Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
trpjcy

Cher's Movie Pics

I have found it interesting that the movies that Cher has chosen as her favorites, have also been my favorites over the years. Movies that I can watch over and over. again.

Movies that I can watch over and over again...

Of course that's true of most of TCM Movies....

I adore Cher and I find her choices very interesting and intelligent, just as I find her. I would have liked to see her as "The Essentials" co-host...I think the chemistry between She and Robert is excellent!

I do like Cher, but I scratched my head at her statement that she didn't think she liked Claudette Colbert, but because she selected so many of her films, she guessed that she might like her after all.

Still take her over Drew in an instant.

It was cool to see So Proudly We Hail ! for the first time in- gasp- 20 years? I distinctly recall seeing it on AMC, it's one of those films that one distinctly recalls- even years later.

Good film- compelling as hell- a little eyebrow raisingly HOLLYWOOD at times (as are a lot of WWII pics.) Well-acted by all, with the exception of Sonny Tufts (Kansas) who was nonetheless likeable. The ending is particularly effective. I especially liked what Colbert did with her face at the end of the picture, as her husband's letter is read aloud. I think it might actually be her best performance(?) It's unusual that Paulette Goddard was nominated for supporting actress for this film as she was a big star, had been around some time, and is in one of those roles that bordered on being a lead (she is second-billed.) Nonetheless, she was excellent, and some kind of recognition was deserved for the (seeming) effortlessness, earthiness and likeabilty she projected onscreen in everything she ever did. Had she had some real BIG scene, she might've had more of a shot at the award than I think she did (Katina Paxinou won in 1943 for For Whom the Bell Tolls ). Veronica Lake is also solid in the most memorable moment of the film. I read on wikipedia there was a feeling she would be the one nominated for the Oscar, but no- Paulette was the sole acting nominee for the film.

God, I over-Oscar everything, don't I?

Nonetheless, good film, maybe a little manipulative, but not overtly so (for which it deserves some credit- as do all good WWII films)

I give it three-and-half out of four.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 13, 2013 12:27 PM

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 13, 2013 12:30 PM

Os went out of his way to say several times that la Cher was *the decider* on the film titles, so. Props to her for picking So Proudly and White Cliffs and a few of the other titles that aren't Duck Soup or Wuthering Heights. *And props to TCM for dealing with Paramount in order to show So Proudly We Hail! .*

*Thanks and feel free to show it again soon.*

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 13, 2013 12:26 PM

I think what she was saying is the reason she never thought of Colbert as a favorite was because other than her role as Cleopatra, she didn't play "saucy" roles. She probably meant Colbert was one note, goody 2 shoes type, rather than having more bad girl or sexy type roles. That's why she was never one of her favorites. Once she realized that so many of her (Cher's) favorite films, starred Colbert, she realized of course that she obviously liked her very much.

I thoroughly enjoyed watching "So Proudly We Hail" last night. I had never seen it before and actually had it confused with "Three Came Home" up until a few years ago. The scene where Veronica Lake blew herself up with a grenade left me speechless. For its time, it was a realistic movie. No song and dance routines or silly story lines. A+

> {quote:title=finance wrote: (Claudette Colbert)}{quote} didn't have a very saucy appearance. She always looked to me like someone's grandmother when she was young.

agreed...although I note, you could say the same thing about Jane Wyman or June Allyson but there's something about Claudette, a warmth, a naturalness, an ease in her own skin that helps make her more memorable/convincing/endearing.

And I think she played saucy in 1934's The Sign of the Cross, which is a pretty saucy affair all-round from what I hear (sadly I've not seen it.)

I implied that Colbert wasn't very sexy. I never went as far as to group her with June Allyson. Compared to Allyson, Colbert was the second coming of Rita Hayworth.

LOL. We know how much you love June.......

I must say my jaw dropped a bit during Cher's discussion of Claudette Colbert. I thought has she not seen Midnight?

I guess you're somehow forgetting the hitchhiking scene(among others) in her Oscar winning performance in "It Happened One Night", eh lavender?! ;)

Yep, she was pretty "saucy" in that role, also.

But yeah, on the whole, I pretty much agree with you and with finance's "grandmotherly" thing here.

(...though I wonder how much of this we can attribute to the little Page Boy hairstyle she sported for so many years, which I always thought made her appear too "matronly")

Yes, that hairstyle she had make her look older and clearly reduce her appeal to me.

Only Jane Wyman in the 50's had a worst hairstyle as far as making her look older and less sexy than she really was compared to her 40s movies where she wore her hair long and more natural.

Another way to put it. Paulette Goddard, Colbert's contemporary, had a very modern face. You could picture her as a young actress in 2013. Claudette had a very old -fashioned face.

Dargo, I didn't forget Colbert lifting her skirt to show some leg in *It Happened One Night*. I was giving my opinion as to what Cher was saying, to answer finance's question. I stated no opinion of my own as to whether I thought Colbert was sexy. Reread finance's first statement. He was questioning why Cher thought she didn't like Colbert, but then realized she did, since she was in so many of her favorite movies. He wrote that was a head scratcher to him. I asked finance to think about roles Colbert did, that's all. Not sure why your comment to me was necessary?

That is true, and I have to say, I find Paulette Goddard *extremely attractive.*

This is the standard Claudette 'do, later known as The "Jane Wyman" special:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSE5XwtoEB2BrJnnkVSqCq

...which yeah, is boring and not sexy and too matronly (esp. when combined with her husky voice.) One also gets the sense that after many years of heavy styling, it got to where it could morph back into shape like that liquid nitrogen guy in Terminator 2.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 16, 2013 9:41 AM