Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Why was The Robe shown in horrible condition?

speedbird2

TCM aired my favorite film, "The Robe" on Easter Sunday. The color rendition was excellent and all looked well until Marcellus left Rome for Palestine. The film then showed an array of white specks of dirt. It continued and was terrible during the scene where Demetrius searches for Jesus and meets Judas. It spoiled my enjoyment of this classic film. Is this version from the DVD or Blu-Ray? What a shame to show this film in such deplorable condition. Strangely, the last 40 minutes appeared to be restored (cleaned-up). How could this be? The sequel, "Demetrius and the Gladiators", on the other hand, was shown in pristine condition. Incidentally, Mr. Osborne, the host, made an error, he claims that the film was stopped filming in regular screen and switched-over to the newer CinemaScope process. In fact, 2 versions were filmed, 1 in 35mm for all the theatres not equipped for a wide-screen, and a CinemaScope version; each slightly different in both camera angles and dialogue.

A slight digression: My wife, who usually sits quietly through most movies, piped up after a scene in *Demitrius and The Gladiators* (you'll know which one in a second) with the comment, "Wow...those RICHARD EGAN kisses were to DIE for!"

Sorry. just had to get that out!

Sepiatone

Speaking of Richard Egan's kisses ... I knew a girl who went out with him when he was single. She said he kissed really well.

Same girl also knew Lew Ayres and had a very happy friendship with him for a long time, talking philosophy for the most part. He was much older than she.

Dothery, your Lew Ayes story sounds a lot like a real life version of an episode of "The Mary Tyler Moore Show"...the one where Ayes guest stars as one of Mary's boyfriends, and the whole "age difference" thing comes into play.

(...man, has this thread ever gone off the tracks now, HUH?!) ;)

No, I wasnt confusing them, I was wondering if the kiss had something to do with sending them to their death. It's been so long since I've seen the film, I dont remember much about it......