Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HIGH NOON on the Encore Westerns Channel

TopBilled

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote about *High Noon:* }{quote}It airs on Saturday April 6th.

In about ten minutes.

It's followed by *Seven Men from Now* which is really ironic. The outlaw in the cave on the right is played by John Beradino who as Dr. Hardy was the original star of *General Hospital.* This show began year 51 just this week. You can't make this stuff up.

• 2 weeks later...

{font:Times New Roman}After watching this movie over the week-end I saw Randolph Scott’s *A Lawless Street* last night and noticed some similarities. Both have quick-draw, no nonsense marshals at the end of their careers and related marital problems. The town seems content to let him do all the law enforcing even when a tyrant takes over the town. Unlike Hadleyville the citizens for law and order finally wake up and catch the tyrant after the marshal has done most of the work. When they tell him they now realize they must do their part and are ready to he turns in his badge saying they no longer need a man like him and leaves for his ranch with his wife who finally sees that the town and people were worth fighting for. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}Most of the actors are 50s Western veterans-Michael Pate, Don Megowan, Jeanette Nolan and Frank Ferguson among others. Warner Anderson is the tyrant and Angela Lansbury is the Marshall’s actress wife fitting in quite well. Jean Parker is the tyrant’s mistress who plays a big part in his downfall. This movie is not as heavy as *High Noon* but is good just the same. {font}

{font:Times New Roman}The other interesting thing is an unusual music score especially when the town becomes “wide open” and the rowdies take over. It’s different from most Westerns and almost jazzy. It fits though. Enjoy!{font}

• 1 month later...

Okay, here's a big mystery. Amy, Helen and their luggage go to the depot then the women board the train. Amy hears the gunfire just before the train pulls out then jumps off and runs back to town as it starts rolling. She proves her love for Will by leaving behind all her worldly goods before she ever shoots Pierce.

At the end after all the Miller gang is dead Will and Amy leave town in the buckboard. The luggage is now in the back instead of on the way to St.Louis. How? It's funny I've never caught this until recently but then I'm not the director who should have. It's lucky for Amy as that wedding dress would have gotten pretty dirty mighty fast.

Well this is easy to explain. Helen, Will's ex-girlfriend, sees that Amy has left the train and she has the conductor remove her luggage. Helen knows Amy will need her clothes since Will is known to be a cheapskate. What women would leave a gal with only one dress!

TopBilled: Thank you for that link. I see my luggage gaffe was included but another one I caught.

When the Miller gang is walking four abreast down the street they pass a poster touting a performance of "Mazzeppa". This is the play Adah Menken performed in during the 1850s. From the ladies' costumes I gathered that this was about the mid-late 1870s and the lady had long died by then. With the boarding house sign and the envelopes I guess we can put our own dates on the thing.

As to that second star: John Wayne claimed that after Will dropped his badge in the street he ground it into the dirt with his heel and that angered him. I've seen the movie enough to know that does not happen but if that other badge was that close to Gary Cooper's feet that explains why Mr. Wayne thought that's what he saw. I'm glad that's set straight

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I suppose in Duke's world it is more " American" (whatever THAT means) to go right on working as sheriff for a town of ingrates. If he wanted to criticize snything how about calling the cowardly townsmen unAmerican for not standing up and supporting their sheriff when he needed help.