Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Cher

Cher is everything Drew Barrymore is not. She knows classic films, she is genuinely interested in classic films, she is cute, and she is charming. She would be the ultimate long-term Essentials co-host. Too bad many potential younger viewers probably don't even know who she is.

I kept wondering if they got Cher to sit with Robert Osborne in an effort to make HER look younger, or HIM?

At any rate, I thought she did a fine job as co-host. You gotta admit, we've seen WORSE get a shot.

Sepiatone

What a nice surprise to see Cher with R.O. introducing women's films. She knows her classic movies. Fun. And TCM opening with my very favorite Joan Crawford role "Mildred Pierce". Just the best and I never tire of seeing it.

And come back soon, Cher. We love you.

Eeh, I suppose she was somewhat adequate, but sorry, I wasn't as impressed with her "knowledge" or her delivery of that knowledge, or how she interacted with Bob as you seem to be, finance.

(...and what was with that whole "NO, you're right!" thing she responded to Bob with a number of times last night after he made a comment, HUH?!...I was always under the impression that if one is going to agree with a comment, the response is supposed to be somethin' like, "YES, you're right!")

Cher`s comments on PENNY SERENADE were spot on. She talked about the fine support that Buleah Bondi and Edgar Bucanan gave. I agrred with her on Cary Grant`s performance. I have never seen him so emotional before.

I just saw the intro and outro to Penny Serenade and she was pretty good.

During the outro Uncle Bob mentioned how way back when when women

reached a certain age, they started to dress like grandmothers, and some

other stuff about age and looks and....well let's not get too much into that.

Whoever did her plastic surgery should did a fine job.

I thought Cher's choices were very interesting - the Queen of Cynicism, who spent her entire career acting the perfect cynic - chose three totally sentimental films - I wasn't in the mood for any of them being a cynic myself so lo and behold HBO was showing Mask A wonderful performance of Cher's. She was young and naturally beautiful, with a very expressive face - I wonder what roles she could portray now with a face that doesn't seem capable of movement - The Picture of Dorian Grey perhaps.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think the Spotlight next Friday begins at 8:00 with *So Proudly We Hail!* the 1943 Paramount film about women nurses on the Pacific Front in WWII starring Claudette

Colbert, Veronica Lake, and Paulette Goddard in her one and only Oscar-nominated role.

I think it's (maybe?) a TCM premiere, I know it used to show on AMC, that's where I first saw it many years ago during my obsession du Veronica Lake.

It's a pretty rough movie if I remember right, very gritty.

ps- I think Cher did fine, and she looks great. I think it would be awesome if she brought some Lori Davis exfoliating cream and five of her girlfriends with her and they had an infomercial while trying out new skin cremes on Bob and discussing the movie.

pss- someone else please tell me you remember those too.

> {quote:title=finance wrote:}{quote}Those?.....Exfoliating cremes? Girfriends? Oscar nominations? AMC?

The "Lori Davis exfoliating creme skin care line" (or something of the like) Infomercials that Cher did back in the early nineties(?)

They were lampooned on SNL (back when the show was merely mediocre and not utter dreck- I recall finding them moderately amusing at the time) and raised a lot of eyebrows in HOLLYWOOD (this is back before Botox, when eyebrows could be raised) that Cher- a recent Oscar winner- was "diminishing her brand" by appearing in them.

I am amazed at the criticisms bombarded on this board for "incidental" hosts on TCM. Remember, I don't get TCM, so I haven't seen Cher, Drew or any of these hosts. But I am interviewed on TV enough to know how it goes...

You may spend an entire day conversing with another person on a subject you are knowledgeable and passionate about and it's edited down to 4 minutes and only a couple of key statements. How can anyone get a real sense of anything in 4 minutes?

While I think Robt O does an OK job as a host because he's personable & well spoken, his spots are well rehearsed but could be much better written and more informative.

OTOH, when you put two people in the mix, you're looking at spontaneous conversation and getting an entertaining & informative few minutes is much more a crapshoot.

I think TCM goes far out of their way to present interesting mixes of celebrity participation, informative documentaries and genre spotlights all concerning classic film. No other CABLE CHANNEL bothers with any "extras" for their viewers, instead it's about money.

If I had TCM, I'd be grateful for the intelligent variety they offer.

I tend to agree with you as it relates to the guest host that are only one for one night. Some I find interesting and others not so much but I'm sure if I was picking the guest host people would feel the same about my choices.

But I do understand where people are coming from as it relates to Drew since she is a co-host of a series. Now I find Drew very cute (both in looks and her persona). She can make me smile and if she was just another guess host that would be understandable (given her family legacy), but she just doesn't have what it takes, when it comes to classic movies, to be a co-host with RO. i.e. I don't find myself looking forward to what she is going to say each week.

I really don't care that much as I don't pay much attention to the hosts.

I rarely watch The Essentials, so I don't see Drew very often. Cher did a

pretty good job on the one I saw.

Maybe they should invite Dionne Warwick and her Psychic Friends on

for a line-up of supernaturally themed flicks. She just went bankrupt, so

she could probably use a little green. Got to start somewhere.