Jump to content
 
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies That People Tell Me I'm Supposed to Like....


Recommended Posts

As Peter Bogdonovich says, Welles was about 40 years ahead of his time when he made CK, as well as everything he did. CK was vastly different compared to anything that had ever been seen then, and I think the reason why some people don't like it is because it's not the usual Hollywood formula of the time. Welles feels that his career suffered after all of that, but I see a lot of great movies and performances. I think what he really regretted was the commercials he did.

 

He probably was sorry about Marion, but I don't think he affected her by CK one way or the other. Her career was already over in 1937 thanks to Hearst. I think if Hearst had kept quiet and didn't make a big thing of the movie, the general public would never have connected Davies with him and the movie. Hollywood would have, because they already knew all about it anyway (Hedda Hopper certainly caught on). In fact, everytime CK was announced at the Oscars for that year, some stars booed. I just found a copy of Marion Davies' posthumous autobiography online for 75 cents. Interestingly, it has a Forward written by Welles. I can't wait to read it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

It truly is all about personal choice. I can't understand how some people can't stand a movie I love but it goes the other way too. I have to admit that GWTW never made my list either. Talk about characters I couldn't stand, Scarlett O'Hara. What a conceited, spoiled brat. Well at least that's the way I saw it but I don't "HATE" the movie. It's rare indeed that I can't find something I like in a movie. I don't understand how people can be so venomous about a motion picture. "I hate it." "It makes me sick." What's that all about? There are a lot of movies I don't like, many I'm apathetic about and many more I think are wonders but none I hate. Usually to hate involves something personal. To coin Mr. Hitchcock, "It's only a Movie".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Top Gun

Pretty Woman

A League of Their Own

Risky Business

Sleepless in Seattle

 

Boring...charmless...less than wonderful. As I remember, friends either dragged me to the theater to see these "great" movies or made me watch the videos.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I think that I'm the only person who thinks that THE BARRETTS OF WIMPOLE STREET is sooooo boring. I have watched it twice and both times I fell asleep in the middle. Shearer's and Laughton's performances are good, but the script is deadly dull. The real-life story of Elizabeth Barrett and Robert Browning is so romantic, but this film is not. Sorry to all the fans of this film!

 

Sandy K

Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep a list of movies I've seen on TCM and make a notation as to whether I like them. The term I give movies that I hope to never see again is "NO GOOD." I may be in the minority, but some of my "no good" movies are:

ANGELS WITH DIRTY FACES

BUS STOP

PICNIC

Link to post
Share on other sites

BestEra, although I like Picnic and Bus Stop and love Citizen Kane, I can see why someone might not like them. I just have to ask you though, why you don't like Angels with Dirty Faces. I've loved that movie since I was a kid and just can't see anything about it not to like. I'm just curious, can you please explain why you didn't like it. Thanks. ^^

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scarlett, it was quite a few years ago that I saw Angels With Dirty Faces but I simply couldn't relate to it. I didn't care for the dialogue and I've never been much of a fan of James Cagney. Also, it was colorized which usually ruins any old movie for me. Perhaps I was turned off from the first few seconds.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I've read that book MattHelm. Fascinating read with lots of great photographs.

After reading it, you realize that Orson Welles was not exaggerating when it came to WRHearst's wealth and excess. The real life surpassed anything the movie could ever depict.

I hope to visit San Simeon on my next trip to the States.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't say that Citizen Kane held my attention. I thought it was just me! I even gave it a second chance. I do like Orson's voice, so I thought I would like the movie.

 

I don't like the new-ish version of Titanic (1997?)- hated it. Even though the effects were cool, I am not big on effects. I don't care for ANY of the James Bond movies ( I know I am among the minority on that.) And I just found another that annoyed me today on TCM called Camille. I am realizing that I am not a big fan of Garbo I guess, I do like everyone else in the movie, but it bothers me that she always has her head hanging back. LOL

 

 

Sorry to the fans out there!

Link to post
Share on other sites

> Top Gun

> Pretty Woman

> A League of Their Own

> Risky Business

> Sleepless in Seattle

>

 

I can see your point on "Top Gun" and "Risky Business" (I think Tom Cruise looks like a rat in clothes) but "A League of Their Own?" It was so funny.

Link to post
Share on other sites

BestEra, thanks for answering my question. Colorizing would turn me off from the get-go as well. However, if you're not a Cagney fan, that explains it a bit, as well. I really would suggest (unless you can't tolerate Cagney at all) that someday you watch it again, you might be surprised (and maybe not).

 

Sheri, I can't stand James Bond movies either, so you're not totally alone.

Link to post
Share on other sites

For me, it's anything with Vivian Leigh in it.

 

I can't stand watching "A Streetcar Named Desire" because of her...and I'm not all that fond of "Gone with the Wind" either, despite my near-worship of Clark Gable.

 

Alot of people think she is wonderful, but her voice just grates on my nerves.

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you only know Cagney from his gangster pictures you've left out a large portion of his work. He was most famous for them but he did well in all genres. Westerns, comedies, straight drama, even musicals. He was quite a dancer. (Don't limit his musicals to Yankee Doodle Dandy). Enjoy, there's plenty of good stuff there. (If anything will turn anybody off a movie that quickly it could only be colorization. I'm with you there)

Link to post
Share on other sites

Regarding Hearst/Kane: Arthur Lake (Dagwood) was the "love child" of William Randolph Hearst and Marion Davies. Lakes' son, Art Jr. lived with his parents on San Vincente Blvd. in Santa Monica in a mansion fit for a King. The circular 12 car garage had a large circle in the middle of it that you could drive on to and with the push of a button, the car would be facing out, ready to go.

 

Marion Davies had a huge home on the beach next to Will Rogers State Beach in Santa Monica Canyon, about a half mile from the Lakes' mansion. Art Jr. drove a candy apple blue 1959 Chevy. He was one of the wildest kid's I ever knew. He spent is early years living at Hearst Castle with his cousin, Patti Hearst. Imagine growing up in the 40's and 50's (Art Jr. was born in 1942).

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

I hope I don't offend anybody but Citizen Kane is one of the more overrated movies of all time. Technically, I will admit it is brilliant but I just could not care about Orson Welles' character or any of the characters in the story. I don't get the same pleasure watching this movie as I do from Casablanca. It's not a bad movie but I don't think it is the greatest movie of all time!

Link to post
Share on other sites

"The Philadelphia Story"

 

Whoa, did someone just post that Arthur "Dagwood" Lake was the illegitimate son of William Randolph Hearst & Marion Davies? Did I read your comment correctly?

 

Because if that's truly what you wrote, I think you're mistaken. Davies was born in 1897 and would have been 7 or 8 years old when Lake was born in 1905. According to imdb, Lake is Davies' nephew.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
© 2021 Turner Classic Movies Inc. A Time Warner Company. All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Cookie Settings
×
×
  • Create New...