Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies That People Tell Me I'm Supposed to Like....

as a movie lover I often get shocked faces and "I can't believe you didn't like that!" rants when I tell someone I didn't like a movie that most accept as "the greatest."

Does anyone else run into this? Are you ever told "Your not a real movie lover " because you don't care for a movie that everyone else thinks is the cat's pajamas.

For me it is Citizen Kane, Doctor Zhivago and The Manchurian Candidate.I have to admit.. I didn't care for these movies.

Jalanna

I agree with you Jalanna about Citizen Kane and really I've never seen Dr. Zhivago start to finish. I basically know the story but I've never set through it all the way. That said, I get that way when I think a movie is great and people don't like it. I take it as a personal insult. Isn't that funny?

I'm probably going to get reamed by my fellow silent film fans for this, but I cannot stand PANDORA'S BOX. Ordinarily, I'm fascinated by Louise Brooks, but this film bored me to tears. Literally. I almost cried out in the theater, "When is this picture going to end?"

Years later, I watched it again on TCM, thinking I just had a bad day the first time. I probably did, but rewatching the film was still an excruciating experience. However, I still have it in my tape library, if that tells you anything.

George Cukor is a genius director but I just can't tolerate The Philadelphia Story. I don't know how it became a classic because it is so boring and dull. A number of Howard Hawks screwball comedies trump this dud!

Citizen Kane and Clockwork Orange. Also I like Dr. Strangelove but apparently not nearly as much as I was supposed to. There are more I am sure but those are the three that generally get me the looks of disbelife

Thanks all who've responded so far...I give you all a lot of credit for admitting some of those titles. I don't want any flames started because I feel everyone is entitled to their own opinions whether or not I agree =)

Another example : My husband and his friend went to see Airplane when it came out. My husband laughed hysterically through the whole movie. To the point of tears. His friend ...didn't crack a smile.

Different movies appeal to different people but when everyone seems to say that one particular movie is the GREATEST and you see it and think... "Ehh" ...or "That's two hours I'll never get back." ..Do you have the courage to admit you didn't really care for it? I have been made fun of and flamed so bad for not liking some movies that many people consider the greatest or the best movie they ever saw.

Jalanna

I find CITIZEN KANE a very uneven film and the story not as engrossing as it ought to be. I certainly don't agree with the status it has as "the greatest film of all time" despite some then innovative techniques in story-telling. The whole film has the cold, clinical feeling of a documentary and the Rosebud ending is a letdown for me.

I find CITIZEN KANE a very uneven film and the story not as engrossing as it ought to be. I certainly don't agree with the status it has as "the greatest film of all time" despite some then innovative techniques in story-telling. The whole film has the cold, clinical feeling of a documentary and the Rosebud ending is a letdown for me.

Jalanna - I am the same as you on the three you originally listed. To add to that, and this will get me black balled, is Gone With the Wind. Citizen Kane is the only one of the 4 that I have been able to sit through from start to finish.

actually I agree with you about "Gone With The Wind." I can't say I hate it or anything, I just think it is way over rated. I love Clark Gable, and Vivien Leigh was of course very good but other then that the movie didn't do anything for me. Plus it is to long for my taste.

I'd rather sit through A Night to Remember ten times straight than to have to watch Titanic (1997) again. The special effects were astounding, I must admit, but that film has some of the poorest dialogue I've ever heard spoken. Come to think of it, the 1953 Titanic isn't that great, either!

Including peripherals like The Unsinkable Molly Brown, I wonder how many films have included some reference to the sinking ship.

I'm with you on The Graduate, and I'll raise you an It's a Wonderful Life. I don't hate it or anything, but I won't cry if I never get to watch it again. And the only part of the Graduate that I enjoy is when he calls Mrs. Robinson from the hotel. That part is funny, but the rest is dull. Oh, and La Dolce Vita. The first hour and a half were enjoyable, but the next hour absolutely dragged (for me anyways).

I'm really not one to say that I like a movie just because every one else loves it but I have to say that Gone With The Wind is pretty much one of my all time favorites.. I mean the acting and the story, I love the book and i could go on and on but I do think its funny like some one said before how it can actually offend you when some one you know insults a movie you love. I don't mean all of you cause i respect you all for your different views but one time my boyfriend shared with my how boring he thought gone with the wind was and I literally found it hard to talk to him for a few days.. lol ahhh the life of a classic movie fan...

-phoebe

My list of overrated films would include:

Gone with the Wind

Citizen Kane (the artisty is evident, but the characters are not interesting)

The Graduate

2001 A Space Odyssey (boring)

Dr. Strangelove

Doctor Zhivago

most of Fellini films I've seen haven't been that good

I disagree with Jalannopolaris on The Manchurian Candidate. Sinatra, Lawrance Harvey, and Lansburry are terrific. I urge you to watch the "commentary" on The Manchurian Candidate. It will likely change you mind on the merits of this film.

• 2 weeks later...

of both the real Maria von Trapp and "The Sound of Mucus" directed me to your post.

It was my high school play, and I had to turn pages for my friend who was playing piano. The score is beautiful, but if I never hear it again, by the current Trapp Family Singers, it won't be too soon. To this day, I just have to leave the room if the movie is on, though I do like Eleanor Parker and Christopher Plummer.

For those who love it and the movie, don't let me spoil it for you, but I heard from neighbors that the real Maria was nothing like the lovely Julie Andrews, and used to work those kids like dogs, and make them go up and down the hill with pails of water daily.

• 2 months later...

I do agree with you Jalanna about Citizen Kane. I always wonder how this movie is "the greatest American Movies of all times". I know many people who have never even heard of this movie and I also know many people who don't find this movie anything that special. As a matter of fact I have never run into any one around say "This is the greatest movie to me or I love this movie" That's why I wonder how this movie is the Greatest. On the other hand I DO know many people who love and adore movies such as Casablanca or Gone with the wind. I also don't enjoy the movies Graduate and Dr. Strangelove either.

I agree also with Jalanna about Citizen Kane; I hadn't realized that so many people had the same reaction to it as I did. My daughter (who is also a film buff) and I had a discussion about Citizen Kane; she agreed with me that the movie is technically and visually interesting and even impressive at times, but it seems kind of empty. I thought the fact that the story essentially had no likable characters (at least not for me) made it hard for me to really like the movie. I think that's essential for me; if there are no characters I like and care about, I don't like the movie. I had a similar problem with the movie '2001'. At the time, everybody raved about it, and as a science-fiction fan, I expected to like it. But it struck me as cold and soulless. I suppose someone might say that was intentional, but I found all the characters very lifeless. The computer, 'Hal' had more personality than Keir Dullea's character.

Casablanca I like, because I found the Paul/Ilsa storyline moving, and there were several characters I liked; even the world-weary, cynical Rick behaves heroically at the end.

I also agree about Doctor Zhivago; I couldn't get involved in that. Julie Christie always seemed quite wooden to me, despite her beauty.

The Manchurian Candidate - it's an intriguing movie, with an interesting plot, but rather depressing ultimately. I did like Frank Sinatra and Janet Leigh in that movie.

mcgeear,you unsuspectingly hit upon Kubrick?s very idea, to make Hal more interesting than the humans. He chose Kier Dullea for his very blandness so as not to upstage Hal. You remember too that there weren?t many characters or much dialogue in the movie. Kubrick was more interested in qualities purely cinematic, in fact, the movie consisted in one set piece after another---the famous opening ape sequences, the space station with the Strauss Waltz, the color-show descent to Jupiter, that long final sequence introducing the new embryo, and all those in between.

I have to admit that KANE leaves me cold, though I admire the artistry and camera-work. 2001 has always struck me as best viewed on the big screen and no doubt mind-altering substances would help. Re: CASABLANCA, I saw it for the umpteenth time when it came around theatrically for its 50th anniversary. I brought a friend who'd never seen it before. While I"ve always preferred epics (LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, GWTW, et al) on the big screen, this film too felt like a different movie. Watching in the dark, with a crowd, on a big screen - it was like a whole new experience. I couldn't get over the difference it makes in one's emotional reactions.

I remember the first time I saw MANCHURIAN, I wasn't very taken with it; now, I think it's brilliant. Give it another chance - for Angela Lansburry's chilling performance if nothing else.