Find results in...

Paul Henreid as SOTM July 2013

TopBilled

th.jpeg

_July 2_

IN OUR TIME (1944) with Ida Lupino & Nancy Coleman

DEVOTION (1946) with Ida Lupino & Olivia de Havilland

SONG OF LOVE (1947) with Katharine Hepburn & Robert Walker

DEEP IN MY HEART (1954) with Jose Ferrer & Merle Oberon..He's 6th billed.

MEET ME IN LAS VEGAS (1956) with Dan Dailey & Cyd Charisse..He's a guest star.

_July 9_

NOW, VOYAGER (1942) with Bette Davis & Claude Rains

DECEPTION (1946) with Bette Davis & Claude Rains

THE SPANISH MAIN (1945) with Maureen O'Hara & Walter Slezak

THE MADWOMAN OF CHAILLOT (1969) with Katharine Hepburn & Charles Boyer..He's 6th billed

DEAD RINGER (1964) with Bette Davis & Karl Malden..He's the director

_July 16_

JOAN OF PARIS (1942) with Michele Morgan & Thomas Mitchell

HOLLOW TRIUMPH (1948) with Joan Bennett & Eduard Franz

SO YOUNG, SO BAD (1950) with Catherine McLeod & Cecil Clovelly

THIEF OF DAMASCUS (1952) with John Sutton & Jeff Donnell

SIREN OF BAGDAD (1953) with Patricia Medina & Hans Conreid

NEVER SO FEW (1959) with Frank Sinatra & Gina Lollobrigida..He's 6th billed

_July 23_

HOLLYWOOD CANTEEN (1944) with Bette Davis, John Garfield & Joan Leslie..He's a guest star

BETWEEN TWO WORLDS (1944) with John Garfield & Sydney Greenstreet

OF HUMAN BONDAGE (1946) with Eleanor Parker & Alexis Smith

LAST OF THE BUCCANEERS (1950) with Jack Oakie & Karin Booth

PIRATES OF TRIPOLI (1955) with Patricia Medina & Paul Newland

THE FOUR HORSEMEN OF THE APOCALYPSE (1962) with Glenn Ford & Ingrid Thulin..He's 5th billed

_July 30_

THE CONSPIRATORS (1944) with Hedy Lamarr & Sydney Greenstreet

CASABLANCA (1942) with Humphrey Bogart & Ingrid Bergman

TEN THOUSAND BEDROOMS (1957) with Dean Martin & Anna Maria Alberghetti..He's 6th billed

OPERATION CROSSBOW (1965) with Sophia Loren & George Peppard..He's 10th billed

GOODBYE, MR. CHIPS (1939) with Robert Donat & Greer Garson..He's 5th billed as Paul Von Hernried

Saying 'acceptable choice' is a very good way to phase this.

Yes, I can see others saying 'but this star was a bigger star' (e.g. Susan Hayward), but as you know it isn't just how famous a studio era star was or not, but TCM's access to that stars movies.

For example, I checked the list of SOTM and found that Dana Andrews has never been featured. I feel he was a bigger star than Henreid but it is my understanding TCM doesn't have as much access to his movies as a WB contract player like Henreid.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Apr 5, 2013 2:33 PM

Thanks. I think I would have saved his tribute for a different month when there were only four weeks available and I would have trimmed the selections down to focus just on his starring roles. Some of this seems like filler. He is barely in HOLLYWOOD CANTEEN and OPERATION CROSSBOW is best used for a SUTS tribute for Peppard or a SOTM tribute for Loren.

Instead, I would have used July for a performer that has a more extensive filmography, perhaps Hayward or Andrews, where it would be easy to fill up five weeks with films in which the honoree has starring roles.

Nonetheless, Henreid is a deserving candidate. He turned to directing after his days as a leading man had ended, mostly in television. He directed 28 installments of Alfred Hitchcock Presents as well as 10 episodes of The Third Man TV series and 9 episodes of The Big Valley.

• 2 months later...

{font:Calibri}One of the July 16th films, *So Young, So Bad,* introduces three actresses who are young but definitely not bad: Anne Jackson, Anne Francis, and Rosita Moreno aka Rita. That’s a lot of great future performances and we get to see how it all began. {font}

{font:Calibri}In many of the movies chosen for SOTM the honored actor/actress does not have a leading role but is at the beginning or ending of a career. And if writing, directing or even producing was a part of that career why should those films not be included even if they did not perform in them? It adds to the appreciation for that person as a complete package. {font}

>In many of the movies chosen for SOTM the honored actor/actress does not have a leading role but is at the beginning or ending of a career. And if writing, directing or even producing was a part of that career why should those films not be included even if they did not perform in them? It adds to the appreciation for that person as a complete package.

Great post. I definitely concur!

When Leslie Howard was SOTM last July, TCM did show films he directed and produced. Sometimes he starred in them, and sometimes he did not.

Beautiful shot, TopBilled. Ida's eyes are sparkling.

Just thought I'd point out - if you're an Amazon Prime member you can supplement your Paul Henreid viewing experience with Carol Reed's Night Train to Munich and William Dieterle's Rope of Sand. The former is also on Netflix.

I have a question.

How come everyone, including Robert Osborne, pronounces this actor's last name "Hen-reed" ?

Isn't he Austrian? ( or something?)

I'd always thought the name was pronounced " ohn-reehd", not saying the "H" at all, and sort of fizzling out with a soft "D".

Is his name really spoken as "HenReeD" ? Then all these years I've been not only wrong, but must have looked like a poser. (as opposed to hoser.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 3, 2013 11:47 AM

my phonetic spelling is almost certainly off. But maybe you get the drift...

I wonder how Henreid was pronounced back in the 40s and 50s by the media. I assume the WB studio or his agent advised him to pronounce his name in a way that would be easier for American audience to say and remember. They didn't want another Ann Dvorak situation! :)

I'm with ya here, MissW. I always thought it was pronounced as you did it, also.

And so I suppose NOW the question might be: When Paul lived out there in La La Land all those years, did HE pronounce the city "Los Angle-Less", "Loss Angle-LEES", or just plain ol' "Los Angeles" like Jack Webb did??? LOL

(...sorry, couldn't resist) ;)

Btw, during the filler/promotion for Paul which TCM is presently running, you might have noticed that his daughter pronounces their last name with the "H" sound, and so I suppose we have our answer to this.

I always find it both sad and annoying when people change the pronounciation of their name simply because others don't understand how to pronounce it.

It's very "Ameri-centric".

What's so difficult about saying "Ohn-reehd"? (again, my phonetic spelling is incorrect, I know).

Whenever I meet someone whose name, first or last, is unfamiliar to me, I make a point of learning how to say it. Usually it takes about 30 seconds. I figure it's their name, I should make the tiny effort involved in saying it correctly. It's kind of a respect thing.

(I'm not saying that Paul Henreid felt disrespected because Americans didn't know how to say his name, though.)

Edited by: misswonderly on Jul 3, 2013 1:40 PM

(small correction)

Yeah, well trust me here, MissW. I know EXACTLY what ya mean here!

Yep, for YEARS now I've been thinkin' of legally changin' the spellin' of MY first name to "D-W-I-T-E" instead of how it's actually spelled, "D-W-I-G-H-T".

(...I just figure it would save me a whole lot o' my time from havin' to spell it correctly for the Starbucks baristas who keep wantin' to spell it that first way whenever they write it on that cup I'm gonna get my order in!) ;)

> {quote:title=jamesjazzguitar wrote:}{quote}

> They didn't want another Ann Dvorak situation!

I must wonder if the wonderful and very important actress Vera Vasilyevna Kholodnaya has been slighted by Americans because presenters fear pronouncing the name.

> {quote:title=Dargo2 wrote:}{quote}

> I just figure it would save me a whole lot o' my time from havin' to spell it correctly

I have heard of a man whose last name was "Paper" who complained of people often misspelling his last name. It seemed universal that people wished to insert an "i" into it.

Thanks, Nora, for mentioning those other Henreid titles available online.

There are a few that TCM is not airing, which are available for purchase on ioffer. One of them costars Merle Oberon and was made before they did DEEP IN MY HEART. It is called PARDON MY FRENCH.

Okay folks, gettin' back to Mr. Henreid here....

I was never that big a fan, BUT after watching him last night in "In Our Time" and "Song Of Love", I'm beginning to more appreciate his talent.

(...I suppose that's always one of the nice things about these SOTM showcases...it gives one a chance to re-evaluate how one might feel about a performer if they're only or primarily familiar with a portion their filmography and with their more well known performances)

Well, yes and no, TB. You see, I think the added emphasis in content which Bob Osborne places upon the SOTM selection during his intros helps a bit in defining to the viewer what made the SOTM "unique" and worth our time to possibly appreciate a little more.

Also, because the SOTM's films are run consecutively, I think it can help a viewer appreciate how much or how little a star could "stretch".

What do you mean consecutively? In the mornings, when three or four films featuring the same artist are shown, you can still get that same effect. If you mean chronologically, the SOTM films are seldom shown in the order in which they were originally produced.

Also, I think a lot of people fast-forward over Bob's intros and hit mute when he appears again after the movie has aired. Again, there are a lot of ways to appreciate these artists without having to wait for TCM to guide you. TCM can be used as a reference point or a chance to re-view a film or artist you haven't seen in a while, but appreciation can occur with and without TCM.

Well my wife is Italian and named Mariangela. One reason I fell in love with her is how she says her name with of course an Italian accent. Well sometimes when we meet people for the first time and she tells them her name, they just cannot get it right! They will call her Maria or even Mary. She or I will correct them, but a few minutes later she is called Mary. If we were going to a Paula Deen party I would advise her to say her name is Mary from the start! :)

I would also hope if Henreid was asked to accept a change in how his name was pronounced he wouldn't be offend. If he was Jack Warner would of just told them something like "if you're offended we will ask you to do what we did with John Garfield! " (born *Jacob Garfinkle).*