Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Have you seen Hitchcock yet?

Watched it last night with the missus. If you're a fan of Hitchcock or old movies, I think you'll enjoy it. Anthony Hopkins did a great job playing Hitch (got this character a lot better than he did Nixon, imo) & Helen Mirren was great as Alma Reville.

It's basically telling the story of how Hitch got PSYCO made. And how he would fall in love with his leading ladies but how the real love of his life was Alma. It's basically a geriatric love story (which was refreshing in & of itself).

I also liked Scarlett Johanson as Janet Leigh & I thought the girl who played Vera Miles was good. I'm a huge Vera fan (LOVED her in her John Ford movies) so I was reminded again how wonderful she would have been in VERTIGO (sorry Kim).

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}

> Wasn't interested when it was in theaters this past fall and we talked about it on here . . . even less interested in seeing it now.

>

> What I like is that viewing it MIGHT attract young viewers to Hitchcock's films.

>

I'm guessing you probably answered this in other threads, dpompper, but why don't you want to see it? Being a fan of classic Hollywood made me enjoy it more.

Been meaning to see it. At first, I thought you were asking if we have ACTUALLY seen Hitchcock, and thought his apparition had been spotted around. THEN I thought it might be a thread about spotting him in various movies, in which he always manages to show up, whether in actuality, or merely a newspaper photo or the like. I have a book about Hitch which in the back has a list of just when, in each movie, he can be spotted and how.

I too, liked Vera Miles, and it's dissapointing her career didn't get going better than it did. There's a scene in the movie *The Morning After* where Jane Fonda explains to Jeff Bridges that when a young actress, she was groomed to be "the next Vera Miles". Jeff innocently asks, "Who?" and Fonda's character laughs derisively and says, "That's right! I was to replace an actress that nobody knew was GONE!"

Sepiatone

Primarily, I am not a Helen Mirren fan (although I do recognize that many like her and she's won several awards) and I suspected that the screenplay gave Alma significant attention because Helen wouldn't play a small role. Also, I suspected that it would be too soap opera-y for my taste. Finally, I'm not the target audience -- not someone who wants to see Scarlett Jo in the shower.

I'd prefer to watch Hitchcock's films over and over . . . and listen/watch any special features on the DVD (hopefully by people qualified to comment on filmmaking, behind-the-scenes drama, etc.)

All to say that if others want to see it, I think that's terrific. As I said, I'm grateful for anything that gets young viewers to watch Hitchcock and other classic films.

> {quote:title=Sepiatone wrote:

> }{quote}Been meaning to see it. At first, I thought you were asking if we have ACTUALLY seen Hitchcock, and thought his apparition had been spotted around. THEN I thought it might be a thread about spotting him in various movies, in which he always manages to show up, whether in actuality, or merely a newspaper photo or the like. I have a book about Hitch which in the back has a list of just when, in each movie, he can be spotted and how.

Ha ha! Yeah, I saw him in Walmart the other night with Elvis in the chip aisle.

Didn't know Vera was referenced in MORNING AFTER, Sepia. Never seen that one. Although I need to since it's a Lumet picture. There are sightings of an older Vera in a few YouTube clips. I think she stands up & gives a brief thank you to an AFI recipient (maybe even Hitchcock). And I remember seeing her in a B movie western she made with Sam Elliott in the early 70's.

> {quote:title=dpompper wrote:}{quote}

> Primarily, I am not a Helen Mirren fan (although I do recognize that many like her and she's won several awards) and I suspected that the screenplay gave Alma significant attention because Helen wouldn't play a small role. Also, I suspected that it would be too soap opera-y for my taste. Finally, I'm not the target audience -- not someone who wants to see Scarlett Jo in the shower.

>

> I'd prefer to watch Hitchcock's films over and over . . . and listen/watch any special features on the DVD (hopefully by people qualified to comment on filmmaking, behind-the-scenes drama, etc.)

>

>

> All to say that if others want to see it, I think that's terrific. As I said, I'm grateful for anything that gets young viewers to watch Hitchcock and other classic films.

>

All good reasons, dpompper. I was also afraid going in that it would be revisionistic in the sense of portraying Alma as the real talent behind his rather large shadow. I was pleasantly surprised to find that wasn't the case, imo. I think it gives her her due but that's really not what it's about. It's a love story.

And I am also (un)happy to report that yes, they show Scarlett Johanson in the shower but there is no nudity.