Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

FOX MOVIE CHANNEL'S OUTSTANDING NOIR LINEUP THURSDAY MORNING 4/18

AndyM108

I'd almost given up on the Fox Movie Channel because of its endless repeats, but when I saw tomorrow's morning and early afternoon schedule I did a double take. The first and the third movies are particularly outstanding, but all five of them are well worth a watch. Apologies for the erratic look of the list, but it's a rough cut and paste job.

6:00 AM (FOX) 12:00 PM Cry_of_The_City (FOX) (1948) A New York police lieutenant walks a tightrope as he tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer. Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook, Dir. Robert Siodmak. 95 min.

8:00 AM (FOX) Blueprint_For_Murder,_A (FOX) (1953) A man who has fallen in love with his sister-in-law begins to suspect that she may have murdered one of her step-children. Cast: Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters, Gary Merrill. Dir: Andrew Stone. BW-76 min.

9:30 AM (FOX) Murder, Inc. (FOX) (1960) Based on the rise and fall of the crime syndicate of the same name. Cast: Peter Falk, Stuart Whitman, May Britt. Dir: Burt Balban. BW-103 min.

11:30 AM (FOX) Twelve_Hours_to_Kill (FOX) (1960) A young Greek national witnesses a murder and is ushered off into the relative "safety" of suburban obscurity by the police - unaware that he is being double-crossed by a crooked gendarme. Cast: Nico Minardos, Barbara Eden, Grant Richards. Dir: Edward L. Cahn. BW-83 min.

1:00 PM (FOX) Hard_Contract (FOX) (1969) A hired killer begins to question his way of life when he falls in love. Cast: James Coburn, Lee Remick, Sterling Hayden. Dir: S. Lee Pogostin. C-106 min.

For those who missed the first three movies today, they're each being repeated in the near future.

*Cry of the City*

Thurs. 4/25 at 9:15 AM

*Blueprint For Murder*

Thurs. 5/16 at 6:00 AM

Sat. 5/25 at 4:40 AM

*Murder, Inc.*

Thurs. 4/25 at 1:00 PM

Mon. 5/13 at 1:00 PM

I normally post the FMC schedule for the next few days on the "Upcoming Fox Movies...." thread over in Hot Topics. They have the occasional lineups featuring only (or mostly) their great noir dramas from the 40s and into the 50s, as on yesterday.

Several noir(ish) dramas on Fox Movie Channel this Thursday, April 23. And FALLEN ANGEL is on the following day:

MOONTIDE

Dock worker Bobo (Gabin) awakens from a drunken binge and is afraid he may have killed a man.

*Cast:* Jean Gabin, Ida Lupino, Thomas Mitchell, Claude Rains, Jerome Cowan, Fritz Lang, Nunnally Johnson

*Director:* Archie Mayo

7:45 am EST, 4:45 AM PST;

LAURA

Everyone, including Det. Mark McPherson (Andrews) thinks that ad agency executive Laura Hunt (Tierney) has been murdered, but has she?

*Cast:* Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, Judith Anderson, David Raksin

*Director:* Otto Preminger

9:15 am EST, 6:15 AM PST:

CRY OF THE CITY

A New York police lieutenat (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

*Cast:* Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook

*Director:* Robert Siodmak

11:00 am EST, 8 AM PST:

PANIC IN THE STREETS

A medical officer (Richard Widmark) races against time after he discovers two gun-happy hoodlums (Zero Mostel and Jack Palance) are running around the streets of New Orleans carrying the virus to a deadly new plague.

*Cast:* Richard Widmark, Paul Douglas, Jack Palance, Barbara Bel geddes, Zero Moste

*Director:* Elia Kazan

1:00 pm EST, 10 AM PST:

MURDER, INC.

A true account of the infamous gangster organization of the 1930s and its number one hit man (Falk).

*Cast:* May Britt, Peter Falk, Morey Amsterdam, Simon Oakland, Henry Morgan, Sylvia Miles, Sarah Vaughan, Stuart Whitman, Vincent Gardenia

*Director:* Burt Balaban

Arturo, you mean 4/25, and thank you for the heads up. For all those who missed it, be sure to catch Cry Of The City.

EXcellent movie, Mature showing that he really, really, really could act.

SO happy FOX is showing what TCM used to show, back when it showed classically classic good movies, and not 50% garbage, 50% classically classic (and I'm being generous for all the TCM lovers).

The Fuller Brush Girl today was AWFUL - was 1950 America really stupid enough to accept pap like that, or did they want escapism from the Korean War and were happy with mind-numbingly stupid films? And here I thought The Fuller Brush Man was stupid - live and learn.

Thanks Arturo for the Fox film noir lineup. Dana Andrews is one of my favorite actors, and they don`t get better than LAURA and FALLEN ANGEL. I will watch the other film noirs too. It is a shame that TCM doesn`t show more of these classic films. I will not waste my time on frivolous junk. There are too many good classic movies waiting to be seen.

• 3 weeks later...

Fox Movie Channel will have a couple of noirs in two days...And the following day LAURA will be on.

THURSDAY, MAY 16:

6:00 am EST, 3 AM PST:

A BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER

A man (Joseph Cotten) who has fallen in love with his sister-in-law (Jean Peters) begins to suspect that she may have murdered one of her step-children.

*Cast:* Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters, Gary Merrill, Catherine Mcleod, Mae Marsh

*Director:* Andrew Stone

7:20 am EST, 4:20 AM PST:

WHIRLPOOL

The tense drama of an evil-minded hypnotist (Jose Ferrer) who uses an innocent woman (Gene Tierney) to carry out his criminal deeds.

*Cast:* Gene Tierney, Richard Conte, Jose Ferrer, Charles Bickford, Constance Collier

FRIDAY, MAY 17:

7:45 am EST, 4:45 AM PST:

LAURA

Everyone, including Det. Mark McPherson (Andrews) thinks that ad agency executive Laura Hunt (Tierney) has been murdered, but has she?

*Cast:* Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, Judith Anderson, David Raksin

> {quote:title=Arturo wrote:}{quote}Fox Movie Channel will have a couple of noirs in two days...And the following day LAURA will be on.

>

> THURSDAY, MAY 16:

>

>

> 6:00 am EST, 3 AM PST:

>

>

>

> A BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER

>

> A man (Joseph Cotten) who has fallen in love with his sister-in-law (Jean Peters) begins to suspect that she may have murdered one of her step-children.

> *Cast:* Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters, Gary Merrill, Catherine Mcleod, Mae Marsh

> *Director:* Andrew Stone

> 1953

>

>

>

> 7:20 am EST, 4:20 AM PST:

>

>

>

> WHIRLPOOL

>

> The tense drama of an evil-minded hypnotist (Jose Ferrer) who uses an innocent woman (Gene Tierney) to carry out his criminal deeds.

> *Cast:* Gene Tierney, Richard Conte, Jose Ferrer, Charles Bickford, Constance Collier

> *Director:* Otto Preminger

> 1950

>

>

> FRIDAY, MAY 17:

>

>

>

> 7:45 am EST, 4:45 AM PST:

>

>

> LAURA

>

>

> Everyone, including Det. Mark McPherson (Andrews) thinks that ad agency executive Laura Hunt (Tierney) has been murdered, but has she?

> *Cast:* Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, Judith Anderson, David Raksin

> *Director:* Otto Preminger

> 1944

>

That's as good a 1-2-3 punch as you're going to see in a long, long time. Laura is the best known of the three, but the first two give it a good run for the money. Don't miss them.

MOONTIDE

Dock worker Bobo (Gabin) awakens from a drunken binge and is afraid he may have killed a man.

Cast: Jean Gabin, Ida Lupino, Thomas Mitchell, Claude Rains, Jerome Cowan, Fritz Lang, Nunnally Johnson (1942)

I just caught this for the first time the other night. Has there *ever* been a more romantic screen couple (for one film, anyway) than Jean Gabin and Ida Lupino? I don't think so. And has Thomas Mitchell ever had a meatier role as a villain?

The Fox Movie Channel is usually a desolate wasteland with their endless repeats, but when they get on a roll with their noir lineup, it's a tough act to beat.

Tuesday, May 21, Fox will show several dramas directed by Otto Preminger, three of them noirs:

8:15 am EST, 5:15 AM PST:

FALLEN ANGEL

A small town is shocked by the murder of a waitress (Linda Darnell), and the prime suspect is the gold-digging press agent (Dana Andrews) of a high society heiress (Alice Faye). 1940's Otto Preminger film noir gem.

*Cast:* Alice Faye, Dana Andrews, Charles Bickford, John Carradine, Linda Darnell, David Raksin

10:00 am EST, 7 AM PST:

DAISY KENYON

Joan Crawford is a successful commercial artist who must choose between the married man she has been involved with for years (Dana Andrews) or a military veteran (Henry Fonda) who sincerely loves her.

*Cast:* Joan Crawford, Dana Andrews, Henry Fonda, Ruth Warrick, Martha Stewart, Peggy ann Garner, David Raksin

11:50 am EST, 8:50 AM PST:

WHIRLPOOL

The tense drama of an evil-minded hypnotist (Jose Ferrer) who uses an innocent woman (Gene Tierney) to carry out his criminal deeds.

*Cast:* Gene Tierney, Richard Conte, Jose Ferrer, Charles Bickford, Constance Collier

1:30 pm EST, 10:30 AM PST

LAURA

*Cast:* Gene Tierney, Dana Andrews, Clifton Webb, Vincent Price, Judith Anderson, David Raksi

• 5 weeks later...

FYI, some noirs, and other crime dramas, on Fox Movie Channel in the next couple of days:

FRIDAY, JUNE 21:

6:00 am EST, 3 AM PST:

THE BOWERY

Rival saloon owners (Beery and Raft) tangle in turn of the century New York.

*Cast:* Fay Wray, George Raft, Wallace Beery, Jackie Cooper, Pert Kelton

*Director:* Raoul Walsh

7:30 am EST, 4;30 AM PST:

MOONTIDE

*Cast:* Jean Gabin, Ida Lupino, Thomas Mitchell, Claude Rains, Jerome Cowan, Fritz Lang, Nunnally Johnson

*Director:* Archie Mayo

9:15 am EST, 6:15 AM PST:

CRY OF THE CITY

A New York police lieutenat (Victor Mature) walks a tightrope as he tracks his former best friend, who is now a cop-killer.

*Cast:* Victor Mature, Richard Conte, Shelley Winters, Fred Clark, Tommy Cook

*Director:* Robert Siodmak

11:00 am EST, 8 AM PST:

PANIC IN THE STREETS

A medical officer (Richard Widmark) races against time after he discovers two gun-happy hoodlums (Zero Mostel and Jack Palance) are running around the streets of New Orleans carrying the virus to a deadly new plague.

*Cast:* Richard Widmark, Paul Douglas, Jack Palance, Barbara Bel geddes, Zero Mostel

*Director:* Elia Kazan

1:00 pm EST, 10 AM PST:

MURDER, INC.

A true account of the infamous gangster organization of the 1930s and its number one hit man (Falk).

*Cast:* May Britt, Peter Falk, Morey Amsterdam, Simon Oakland, Henry Morgan, Sylvia Miles, Sarah Vaughan, Stuart Whitman, Vincent Gardenia

SATURDAY, JUNE 22:

8:30 am EST, 5;30 AM PST:

A BLUEPRINT FOR MURDER

A man (Joseph Cotten) who has fallen in love with his sister-in-law (Jean Peters) begins to suspect that she may have murdered one of her step-children.

*Cast:* Joseph Cotten, Jean Peters, Gary Merrill, Catherine Mcleod, Mae Marsh

*Director:* Andrew Stone

10:00 am EST, 7 AM PST:

VICKI

When a woman is murdered, her sister (Jeanne Crain) and the prime suspect (Elliot Reid) join forces to find the killer. Remake of "I Wake Up Screaming".

*Cast:* Jean Peters, Jeanne Crain, Richard Boone, Casey Adams, Elliot Reid

*Director:* Harry Horner

11:30 am EST, 8:30 AM PST:

MURDER, INC.

1:25 pm EST, 10;25 AM PST:

MAN IN THE MIDDLE

A lawyer defends an American solider who has killed a British solider.

*Cast:* Robert Mitchum, Trevor Howard, Keenan Wynn, France Nuyen, Sam Wanamaker, Barry Sulliva

*Director:* Guy Hamilton

For those who haven't seen the movies that Arturo so kindly listed below, they're all *outstanding* with the one exception of The Bowery, which is hampered by its non-contemporary time frame. Dramas like that come off much better when they're set in the present, and not in some studio's idea of the past.

Not that it's necessarily the best of the rest of them, but Vicki is particularly worth watching for Richard Boone's first rate reprisal of Laird Cregar's role as the creepy detective Cornell in I Wake Up Screaming. Boone looks the part to a T, and plays the part every bit as well as Cregar did, which is saying a lot considering the competition.

The other total gem in the lot is Moontide, which gives us a rare look at Jean Gabin in an American film, and for a romantic couple, it's hard to top the match of Gabin with Ida Lupino. Thomas Mitchell is the third main actor, and let's just say he's the 180 degree opposite of lovable old Uncle Billy in It's a Wonderful Life. It's a thoroughly sinister side of Mitchell that seldom gets displayed, and he plays it to the hilt.

Murder, Inc. was Peter Falk's first leading role, and I believe it got him a well-deserved Oscar nomination for his portrayal of Abe Reles, the notoriously vicious hitman of the Albert Anastasia gang that terrorized Brooklyn in the 1930's. Here's how The New York Times described his performance:

*Mr. Falk, moving as if weary, looking at people out of the corners of his eyes and talking as if he had borrowed Marlon Brando's chewing gum, seems a travesty of a killer, until the water suddenly freezes in his eyes and he whips an icepick from his pocket and starts punching holes in someone's ribs. Then viciousness pours out of him and you get a sense of a felon who is hopelessly cracked and corrupt.*

But then they're all worth watching, as it's truly an all-star lineup that's sadly absent from TCM due to Fox's restrictive policies. (EDIT: I think that TCM actually *has* shown Panic In The Streets several times in the not-too-distant past, but I think that's the lone exception.)

Edited by: AndyM108 on Jun 20, 2013 3:19 PM

I believe that TCM has shown several of these Fox films recently. You are right, these films all are good ones to catch so hopefully they will get shown again and maybe more often on TCM. Interesting that you mention The Bowery . That was a film I remember seeing many, many years ago on TV . In the 60's, and I guess it was pulled out of circulation for many years because of its very colorful, politically incorrect references and language. It is a very interesting film I think (Raoul Walsh directed) , and worth seeing, hopefully people will not condemn it just because of the language. Unfortunately that language was "acceptable" in the day (early 30's) , and brings up that topic in another thread about films being edited for viewing today. I bought a DVD of the film recently and it appears to be very much as originally released. --- Moontide is a very good noirish film, and don't forget that Claude Rains is also in it. I like Vicki a lot, mainly because it has Jean Peters AND Jeanne Crain in it.

Edited by: mrroberts on Jun 20, 2013 11:42 PM