Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Born To Be Bad (1950) Today 4pm

cinefool

I agree that Mel Ferrer steals the picture. Also the romantic paring of Ryan and Fontaine has to rank as one of my all time favorite odd couples. At first I felt it was just poor casting (e.g. like Hepburn and Tayor in Undercurrent), but since the standard Fontaine persona is a fake in this film i.e. she really isn't as shy and reserved as she pretends and instead is 'born to be bad', the combo of her and the very edgy Ryan works.

>but since the standard Fontaine persona is a fake in this film i.e. she really isn't as shy and reserved as she pretends and instead is 'born to be bad', the combo of her and the very edgy Ryan works.

I agree. He seems to be a cheap, low-down cad, but she doesn't seem to mind. :)

You catching this cool-e-o day celebrating Robert Ryan, second only in hachachacha hotness to Sterling Hayden? No one can make their mothers lock up their daughters faster than Hayden and Ryan.

Born To Be Bad wasn't his best, ole simpering Joan can muck up a movie like no one else. How would you liked to have been Joan Leslie? Poor Joan.

But Crossfire? Yowza! Hayden and Mitchum (ever watch him walk away, no of course not you're a guy!) and Young and my man Levene? You can't get much better than that lineup.

Act of Violence? Excellent, even if Ryan was responsible for getting the guy killed, of which the ending seemed to have absolved him.

He was even good as a washed up boxer.

Hope you were grooving to Bob's birthday, or DVR'ed it, whatever that is. :)

IMO Robert Ryan may be the most underappreciated actor of his era, even if TCM buffs seem to understand his greatness. He always exudes a naturalness that simply can't be faked, and is all too rare among even the biggest of stars.

Born to be Bad has always fascinated me in one key respect that has nothing to do with Ryan, namely the similarity of Joan Fontaine's Christabel character to Anne Baxter's Eve Harrington in the Bette Davis movie from the same year. With their similar facial expressions and overall demeanor, plus the way they change their characters from strategically deferential to demanding and self-entitled, it's hard for me not to see a little bit of both of them in each other. And with those Which Twin Has The Toni postwar hairstyles, they even bear a certain amount of physical resemblance, somewhat attractive but hardly glamorous.

I've always loved the movie parodies that Carol Burnett did on her TV show.

She did her version of "Born to Be Bad", but it was called "Born to Be Rottten." A very funny take-off.

Richard Crenna did the Robert Ryan part, and Ruth Buzzi was the Joan Leslie part.

Terrence.

The ONLY Ryan role I didn't think was good was his portrayal of JOHN THE BAPTIST in *King Of Kings* . In that, he seemed to have just shown up and recited.

Everything ELSE he did was done very well. No one else could have done a better "Ty-Ty".

Sepiatone

Here's something about one of those Ryan movies yesterday that I wonder if anyone else picked up on. The arch-villain Commie (played by Thomas Gomez) in The Woman on Pier 13 has the same name (Vanning) as the arch-fiend mob boss that Eduardo Ciannelli portrayed in Marked Woman, in a plot which in turn was supposed to be based on the case of the real world mob boss Lucky Luciano. Given the prevailing view in 1949 of Commies as international gangsters,I wouldn't bet a plugged nickel that this was wholly a coincidence.