Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Glenda Jackson speech today

Swithin

This video by Member of Parliament Glenda Jackson will shock some; if so, my apologies. But it is a speech made by a woman who won the Best Actress Oscar twice about a woman who was the subject of a film in which she was depicted by an actress who won Best Actress for her performance. And please keep in mind that the UK House of Commons is in many ways a much less dainty place than the US Congress.

http://wonkette.com/511217/glenda-jackson-literally-rips-into-margaret-thatchers-mouldering-corpse-during-parliament-memorial

"Bloody Glenda Jackson, she never goes and she's always bloody nominated"

- Maggie Smith (paraphrased) in California Suite.

Seriously though, what a joyless, humorless, sour, angry woman (Jackson)...No opinions really on Thatcher, but I've always viewed those two Oscars Jackson won as an utter waste.

I've always loved Glenda. I have very fond memories of Women in Love -- haven't seen it for a while -- and think she deserved that Oscar. I've seen her on stage twice -- in Hedda Gabler and Mother Courage. She was towering in both roles. To many people in the UK, Mrs. Thatcher was an extremely destructive figure, and part of keeping history straight is not going overboard with the praise in the eulogies. Glenda and others give balance to that. I spend a fair amount of time in the UK and remember that the Thatcher years were not good years for much of the population. And of course, Glenda could have been making scads of money in film and theater instread of choosing a rather austere career as a Labour MP. She deserves credit.

Good for her. I didnt listen to it. I get tired of these overhyped eulogies of leaders who dont necessarily deserve them. Glenda certainly had one of the oddest Hollywood careers ever. I was constantly amazed at her run (not that she didnt have the talent). Cant say I agree with her win for Touch of Class (and Women In Love was iffy too in my book) but she was deserving in other cases when she didnt win so...Hollywood loved her (similar in kind to Maggie Smith).

She's fine in Women in Love, but I think the performance would not have won in a strong year for female performances (which 1970 was not.) I scratch my head over win #2 for A Touch of Class, unless you chalk it up to the fact that two of her competitors had Oscars already, one was a newcomer and one was in a role that was just not Oscar caliber.

But seriously, I've read quotes from Jackson over the years and she seems like a really angry, rude person...She gets especially puckered up if anyone asks her about acting past, when- really Glenda- you can just say, "oh the paperweights? I keep them in the loo. Thanks for asking. Now on to what I'm doing nowadays..."

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 11, 2013 9:51 AM

I think 1970 was a very strong year for actresses, it's just that they were all relative newcomers and so probably the Oscars that year represented a really honest contest of best performance! But the performances were all excellent. 1973 -- the "Touch of Class" year, on the other hand, was a weak year in the Best Actress category. Glenda is from North West England and does have that old northern UK no-nonsense puritanical approach to life. Despite the fact that she most memorably played Elizabeth R on that great television series, she is not the sort in real life who would find romance and glamour in the concept of English royalty and aristocracy.

LOL Addy! (Glenda's comments)......

I'm curious Addy, what performance you thought that year (Class) wasnt Oscar nomination worthy ? Burstyn or Mason??

Edited by: Hibi on Apr 11, 2013 11:42 AM

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}LOL Addy! (Glenda's comments)......

>

> I'm curious Addy, what performance you thought that year (Class) wasnt Oscar nomination worthy ? Burstyn or Mason?

Burstyn. Burstyn. Burstyn.

I mean, I 'spose she deserves some credit for keeping a straight face, but sersely? Can you imagine some of her scenes from The Exorcist in the "Best Actress Winners" montage? Spaced between Crawford in Mildred Pierce and the "give my daghter the shot!" scene from Terms of Endearment ?

ps- below is a link to a clip of Charlton Heston and Susan Hayward (not long before her death) naming Jackson the winner at the 1974 ceremony. It's worth checking out. Scroll 40 seconds into it and *watch Burstyn's reaction shot when Jackson is named.*

*https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0-rsIdjVok*

Burstyn's reaction looked to me as if she felt that even if SHE didn't win, Jackson's getting it was a surprise. I didn't see the movie Jackson got the Oscar for. In fact, the ONLY movie she made I saw all the way through was *Mary Queen of Scotts* .

Truth is, I never liked the way she portrayed her characters. Usually on the snobby side.

Sepiatone

Just got done watching the link to Jackson's Parliment speech. Surely, not the time for such vitriol, but a the "chair" pointed out, not unparlimentary.

Kinda reminds me of the opposite when Reagan died. Although not the WORST president this country endured, he was far from the BEST. But the conservative element in this country reacted as if the man had accomplished feats so great just stopping short of curing cancer, that it was pathetic to watch. Fortunately, however, those of opposing opinions had the class to just let them have their fun, and NOT publicly, through media or in the chambers, denigrate the man.

But I just gotta admire the way things are done in British Parliment. Much more lively than our stuffy, pretentious procedure in the congressional chamber. Just tune into CSPAN, if you can stay awake that long, to see what I mean.

Sepiatone

Having just watched her tribute to the late Baroness Thatcher (or more specifically, to "Thatcherism") in its entirety, I am now officially in love with Glenda Jackson. I wouldn't trade her for a hundred Jane Fondas.

Burstyn should have won Best Actress for her brilliant performance in Requiem for a Dream, in 2001. Yes, we all loved the winner, Julia Roberts as Erin Brockovich, but Burstyn gave far and away the best performance that year.

I very much would agree with you about conservatives glorifying Reagan.....but the liberal element has more than made up for that by their sheer deification of Obama to the status of a living god. I mean the Obamas are throwing expensive white house parties while white house (our legacy) tours remain closed to the public. :|

Oh, Addy, I didnt see that last part on your post. I just watched it. Woodward had the same reaction. LOL. Interesting that Babs didnt show up that year. Wonder why? I had forgotten Hayward gave out that award. I remember her appearing......