Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Streaming and movies on demand

glasbat

How many people would like for TCM to offer streaming via a Roku and access to their movie database on demand?

I do not pay for cable and have been streaming from Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix for years.

there are thousands of movies on youtube. a link that lists some of them is below. but they do not have the full turner library of movies. it would be wonderful to be able to access the turner movies and certainly worth a reasonable subscription or on demand fee.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF7198D24E5EC5B3C

> {quote:title=glasbat wrote:}{quote}

> How many people would like for TCM to offer streaming via a Roku and access to their movie database on demand?

>

> I do not pay for cable and have been streaming from Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix for years.

>

I would LOVE for TCM to start an online service for Roku.I'd be willing to pay them $10 bucks/mo.for the service cuz it's worth it IMHO.

BTW, WB is starting a new streaming service available only thru Roku.They have a HUGE movie archive and will draw from it as well as MGM,RKO,and AA. Also HBOGO is considering selling subs.to people by linking their account to a persons ISP instead of having that stupid requirement of needing a current cable sub.to watch their content.

I dropped my sat.sub.~8/mos.ago and am glad i did. IMO the internet is the wave of the future of tv watching.Screw cable and satellite,they've been ripping people off for years and they're still getting away with it.I hope HBOGO does link their service to ISP's.If they do it will AFAIK represent the first real defection from the cable/sat.tv monopoly that they've held for many years,and other service providers(including TCM) are bound to follow if they know they'll be able to make $$$$$$. It just takes time. :)

> {quote:title=glasbat wrote:}{quote}Thank you so much for the information about WB. I just setup the Roku 3. Come on TCM provide streaming. You are losing revenue. People need their favorite classic movie fix anytime 24/7.

When TCM finally wakes up and smells the coffee,when they realize that there's a HUGE demand for their service on the internet AND they can PROFIT by it,AND they can drop their carriage exlcusivity rights agreements with cable/sat.,THEN we'll see TCM on the net.I just hope it doesn't take more 5 yrs.But if TCM waits tooo long and other services come online offering much of the same content that TCM shows,then TCM will have missed the boat and their service will no longer be as needed,and TCM will most likely lose a good portion of their viewing audience to the internet.

Excellent point made on this topic. Here is some more background info.

The Turner Library *was* originally made up of all RKO films, all pre-1986 MGM films and the pre-1948 Warners films.

The Turner Library, however, is no longer owned by TCM. Ted Turner, when he made the deal with Time/Warner/AOL a few years back, sold the library to Time/Warner as part of that deal. The Turner Library is now controlled by Warner Brothers. *This means TCM has to rent every film it shows*

> Warner is starting out with very low movie volume. There are only 11 movies available for the 1930 decade.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> This link explains services and has links to the warner site

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/ae/cybertainment/cybertainment-warner-bros-streaming-old-films-and-tv-shows-682187/

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Yes i know.At this time there are only 123 movies listed along with a few old tv programs.

According to their website there are only 6 silent movies,7 westerns,and 27 dramas.

Everybody,including myself, are waiting to see how many more titles will be added by the time it's added to Roku.They need to add a LOT more content if they expect people to pay $10 bucks/mo.IMHO,without more and better titles the chances for success of the service is dim.

But with the vast library Warner has,not to mention the MGM,RKO,and AA titles they have access to,there's no reason to not have a large selection of Good movies to choose from.The service is still in beta testing,so we'll have to wait and see.Those people who have opted for the 2 week free trial to watch on their PC's are the beta testers.I've talked to a few of them and they say there are still some bugs to be worked out before its release to Roku.

• 2 weeks later...

I have not been able to watch TCM for about 5 years now due to how expensive it is, and I keep waiting and waiting for this to happen! On my cable service (comcast) TCM is only available with the most expensive package. But I gladly pay Netflix and Hulu for their content, and would be willing to pay comparable amount to TCM via Roku.

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For me personally, it's not a big deal if TCM expands its streaming options or not, I have the channel and use my DVR to catch things I want to watch. I also have Netflix so I can usually compensate for what TCM isn't airing and stream the movie through my TV or have the movie delivered to me via mail.

I am not too familiar with Roku or the offerings on Hulu so I'll not comment on that. I see that with Amazon you can watch a lot of things instantly and pay a nominal fee to rent a streaming movie. I don't like watching movies on my computer though, unless I'm watching it directly from the DVD. I'd rather watch on the big TV with all the big sound and all that.

I wouldn't want to have to pay all these individual subscription fees for everything. I do pay for Netflix; but I get my money's worth, so that works for me.

I don't mind that TCM's streaming is limited right now to showing films that recently aired. It's comparable to Comcast's "On Demand" section where they would include a handful of films that are scheduled to air in the upcoming week or two. If TCM were to expand to a Netflix-esque instant streaming service, I would worry that revenue to the channel itself may decrease and they'd have to do things, like add commercials, to compensate. I am against anything that could possibly add commercials, and consequently editing, to my favorite channel.

I was super excited to find out about Warner's Archive Collection where you buy films and they print them on demand. There are quite a few films in there that I'm interested in buying; but I'll have to hope TCM airs the films so I can watch before buying (or I use another means to preview the film). I don't just buy movies willy nilly.

• 3 months later...

Watch TCM still hasn't come to my town.

There were several movies on TCM this past week where I noticed some glitches in their transmission. Some pixilation; stop/starts; black screens.. Every time this happens, my first thoughts are of those who may be recording at the time - especially when the movie in question is a rarely shown feature. That has got to **** some of them off.

• 4 weeks later...

> How many people would like for TCM to offer streaming via a Roku and access to their movie database on demand?

>

> I do not pay for cable and have been streaming from Amazon, Hulu, and Netflix for years.

>

I would LOVE for TCM to start an online service for Roku.I'd be willing to pay them $10 bucks/mo.for the service cuz it's worth it IMHO.

BTW, WB is starting a new streaming service available only thru Roku.They have a HUGE movie archive and will draw from it as well as MGM,RKO,and AA. Also HBOGO is considering selling subs.to people by linking their account to a persons ISP instead of having that stupid requirement of needing a current cable sub.to watch their content.

I dropped my sat.sub.~8/mos.ago and am glad i did. IMO the internet is the wave of the future of tv watching.Screw cable and satellite,they've been ripping people off for years and they're still getting away with it.I hope HBOGO does link their service to ISP's.If they do it will AFAIK represent the first real defection from the cable/sat.tv monopoly that they've held for many years,and other service providers(including TCM) are bound to follow if they know they'll be able to make $$$$$$. It just takes time. :)

The only thing I'm dissatified with concerning my cable service is the price.  So something less expensive is somewhat appealing.

But if that means another upheaval of the way I do things that I've become comfortable with, I'm not a happy camper. 

Y'all "technophiles" have to consider that not everyone is "tech savvy", and thinking that internet TV viewing should be the wave of the future need to realize that there are still many thousands of people who are NOT online, and taking away their only form of entertainmaent/distraction, and forcing them to do so isn't a considerate alternative.  It's similar to another "vinyl/CD" maisma, in which people have been forced to buy another component because the medium they absolutely had NO problems with is no longer available, due to everyone else, in sheep-like fashion, drinking the Kool-Ade. 

Sepiatone

I did a Contact Us email to my ISP tonight asking if they were going to offer Watch TCM streaming in the future. I already know the answer, I'm sure, but what the heck - right?

Re: Cable provider Bright House Networks

Inquiry as to availability of TCM Live Streaming in Central Florida

After 1 reply from my ISP from a rep who thought I was talking about the TCM Cable Channel.. I re-emailed, clarifying the situation and included a link to the app so they could see exactly what I was referring to. Their second reply still got it wrong with them constantly referring to the TMC Channel Live Stream - not TCM. I'm not going to re-re-reply to that one.. no sir.

The gist of their second reply was that they are not now, nor in the foreseeable future going to offer TCM's Live Streaming. She did say they have a system to handle these requests from customers and mine would be forwarded - enough requests and they will pay attention. I'm afraid, unless more than a million customers petition for this simultaneously, there will be no TCM Live Streaming in Central Florida via Bright House Networks.

I was advised to watch the newspapers for notices, which she said would be posted if and when they make any changes to anything at Bright House Networks along the lines of programming.

This is 1CONFUZED1, signing off..