Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Jeffrey Lynn for SOTM Please???

IndyArchivist

> {quote:title=IndyArchivist wrote:}{quote}When can we have this wonderful and too often neglected, noble, stalwart character for star of the month? He worked with some of the best too, so it would be a real film festival!

To quote Bart Simpson, after Homer stood up in the middle of dinner to announce out of the blue his determination to go to Klown Kollege: "I don't think anyone really expected that."

• Like 1

IndyArchivist - I would like to see Jeffrey Lynn be star of the month too. I have him (and a few others) listed under my favorites. I try and watch any movie he might be in.

Just think - your idea for Jeffrey Lynn to be star of the month might have an entirely different perspective if he had starred in Gone With the Wind as Ashley Wilkes.

I'm not too knowledgeable about Jeffrey Lynn and he may deserve SOTM status one day, but there are other more deserving stars still waiting for their turn (Susan Hayward, Jennifer Jones, Charles Boyer and Mary Astor to name four)...

Yes, had he finally got the part of Ashley rather that just spend so much time playing him for screen tests, there would indeed be a different perspective. When he and Olivia DeHaviland worked together just shortly later in My Love Came Back they made a stunning couple. The ball room dance sequences give us a chance to see what Ashley and Melanie would have looked like. The clips of Jeffrey's screen test with Paulette Goddard are anything but "white bread" as one commentor has suggested. I think people would have understood Scarlett's obsession for Ashley better had Lynn played the role rather than Leslie Howard, who never wanted the part and had to be made up to look much younger. He only took the role to get a different part. Don't misunderstand, I'm a huge Howard fan, but part of that is knowing what their best suited for. I've only come to accept this late in my GWTW fan life, lol. He never read the book, let alone the script. He just showed up with his own lines memorized. That's sad. Howard did an alright job, but I think a lot of people are left wondering what was her obsession? I think Lynn would have given more to the character and made the audience understand what was between them. He excelled at playing truly noble characters, such as Felix Deitz, who didn't let the swooning girls go to his head.

Also, he and Priscilla Lane managed to make seven movies as a couple (eight together) in a matter of a few years. Sure a few others topped that, but over a longer time span. Had World War II not interferred with their careers there probably would have been more.

He co-starred with Humphrey Bogart, James Cagney, Ronald Regan and others. His comedies, such as The Body Dissappears are actually timeless enough to interest young adults today and peak their interest in old movies--I've watched it happen just recently with a young couple who happen to be stand up comics. As a matter of fact, nearly anything he's in seems to capture the attention of young adults. His style and mannerisms were fairly timeless. The few comments I've seen here already, and the lack of supportive ones, are proof enough that not enough people really know much about him. I'm sure that too will result in some smart comment from a certain party about his unworthiness. Some people just like to troll around and chime in with negativity regardless of what is said. I'm just throwing the idea out there. It's been about a year since I've been around. It may be a year or two before I get back. I don't have much time to hang out. I just happen to think Jeffrey Lynn deserves to be remembered. I'm sure I'm not the only one who has enjoyed his work.

I think my favorite film of his is STRANGE BARGAIN. He appeared in a TV-sequel of sorts, a follow-up that was part of a special episode of Murder, She Wrote many years later. Costars Martha Scott and Henry (Harry) Morgan reprised their original roles as well.

Well Stated - Indy Archivist!

I saw Gone With the Wind for the first time when I was in my 20s. It was with many friends and we saw it on a big movie theatre screen in Philadephia. I could not believe that "Scarlett" would be chasing after "Ashley" for all those years. As you wrote that Leslie Howard just showed up with his own lines memorized. It makes sense. He did not want to be in the movie and I believe it.

I wish Jefrrey Lynn got the part and added a spark to the character. But not to be.

SOOOO - Let's set our reminders and watch Jeffrey Lynn on May 1st in Four Daughters.

I have a rare movie with Jeffrey Lynn called "Doorway To Suspicion" about a band leader who gets mixed up with a dame so she can get out of East Germany. Not exactly sure because the story is told sort of under the table. Check it out if you get the chance.

I don't know just how much "spark" Lynn would have added to Wilkes, since the character hadn't much spark to begin with. But he would have been a more believable southern gentleman than the British Howard. I'm in the group whose thoughts are that Howard, a marvelous actor nonetheless, was terribly miscast in this movie, too.

Sepiatone

What people tend to forget is these secondary actors get a lot of attention especally when they were under contract to the main studios that TCM shows; MGM, RKO or Warners (and in the case of Lynn it was WB).

As a fan of his noted Lynn was featured in many movies with the WB stars Cagney and Bogie. TCM shows a lot of their films and thus Lynn fans see a lot more of him then main stars that did most of their films for studios TCM doesn't promote as much (due to ease of access).

There are only 12 months in a year and really only 10 for SOTM. Another WB contract player, Paul Henreid, will be SOTM; Due to the limited number of films he was a star in TCM has to show movies where he is the secondary male star or a bit player or a director. Kind of pushes the limits of SOTM in my view. Lynn would push it even more.

Edited by: jamesjazzguitar on Apr 16, 2013 12:22 PM

Doing a small bit of research, I could only find 29 movies in Lynn's filmography. James is right about pushing it. It would be pushing it HARD.

If he's done more "secondary" work, it would hardly make him a "star", so therefore a SOTM nod wouldn't be fitting.

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, Mary Lyn! Yes, tonight, Four Daughters will be on! Love the advertisement TCM has been showing for this last week too. Also in the middle of the night, for many of us, will be his first role, a small part in Cowboy from Brooklyn. One of the interesting things about him is that even though his movie credits were limited the majority were made within a short span between 1938 and 1942 before he went into service. For those of us who enjoy his work we will continue to do so. For those who choose to find something negative in nearly everything others enjoy, or perhaps just want to up their post numbers well, I suppose to each his own.