Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Welsh Movies- WALES, "The Corn is Green" Bette Davis - TCM adds value

ajdjr73

:) I really applaud TCM for how they presented "The Corn is Green" with Bette Davis this week. When watching the movie previously on TCM, I have enjoyed the singing of the Welsh coal miners in various scenes and wished I could learn more about that.

TCM came through this time by pairing/juxtaposing "The Corn is Green" with Paul Robeson in "Proud Valley" which prominently features Welsh folk singing.

Thanks TCM for this thematic approach. As always, the introduction by Ben Mankiewicz was very edifying as well with various insights and factoids related to the line up. I love Bette Davis in this role.

The third movie in the genre was How Green Was My Valley which beat out Citizen Kane for Best Picture of the Year at the Oscars. It is a timeless movie with the same human conditions prevalent today right here and now.

Well Davis gets the unfair rap as being an actress that is always over the top; Playing a b***h kind of demands a powerful performance that can be perceived as over the top. But The Corn is Green, as well as Now Voyager and many other roles, are more understated performances.

I think Davis is one of the most talented and versatile actresses. Contrast Now Voyager with Baby Jane with All This and Heaven Too with The Sisters with The Man Who Came to Dinner with Jezebel with Juarez, etc.

There were a LOT of movies where people left the theater, seeing displays of social injustice, economic injustice, racial disparity and the like and thought, "SOMEBODY ought to DO something about that!", and that's as far as it ever went. Sure, the movies made more people AWARE, but rarely (if ever) spurred them on to action.

Anyway, I never liked "Corn" that much. How that kid never bashed Bette's head with a poker showed more restraint than I think actually humanly possible.

My preferrence goes to *How Green Was My Valley* which my Grandmother had me watch first when I was very young, explaining that it appealed to her personally as she grew up in a Pennsylvania coal mining town. I preferred the way the people were characterized, the performances, the story, and who would sit through two hours of Bette when Maureen O'Hara is available?

Sepiatone

I view this a little different than you do; I assume some people left the theater after seeing a 'social justice' type movie and changed how they treated others (e.g. some less well of then them, someone of another race or culture etc...), better even if they didn't take political action due to the times. This is similar to what we are seeing now with the gay rights movement. i.e. change has to happen one person at a time in their hearts and then political changes comes (slowly, yes, but it comes).

The Corn is Green moves me and I'm not known for being into that type of movie, per se. I guess it is because of Bette Davis and I'll take her over O'Hara any day of the week (and I'm a fan of O'Hara but no one tops Davis in my book).