Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies That People Tell Me I'm Supposed to Like....

Wow! Once again I see that CITIZEN KANE gets mixed reactions from people on this board. This was discussed some time ago, but to each his own. I think it's one of the best American films ever made, personally. The script is rife with intelligence and the direction is top-notch....and to think that Orsen Welles was only in his mid 20's when he directed the film! Is there anyone that young in Hollywood that could concieve of and produce such an ambitious project these days? Ashton Kutcher, anyone? I didn't think so......

Again, it all comes down to personal taste. With so many people questioning the merits of CITIZEN KANE, I just thought I would be one who owns up to loving the film. As for fanaudrey not liking THE GRADUATE or DR. STRANGELOVE (a film that will forever be on my short list of favorites), well I don't know what to tell you. I will take those Two films over CASABLANCA or GONE WITH THE WIND any day! Again, it all boils down to personal taste.

My movie buff friends can't understand why Im not ga-ga over...

CASABLANCA

Im a big Bergman & Rains fan, but to me, this movie is SO overrated. I guess, if you love Bogart, then this is the movie for you. This movie is Ingrid & Claude's most celebrated work (and ONE of their best), but it's not THE best.

A STREETCAR NAMED DESIRE

I tried REAL hard to like this movie, but I couldn't. The stageyness, the drabness, the yelling & screaming, Leigh & Brando...all were too much of a downer.

SOME LIKE IT HOT

I like Tony Curtis, and Marilyn Monroe (in some movies), but Im not a Jack Lemmon fan. I have to admit, some scenes were cute, while others were yawn-worthy.

DOUBLE INDEMNITY

I usually love classic film noirs, BUT this one annoyed the &*#@# out of me. Was it Stanwyck's ghastly blonde wig? Fred (always irritating) MacMurray? The cruel/dark/cynical/sarcastic storyline? The ONLY saving grace was Eddie G. (I love that guy)!

This is a great thread - I'm glad it hasn't started any wars. hehe It's really interesting to read these opinions some of which I agree and some I don't understand - but that's the name of the game right?! :-) I just discussed this on another thread but I'm reposting it where it should have been in the first place, I guess.

Cabaret - without a doubt. What a disappointment!

Anything by Tennessee Williams. I just plain don't get it! Do not understand the "greatness" here at all. His movies leave me wanting oxygen.

Mine would be Citizen Kane, Doctor Zhivago, Laurence of Arabia, and 2001: A Space Odyssy. I tried to watch these during 31 Days of Oscar and the only one I managed to sit through but changed the channel more then once and scratched my head wondering what the heck it was I was watching is 2001, the others were so boring I gave up within the first half hour, well got half way through LOA and Dr. Zhivago before realizing that an evening banging my head against a wall or watching paint dry would be more entertaining. I guess for some these are great films, to each his own but for me I wouldn't waste my time on any of them ever again, boooorrrring.

Funny that you didn't like STREETCAR. I saw it for the first time when I was about 18 and had the same reaction - depressing,and bleak and all that shouting. Now, I'd rank it among my top 10. Give it another chance. However, if you don't like the film, you won't like the play either since it is quite faithful.

And to the poster who didn't get Tennesse Williams' movies - they are really T.W. plays and film adaptations. But again, if you don't like the film version you probably won't care for the play. However, I am incredulous that you cannot be blown away by the performances in CAT, SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER and SWEET BIRD. All amazing even if somewhat sanitized for the big screen.

For me, The Great Lie, with Bette Davis and George Brent was a huge let-down. I've read a lot about that picture being great but, really, The Golden Arrow is superior. I usually like the Davis/Brent team but I just didn't buy it. Mary Astor was okay, but if you really want to watch a better film by Edmund Goulding, watch Nightmare Alley. Maybe The Great Lie seemed better in 1941.

nsallieharding comments that "when films try to be so didactic they become a bore." To each his own, but it's that reasoning that possess Hollywood to spoon-feed us 'light' fare like the countless number of remakes we are currently bombarded with. I would much rather see and appreciate a film that challenges me. One that provides a little 'food for thought', than say, the DUKES OF HAZZARD remake. Maybe that's the film snob in me coming out, but I would rather pay Nine bucks to see something original and smart, as opposed to another lame, star-driven piece of fluff.

That's not to say that some of those films aren't fun to watch. I have a soft-spot for Horror films, which don't really require much thought (but can, if they're done well). There are also many 'B' comedies from the 30's and 40's (many which I've seen on TCM) that are alot of fun. But I personally support any director that tries to achieve something profound on film. Those films are far and few between these days, especially if they are made by a major studio. Anyway, I am still surprised that so many people dislike CITIZEN KANE.......

To Allycat & Stoneyburke

Im in the minority because I like George Brent. I thought he gave excellent performances in DARK VICTORY & THE SPIRAL STAICASE.

How do you two feel about Bette's other on screen partner, Herbert Marshall?

Deco - I think it's that Tennessee Williams movies leave me with a sick feeling in my stomach - which I can't abide. I guess they are 'supposed to' do that - but I don't like it. You are right about the great performances especially in Suddenly, Last Summer. Of course Kate and especially Monty IMO gave great performances in that movie, (don't like Liz, sorry) as well as Lancaster in The Rose Tattoo (and the woman who won the actress award, whose name always escapes me Anna - -). Some of the performances were great - but it takes more than great acting for me to really enjoy a movie. I know critics base most things on the acting ability - but I also have to enjoy myself. It's not that I don't like serious movies, either, I love Of Mice and Men - even though I had kind of a 'sick' feeling at the end, you knew it had to be that way. I also love love love film noir. "The Deer Hunter" left me feeling the same way as TW's films - I thought it was a great movie, but I sure wish that sick feeling would leave me every time I think about it. Maybe I'm just not much of a realist - and don't like to think about the "sickness" in people's minds. That's why I love Stephen King books so much. Many people think I'm weird to like "horror books" but I laugh at the word "horror" when the real horror is on the news every night. King's books for the most part could never happen and they get me out of the 'real world'. TW's writings of *SPOILER* of cannibalism and 'self-imposed suicide/murder' as in The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone (I know I got that title wrong but you know the one I mean, with Vivien Leigh and Warren Beatty) just make me sick to my stomach - and the endings stay with me - much like the atrocities I hear on the news - which is why I don't watch it, either. Didn't mean to write a book here - maybe I'm just trying to get a handle on my thoughts myself. :-)

scar11ett who apparently is also katyscarllett - I guess I couldn't get in one day and created another name?? But they are both me. hehe

I have read/ seen many of Tennessee Williams plays or the movie adaptations and they make me feel that way too they can be very sad. But I still like them, I like the drama. Street Car is very very sad though isnt it? I thought that Vivien Leigh did an amazing job in that movie.

• 4 weeks later...

Yay, I'm not the only one who doesn't love Citizen Kane. For me, it's kind of like the book Mrs. Dalloway - brilliant, but not FUN. I think Casablanca is wonderful, but I've seen it way too many times, so now I've memorized the script and I just don't enjoy it the way I used to :-(

I think comedies are so subjective, everyone laughs at different things, that's why Dr. Strangelove (which I love, though I suspect I've been brainwashed) and Some Like It Hot (which I like, but don't love) come up here.

• 2 weeks later...

you guys can be cruel!

of couse it's all a matter of opinion, but some people's opinions have more weight than others (i hope none of you paid nine bucks for the dukes of hazard). i mean, if a movie is on everyone's top 10 list or if it has endured for fifty years, you at least should give it a chance - nobody says you have to like it. i wish everyone in the world loved the sand pebbles as much a i do, but everyone doesn't. i know 2001 is great (i've been told often enough) and that casablanca is on everyone's list - but i'd rather see the african queen or the unsinkable molly brown than either of them.

and i ain't payin' nine bucks to see nothin'!

• 3 months later...

Star Wars. I haven't seen any of them except Return of the Jedi. I don't have a taste for science fiction, of course any Star Wars fan will tell you that it's not about science fiction but the never ending battle between the good and evil within us. Eh, maybe one day I'll have 12 hours to commit and watch the entire saga, but not any time soon.

I also don't like 2001 A Space Odyssey, I cannot connect with the film.

I can't stand Dr. Strangelove.

I have to have human characters with feelings. No amount of cutting edge cinematography can be great to me if I cannot feel the characters.

By the way, I watched Citizen Kane once, and had no personal ID with the characters. Like I said cutting edge doesn't mean a thing if you can't feel for the characters. Doesn't mean I won't give it another try someday.

The Sound of Music and My Fair Lady ... both bore the hell out of me. Just about any movie with Marlene Dietrich ... she's the only actress (in classic movies) that can kill a movie for me, though she's well cast in Touch Of Evil.

Ha, Matt! I'm not sure if I already weighed in with my dislike of The Sound of Music, but I hate it as much as Andrea Bocelli's voice, and that is equivalent to the hate of the heat of two suns.

Hoo boy, and I have to agree with you on Dietrich too for the most part, Garbo as well. Hmmm, also Gable. There was one movie with Dietrich where she met a long lost love, a very nice looking German actor, that was very good, but that was about it. When in her very popular movie she started to sing "see what the boys in the back...", I was outta there.

Whoever told Dietrich she could sing? I can see how the studios used to try and pass off actresses as singers in roles back then, but this woman actually did albums and tours. Ditto on Garbo. The only thing I liked them in was the scene they did together in Sinatra's swimming pool, which you can read about in a book called, Mr. S.

It was recommended that I see "The House of Sand and Fog" with Ben Kingsley and although the performances were outstanding, it was one of the most depressing films I've ever seen. Ugh.

After watching that movie I would have welcomed the beautiful Marlene Dietrich belting out the humorous song "See What the Boys in the Backroom Will Have".

Posthumous birthday wishes to Miss Dietrich today.