convert 24 fps materials to the NTSC standard. It looked like the kind of thing I've seen on some of my Asian DVDs and Blu-rays - a repitition of every fourth frame. It achieves the same goal as 3:2 pulldown but it produces a very noticeable stutter in the image (much more noticeable than the judder associated with 3:2.)

Well, I checked it out a bit closer, and things aren't as I thought. On the SD channel, the 4x3 OAR wasn't stretched, it was cropped top and bottom, to make a 16x9 picture. So, although my TV has only "4x3" And "Wide" options for component inputs, I can use the S-Video output from my DVDR to view it, and zoom it to make the frame fill the screen, with no stretching. But, I will still be seeing a cropped picture, not the original OAR, ans so will everyone else. I hope TCM can get an unaltered copy to show in the future. I also wish they had listed it as letterboxed, so I could have gotten a better picture using TCMHD.