Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Roger Ebert Has Died

EugeniaH

RIP to the man who truly loved movies. he and Gene Siskel were fierce competitors with both the spoken and written word and made their weekly TV show a "must see" event for me.

i particularly admired his DVD commentary for Citizen Kane which added multiple dimensions to Welles' masterpiece.

sad day.

Don't think Pauline Kael would have agreed with the "ever" part . . . nor might Roger Ebert.

According to wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pauline_Kael

and [Roger Ebert|http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Ebert|Roger Ebert], who has said that Kael "had a more positive influence on the climate for film in America than any other single person over the last three decades. . . "

What's amazing to me, and even inspiring, is how after the extreme physical limitations he suffered from his battles with cancer these few years of his life, Roger soldiered on with his work almost to the very end.

(...rest in peace, Mr. Ebert)

I admit to shedding a tear when I heard. SISKEL & EBERT was my favorite show in the 80's & 90's. Go on YouTube & check out some of their old reviews of movies like TAXI DRIVER, NETWORK, RAGING BULL, etc, etc. You'll find that Roger was spot on in that his opinion at the time proved to be the same as how we regard these classics now (whereas Gene, surprisingly, was a little short-sighted).

> That may be true, but I still think more people are familiar with Roger Ebert than Pauline Kael.

Not to take anything away from all that Pauline Kael did (and don't get me wrong, I was a fan and have a number of her books), but Roger Ebert (along with Gene Siskel) made film criticism accessible to the larger population.

Watch those early shows when Roger and Gene were broadcasting out of Chicago or the early days of their PBS show and you see a man whose love of film was always worn on his sleeve and he loved sharing that passion with us up until just yesterday.

RIP Roger.

Hope you are at the bar in heaven tonight being toasted by Gene, Paddy and all those craftspeople whose films you have loved and shared with us.

What Siskle and Ebert did for film criticism was to give it in a "movie viewer's" level of discussion. Too many critics over the years would critique movies as if they were conducting a college film class. S&E displayed it as would the guy on the street. Mostly Ebert, in my opinion. No, I didn't always agree with him, either. But I couldn't dismiss his critiques as being stupid. OR bloated.

Thumbs down on this news...

Sepiatone

I was genuinely saddened when I heard of Roger Ebert's passing yesterday. I always liked his movie reviews, although I often disagreed with him. I have just about all his yearly film review collections, as well as a number of other books written by him about films.

He has been compared to Pauline Kael, another film critic I liked. Although Kael maybe had a more cerebral style to her reviews (after all, she wrote for the New Yorker ), they have both been singled out for being among the first film critics to have a more populist approach towards movies and the critiquing of them.

Both Kael and Ebert were always authentic, basing their opinions of the films they wrote about upon their emotional reaction to them as much as all the other considerations inherent in movie-reviewing.

There is a great radio show in Canada, called "Q", on CBC 1. (By the way, next week its host is interviewing Debbie Reynolds.) I'm posting a link to this morning's program, which devoted an hour to remembering Roger Ebert. It includes a fascinating 2011 interview with Roger Ebert. Worth checking out. (No visuals..hey, it's a radio show ! )

http://www.cbc.ca/q/popupaudio.html?clipIds=2136915113,%202371417351,%202371417693

Hey Roger, wherever you are, bet you don't have to watch any more bad movies ! Rest in peace.

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}

> <I haven't heard his DVD commentary for *Citizen Kane>*

>

> *I have and recommend it for his useful and entertaining insights.*

>

His Casablanca commentary is well worth listening to, as well. Informative without being antiseptic. The love of cinema is always evident.

This has hit me quite hard. I feel like I've lost a friend who never happened to meet me. I heard the news just a few hours after reading the last post Mr. Ebert made to his blog explaining his planned "leave of presense."

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2013/04/a_leave_of_presense.html

I was aware his long-standing struggle with cancer had taken a turn for the worse, but I was still stunned by the news. His mind was sharp as ever, and, until very recently, his shear output of work was remarkable. Over 300 reviews last year! Not to mention his blog, which I've followed for a number of years now.

Some of my favorite reviews were negative ones. Heaven help the bad movie up against a brilliant critic. :)

I will genuinely miss you, sir.

All the best to his wife, family, friends and colleagues.