Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
RMeingast

Ray Harryhausen Critters...

Cinémathèque québécois screening a bunch of Ray Harryhausen flicks this month:

http://www.cinematheque.qc.ca/fr/programmation/projections/cycle/ray-harryhausen-magicien-des-effets-speciaux

To advertise the event on its Facebook site, CQ used this video compilation of Harryhausen critters:

TCM aired "Sinbad and the Eye of the Tiger" last Saturday afternoon, so topical...

Very cool. Thanks, RM.

I've mentioned on this site before . . . there's a comprehensive docu about Harryhausen on the "First Men in the Moon" DVD special features. I was astonished to learn how much of his childhood play turned into a career -- and how supportive his parents were. I highly recommend it for all Harryhausen fans.

My faves, of course, are the skeletons and Talos in "Jason and the Argonauts."

AND . . . what a hard worker! Stop motion photography has to be painstakingly monotonous; a true labor of love. Harryhausen had it. Today's sfx folks owe him a debt of gratitude. I can (and do) watch his films over and over and over . . .

I love Harryhausen's magic. I was watching one of his classics and my wife was surprised that I like this type of 'kid' stuff. Well in some ways these movies make me feel like a kid again. Yea, a lot of the dialog is corny and the plots not well developed, but I watch them for when the critters come out to play.

THAT'S IT, Mr6 . . . the docu that appears as a special feature on the "First Men in the Moon" DVD.

I highly recommend it to all Harryhausen fans!

Harryhausen's creations just don't move they live. His films have a true sense of wonder something these modern cold CGI effects usually lack.

While watching the sound version of "Blackmail" on TCM late Sunday night, caught a promo for the Olivier flick "Clash of the Titans": http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title/987/Clash-of-the-Titans/

that features an interview with Mr. Harryhausen...

Hard to pick a favourite Harryhausen critter, as there are just so many good ones??

Not ashamed to admit that "Clash" is part of my DVD library, too. One of the best representations of Pegasus ever, IMHO.

Well, as a classic movie fan, Clash is part of your DVD collection because it has Laurence Olivier and Maggie Smith in it right! It couldn't be because of the critters. :)

> {quote:title=joefilmone wrote:}{quote}In a Harryhause film the critters are the STARS.

Yes, I was just going to comment on this myself...

Harryhausen's Animated Monsters a.k.a. HAMs are the best actors in any film they're in.

Even TCM's promo for "Clash of the Titans" spends more time on Harryhausen and his HAMs than on Olivier and Harry Hamlin, etc... (Trivia: Hamlin and Ursula Andress were a couple while this film was made and Maggie Smith was married to the film's screenwriter.)

Watching these flicks is simple harmless fun, IMHO...

And the critters still are winning over new fans, albeit little ones. My six year old grandson likes "The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad" and "Jason and the Argonauts". When we have sleepovers, he loves it when I show one of these with the lights out and the popcorn warm. No nightmares or trouble sleeping either.

He's seen several CGI movies with transformers and dinosaurs, but just shrugs them off.

Can't wait to show him more of Ray's wonderful work.

The Harryhausen website has lots of good stuff for fans:

http://www.rayharryhausen.com/filmography.php

And Ray Harryhausen creature list with photos and video here:

http://www.harryhausen.com/#

I don't know about you, but that squirrel in "The 3 Worlds of Gulliver" looks pretty scary (Click on the photo for the stop-motion animation):

http://www.harryhausen.com/#Squirrel

Work, work, work. That's what's gone from today's "epics". If you can appreciate the fact that Kong's fur keeps moving because it's the artist is handling the model between shots and 30 seconds of film takes a month to do you can't help but appreciate the work Ray did. I love ANY of his movies. Usually because his creatures are there. We're used to CGI now and there's no going back but at least the stuff is there to watch over & over.

This thread (and an earlier one) inspired me to check into my DVD library and discover that I did not have "Mysterious Island" (1961). So, I ordered it and voila, it's for tonight's viewing pleasure.

"Mysterious Island" (1961) was even better than I remembered! I never realized that Gary Merrill was in it.

The critters are the best, but the story ain't bad either.

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}

> "Mysterious Island" (1961) was even better than I remembered!

I like it very much. My favorite scene is with the giant crab and the manner in which they disposed of it. I have wondered always if it was the inspiration for the scene in: *Caveman* with the egg.

. . . and Bernard Herrmann did the music . . . just as in another Ray Harryhausen fave of mine, "Journey to the Center of the Earth." So, maybe Hermann had a thing for Harryhausen AND Jules Verne?!

I love discovering new things about old favorites!

Herrman's music was a perfect match for Harryhausen's fx. " Journey to the Center of the Earth" is one of my all time favorite movies and one of the few in which the use of real lizards for the dinosaurs actually works. I think it's important to introduce kids to these classic movies.

<" Journey to the Center of the Earth" is one of my all time favorite movies>

I'm right there with ya, joe. I grew up with it and still can watch it over and over.

(Although, I confess that I FF through Pat's singing near the beginning. I think my local TV channel must've cut that part out on the 4 o'clock movie screening when I was a kid. When I watched the DVD for the first time, I said: "What???")

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}

> . . . and Bernard Herrmann did the music . . . just as in another Ray Harryhausen fave of mine, "Journey to the Center of the Earth." So, maybe Hermann had a thing for Harryhausen AND Jules Verne?!

>

> I love discovering new things about old favorites!

>

Ray Harryhausen had nothing to do with JOURNEY TO THE CENTER OF THE EARTH. Zero connection.

Your facts and mine seem to be in conflict. Best to check these things out before typing snarkily. I have the film on DVD and there's a credit for Harryhausen.

I invite you to re-screen the film for yourself.

Or, check out the third paragraph:

http://www.renewtheaters.org/blog/2010/special-effects-stop-motion-animation-and-ray-harryhausen/

Or, perhaps YOU are not referring to the 1959 film.

Edited by: dpompper on Apr 16, 2013 7:57 AM

Edited by: dpompper on Apr 16, 2013 7:58 AM