Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

King of Kings (1927-28)

ed7778

• 2 weeks later...

*My favorite version of "King of Kings". H.B. Warner is truly ethereal.*

*Amazon has a package that contains all versions on DVD. It will set you back $34.00, though. Also the VHS tape for $8.00. Either way, it's worth the money.*

The longer original Road Show version of THE KING OF KINGS in 1927 was presented live music performed by Cinema Orchestra's. The score on the Criterion edition was recently composed by Donald Sousin. The Alternate cut, also on the 2 disc Criterion DVD has the vintage. Hugo Resinfeld Photo-phone track. Though recorded in 1928, I don't think this was widely distributed until 1929-30 for the the sound re-issue. I'm definitely partial to the Road Show cut of the film, but at the same time much prefer the Resinfeld score in the shortened re-issue release.

The excellent Criterion DVD is well worth having for both versions, and for the extra's. Including a beautifully illustrated booklet. Much better than VHS. This would be a very good title for a Blu-ray up-grade. Though it doesn't appear likely anytime soon. Buy the DVD while still in print.

Hope that this information is helpful to you?

Indeed, very helpful! Although not important, it is curious why the producers didn't just cut the Road Show music to fit the 112-minute version, but I'm glad they got Resinfeld to compose that delightful score. I believe it's more dynamic and memorable than the Road Show score.

• 3 weeks later...

The "road show score" you are referring to is a modern composition and recording there was no 1920s recorded score for this 18 reel version. The Riesenfeld score was recorded in 1928 for the shortened 14 reel general release version of the film, and this is the version that has been most commonly available until Criterion put out the DVD with both versions. The road show vrsion includes two color sequnces, and the Ressurection color sequence islonger than in the general release version. Unfortunately the rest of the picture is B&W and does not contain the tints of the original issue, but it is a beautiful transfer. Among the features in the booklet for the Criterion release is an excerpt from my book, "Cecil B. DeMille's Hollywood."

This is really curious.

The Road Show (18-reel version) score is a modern composition.

The Riesenfeld score was recorded in 1928 for the 14-reel version..

The live music performed by Cinema Orchestra for the Road Show was not recorded. Does the sheet music exist or is it lost to history?