Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Too many repeats!!

vbishop

I see a LOT of repeats, which takes away room to show other fantastic films a few more times for those who miss out.

I was so looking forward to watching Cover Girl on sunday but something went haywire with the DVR, so I missed it and I don't see this flick coming up again anytime soon.

But flicks like Cool Hand Luke, Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf (which is such a downer) and The Westerner air quite often.

Personally, I prefer repeats if it's one of those movies that's worth watching again, or something that's worthwhile that I haven't seen yet.

Sometimes I think TCM should take the top 1000 movies of all time, and just put them on a continuous loop. That way we'll always get quality films to watch, instead of being stuck with stuff no one cares about, and stuff we'll never remember. Unfortunately, usually what's airing is some obscure, pointless movie, which often times makes watching TCM a tedious endeavor.

My other gripe is with prime time hours. Can those time periods (evenings, Saturdays, Sundays) be resevered for the best movies only? TCM could get a lot more viewers this way.

James is right, but he's also familiar with the "too many repeats" gripe here in these forums. The complaint comes up often.

Hope you finally get to seeing *Cover Girl .* I watched it Sunday and thought it was an OK movie. Of course, it's not hard to watch Rita Hayworth in glorious color.

Sepiatone

> {quote:title=peterock12 wrote:}{quote}Personally, I prefer repeats if it's one of those movies that's worth watching again, or something that's worthwhile that I haven't seen yet.

>

> Sometimes I think TCM should take the top 1000 movies of all time, and just put them on a continuous loop. That way we'll always get quality films to watch, instead of being stuck with stuff no one cares about, and stuff we'll never remember. Unfortunately, usually what's airing is some obscure, pointless movie, which often times makes watching TCM a tedious endeavor.

>

>

> My other gripe is with prime time hours. Can those time periods (evenings, Saturdays, Sundays) be resevered for the best movies only? TCM could get a lot more viewers this way.

>

I think that's a *fabulous* idea, as long as I'm the one who gets to choose those top 1000 movies.

Westerns and Bible epics need not apply, not to mention jungle adventures and Hollywood war movies, and all but about a dozen musicals.

Oh yes, and no Mickey Rooney, beach movies or any films with swimming pool scenes. Those lesser genres can all run between 3:00 AM and 6:00 AM, and leave the rest of the day for noirs, pre-codes, B-movies, general domestic dramas (contemporary urban settings preferred), and foreign flicks and silents *WITH SUBTITLES.*

(I'll pause to get you some smelling salts after that last one.)

Prime time will be an endless loop of Mifune, Gabin, Stanwyck, Lon Chaney, Ozu, Eric Rohmer, Fritz Lang, with maybe a bit of Harlow, Robert Ryan, Al Pacino and Jeanne Moreau thrown in just for a little variety. The 8:00 PM spot will be reserved exclusively for TCM premieres of the abovementioned Super Six categories.

I'm open to other suggestions, but remember, my word is final. We're a tough crowd, kid.

> {quote:title=AndyM108 wrote:}{quote}

> Westerns and Bible epics need not apply, not to mention jungle adventures and Hollywood war movies, and all but about a dozen musicals.

I hope you would have room for one Bollywood musical each month. They are so very over-the-top and I find them very funny even although I do not understand the humor that is meant to be there.

Hey, thank you very much. Perfect. I'll look it up.

It was one of the first black & whites I watched with my dad 30 years ago and haven't seen it since. Who knows, maybe it will be better than I remember. Thanks again!

The problem for long-time viewers is the constant exposure to films from three particular studios. We are seeing more films from Fox and Columbia. But there is a void re Universal and Paramount titles (not to mention Monogram and Republic). This is reflected annually during the month of August when stars under contract to Warner Bros., RKO and MGM are well-represented each and every year. The lack of Universal/Paramount titles - for some reason - is rarely if ever discussed. That puzzles me.

> The lack of Universal/Paramount titles - for some reason - is rarely if ever discussed.

It's been discussed quite a bit over the years not only on these boards but at the TCM Film Festivals and the Cruises during the *Meet the Staff* panels.

The big problem is that Universal, which owns the Paramount film library (1930-1948), has not been as easy for TCM to work with as other studios such as Sony (which owns the Columbia film library), Fox (which has in recent years been much better about working with TCM than even ten years ago) and Warners (which owns the RKO library as well as the pre-1986 MGM library in addition to their own).

Until someone in Universal home video takes a deeper interest in working with TCM, this is going to continue to be a problem.

Hi,

There is still a problem with TCM showing a lot of rarer films in the middle of the night, and a lot of repeated films in prime time.

My latest Panasonic recorder is causing me trouble, so it is more difficult for me to record films now. And I don't feel like spending $200 or more to buy a new recorder just to record TCM films that are shown in the middle of the night.

Consequently, I'm watching more films on YouTube and Archives dot Org during the day and prime time, and I'm watching less of TCM because of the frequent repeats.

Do you know why TCM might show the more rare films when we are all asleep and the frequently-repeated films when we are all home and awake?

> {quote:title=FredCDobbs wrote:}{quote}Hi,

>

> There is still a problem with TCM showing a lot of rarer films in the middle of the night, and a lot of repeated films in prime time.

>

>

> My latest Panasonic recorder is causing me trouble, so it is more difficult for me to record films now. And I don't feel like spending $200 or more to buy a new recorder just to record TCM films that are shown in the middle of the night.

>

>

> Consequently, I'm watching more films on YouTube and Archives dot Org during the day and prime time, and I'm watching less of TCM because of the frequent repeats.

>

>

> Do you know why TCM might show the more rare films when we are all asleep and the frequently-repeated films when we are all home and awake?

>

>

>

I DVR the films that are broadcast during odd hours. After that I transfer them to DVD. My problem is converting the DVD to mp4 format (for my iPad). The sound is never syncs properly.

Edited by: GoodGuysWearBlack on Apr 14, 2013 6:02 PM

People have all sorts of problems recording movies off TV now. For example, many Video/DVD recorder combos only work for two or three years now, and then they start going bad and can't be repaired.

Some people buy DVD units that can't record some TCM movies off their cable companies, some sort of copyright code is on them.

Other people can record on DVR but can't dub the films to DVD.

Others have trouble with their cable boxes switching itself off in the middle of the night when no one is there to press any button.

Big companies have become abusive of their customers and make it difficult to see anything, record anything, etc., without a lot of hassles or machines that don't work properly.

We are paying more but receiving less.

And now, we are getting many more TCM film re-runs in prime time.