Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shakespeare Overdose on tonight

MovieMadness

>Shakespeare meets a Method actor:

Ya know Fred, instead of that TZ scene in which Burt gives that great impression of Brando, I was expecting your link was gonna be this one here...

(..."Friends, Romans, STELLLLAAAAH...oh STELLLLAAAAH!!!!") ;)

Has anyone out there heard of the new version of Much Ado About Nothing directed by Joss Whedon?

For the folks out there who aren't really up of modern media, he gave us Buffy The Vampire Slayer, Angel, Firefly, Dollhouse, and the Movies Serenity, (the film version of Firefly), and The Avengers.

>What I hate is that only "Hamlet" is closed captioned. I can't handle Elizabethan-era English late at night without captions!

Yeah, well, the only problem with THAT is that it all depends upon who the guy is that's translating The Bard's prose into modern English, ya see!

Yep, I say this 'cause I was once watchin' a closed captioned version of Julius Caesar and when the part came up in the movie where Cassius says, "The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves", whoever it was that was writin' the closed caption wrote, "Dude, you make your own bed and lie in it!"!!!

(...and I don't about YOU, but THAT just didn't have the same ring to it, if ya ask ME!!!)

;)

> {quote:title=Swithin wrote:}{quote}

>

> I'm not fond of Olivier's *Richard III*, partly because I'm not wild about the play and partly because he cut out the very dramatic role of Queen Margaret, *who has one of the best scenes in the play.*

I know me too! Except I like the play very much- in fact, it may be my favorite Shakespeare. Re: Queen Margaret's best scene: do you mean (I paraphrase); "bloody be your means and bloody be your end"?

Maggie Smith plays the role in the excellent 1995 update and she (of course) knocks it out of the park.

I did see Kevin Spacey do it in Brooklyn a couple of years ago. I liked that very much. I really love the three Henry VI plays, which precede Richard III. I like seeing them all over several days, it really is a grand pageant that way, and those Henrys are SO theatrical. But seeing Richard III without them, I feel cheated!

*WHOA!*

By sheer coincidence I am watching Hamlet right now and did anyone else watch and notice that Hamlet and Gertrude (son and mother) *LIKE TOTALLY MAKE OUT FOR A MINUTE* DURING THEIR FIRST SCENE TOGETHER *!!!!?????*

And I mean "make out" make out, as in: "get a room, you two...preferably one with only uncomfortable chairs and a therapist in it" making out.

Continuous, lascivious kissing. Like, the lewdist thing I've seen in ANYTHING pre-1968.

Everything but tongues, for real, *in 1948.*

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 3, 2013 10:54 PM

> I just really wish they were showing the rarely aired Othello at 8:00, and not 4:00 in the GD morning.

"I wonder if he means gold-diggers... or that other well-known word."

Glenda Farrell, *Girl Missing* (1933)

I was going to record Othello but forgot. I did wake up in the wee hours and had a glimpse of it. The scene I watched seemed kind of over the top -- perhaps too grand gestures, acting for the stage but not the small screen.

I am so very disappointed.

I believe I have not seen this movie Hamlet and I was happy to have an opportunity to see it. The DVR was recording it faithfully as I was not able to watch until the last few minutes.

They cut so many of my favorite lines from the last scene that I doubt I will bother to watch it from the beginning.