Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

anyone here have a collection of classic films on LaserDisc

I have about 400 LD's, and several working players. I've been prioritizing those titles that are most likely not to be put to DVD, or otherwise have extras on them that no DVD version has. One of my prized possessions is the Pioneer Special Edition of 1776 with interesting commentaries by Peter Hunt, before he went and did his own restoration with Joe Capps.

It's not a perfect version, but I like it much more than that newer version they have out now.

I'm the proud owner of over 500 LDs and two working players. I have replaced some tiltes with DVDs and Blu Rays if they have been remastered or if they contain new extras.

The packaging of the LDs is often quite superior and the artwork alone is a good enough reason to keep it. For example, "Platoon" has a large booklet with photos and the making of the movie text.

"The Dirty Dozen" arrived with 8x10 stills and a one sheet poster. The Criterion "The Great Escape" has an audio commentary by John Sturges and others, although this will finally be included in the upcoming 50th anniversary Blu Ray.

John Wayne's "The Alamo" has the restored road show widescreen version that is shown on TCM but will never be in Blu Ray format due to deterioration. It also contains the full, long version of the Brian Huberman documentary.

Good thing I have a lot of room and a wonderful wife.