Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Nowhere to Go 1958

mm123

TCM is showing this tomorrow at 10:45pm. It was the last movie made by Michael Balcon at Ealing.

The time listed is 87 min. But they are selling a 100 min. version in England on DVD. Its a good and interesting movie.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRqvhF9TC-egkUiGzjFptSimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcT-1bDvDaMXJApr8F7XZaOimages?q=tbn:ANd9GcRVchYT3z9GCTKtR3lU8Wj

Hmmmm...sorry mm, but I'm not gettin' the title of this flick here?

I mean, back in '58 there were PLENTY of places to go.

Yep, one could go the drive-in movies, or say cruise into the local A&W Root Beer stand, or if one lived in L.A. at the time like I did, they could go see the newly relocated Dodgers play at the Coliseum, or maybe.......

(...sorry, couldn't resist ;) ....thanks for the heads-up here...I'll be lookin' forward to seein' this film)

> {quote:title=mm123 wrote: }{quote}The time listed is 87 min. But they are selling a 100 min. version in England on DVD. Its a good and interesting movie.

I've checked three reliable British sources and all show a runnng time of 87 minutes. Here's a link to one:

http://www.britmovie.co.uk/films/Nowhere-to-Go_1958/listType/alpha

(Caution: there may be SPOILERS)

I've never put much stock in advertised running times of DVDs.

> {quote:title=mm123 wrote:}{quote}If you check out this link you'll see the Studio-Canal DVD is 100 min.http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nowhere-To-DVD-George-Nader/dp/B008LU8NPU/ref=pd_sim_d_h__4

>

> Apparently it was cut before release.

>

Thanks for pointing that out, still all the sources that list it as 87 minutes are technically correct since they are reporting on the original version released. Hopefully, all the various databases will update their info and indicate there's now a longer version available.

It would be nice if TCM would run the longer one, but perhaps Studio Canal hasn't made it available to them yet. I sure hope that somebody at TCM actually timed the movie when it arrived and didn't rely on the databases I went to, otherwise if it turns out to be 100 minutes there's gong to be some last minute schedule shuffling. I think I'll add extra pad on my recording just to be safe.

Oh, I didnt know it was her first film. I just found it odd Nader being in a British film. Maybe he plays an American. I dont know anything about the plot. He wasnt the world's greatest actor. Pairing him with Smith seems a bit lopsided, but we'll see........

No, that was a syndicated show that aired in the 1961-62 season. I think its primary function was to promote the newly redesigned Buick Special. I do remember Regis Toomey also being on the show, doing the same kind of avuncular investigator that he had been playing for years and would continue to do on BURKE'S LAW.

Nader had a network series prior to that, it was titled THE MAN AND THE CHALLENGE and ran in the 1959-60 season. I saw a few episodes of that, he was kind of a MacGyver type, a brainy guy quick to come up with solutions. I seem to recall that it aired on Saturdays opposite something else that we used to watch, maybe LEAVE IT TO BEAVER, so I didn't see too many and I don't recall it getting replayed in syndication.

Its always difficult for producers to explain how an American star belongs in a British film. But they needed the big name to finance the project. Nader had a good run for Universal making, Flood Tide, Man Afraid & An Unguarded Moment. & others. Looking back I thought Nowhere To Go was lacking coherence in the cut version. Hopefully the longer version will explain a bit better what he is doing in England.

You should have said 10:45 PACIFIC time. I was all set to watch it, then saw it was on at 1:45 Eastern. :( so I had to record it.....

So was the cut version shown or the longer version? Anyone?

Edited by: Hibi on Apr 5, 2013 9:35 AM

Spoiler Alert:

I also liked the movie and while some have complained about the ending I felt it was fine. I knew this was the type of movie that wasn't going to have a happy ending as it relates to the lead character getting away, or him and Maggie Smith's character running off as lovers to some other country. So why prolong the 'nowhere to go'. What I liked about the ending is that he died because he couldn't trust her. He felt she sold him out. But of course she didn't. Smith has a unique style and look and it worked well here, in this being her first film. It was good to see Lee in this movie and I'm glad his character got his just desert.

SPOILERS BELOW

It remided me a bit of a Richard Conte/Robert Siodmak noir titled CRY OF THE CITY. Similar premise - we have an amoral lead who is charming but also ruthless and his attempt to recover ill-gotten gains serves as his downfall.

The end was no surprise to me. It was still 1958 and I could only expect that retribution would come in one way or another. The bit with the bike did seem a bit rushed as previously he was able to talk his way out of most anything and didn't even try here, but hey, the movie has to end somewhere.

Its important to note that Nowhere To Go was made by Michael Balcon at MGM British Studio at Boreham Wood. This was the studio in which Balcon in the 30's was hired to operate for MGM to produce high quality pictures. This partnership fell apart very quickly when Mayer tried to insert himself into the filmmaking process by casting a floozie he picked up on a drunken binge. Balcon had Vivien Leigh intended for the part at that time unknown. An argument forced Balcon out at MGM after only one movie. Balcon still hung around in a reduced role & then took over Ealing. When Mayer was forced out of MGM in 1956, Balcon was able to convince them to make Nowhere To Go under his control. To read more about this episode read Balcon's book: "Michael Balcon Presents: A Lifetime of

Films"

Thru his stupidity & stubbornness, Mayer cost MGM millions$ in lost profits on films Balcon could have made for them & did make at Ealing.

*UPDATE:*

The television show *Shannon* starring George Nader as an insurance investigator ran from Sept. '61 to June '62 for only 36 episodes.

I remember seeing it on late night in the summer of '63, so I was obviously seeing it in syndication.

Sepiatone

Edited by: Sepiatone on Apr 6, 2013 2:34 PM

A poster on the IMDb says that MGM trimmed 15 minutes from the film, so it would fit on a double bill. I liked the film, and I can see it being 15 minutes longer. I was disappointed that *A Run for your Money*, with Alec Guinness was dropped. I wanted to see it.