Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Movies That People Tell Me I'm Supposed to Like....

Being a guy who likes action-adventure films and my favorite directors are Ford[despite being an obnoxious bully at times],Hawks[although too conservative politically]and Henry Hathaway,I'll find a ball game if women's weepers are featured.

I do agree with Howard Hawks' dislike of The town Marshall being weak in begging the town for help in 'High Noon',but I love the paradox that John Wayne accepted

Gary Cooper's Oscar then several years later starred in Hawks' anti-'High Noon', 'Rio Bravo'.Entertain me first,interesting historical back-drop will save a film

[i.e.GWTW] and even women who never got rid of cooties from starting off as girls

did do some good comedies[Dietrich @ Universal,Hepburn w/Tracy and Grant].I

will watch film that makes me think,but I have to enjoy it first.

For anyone who didn't care for Citizen Kane, I suggest you watch the special edition that came out, and run it with Roger Ebert's brilliant commentary on. His understanding of the film lends credence to some of the hype, as this truly was a groundbreaking film, in large part for Greg Toland's landmark cinematography, much of which is still being copied today. And besides, after hearing Roger Ebert wax intellectual about the film, you'll sound like a Citizen Kane aficionado just mentioning two or three of the tidbits behind the creative process.

Bogie

Dr. ZHIVAGO (put me to sleep within 30 minutes)

A PASSAGE TO INDIA (the longest 2.5 hours of my life was spent watching this)

THE ENGLISH PATIENT (boring beyond belief)

LAWRENCE OF ARABIA (kept waiting for the "greatness" of this film to emerge)

CITIZEN KANE (still don't get it)

anything starring GRETA GARBO

I have to say Philly1, that The English Patient is among my, and my wife's, favorite movies of all time. Surprising that you find it to be so boring, lol. And I thought Ninotchka was interesting, as it made wonderful sport of Garbo's tough exterior.

Lol on . . . Zhivago

Bogie

All About Eve

A Place In The Sun (I like it but it's not as good as it's often hailed as)

The Philadelphia Story (I wish I liked it. I love Hawks and the whole cast but it just bores me somehow. I actually like High Society though, which is the musical version).

Laurence of Arabia

2001 Space Oddessy

Garbo movies except for Camille

Marx Brothers Movies (even though I think they are lovely people)

Breakfast at Tiffany's (even though Audrey is my favorite actress)

path, I DO like swashbuckler films very much. I just don't like sci-fi. I think it's because the landscapes in sci-fi are so barren. There are never any trees! lol! I also hate the way that they make up weird jargon to explain anything and everything.

You should get yourself a DVD of A TREE GROWS IN BOOKLYN.

Charli, is Endor in STAR WARS or one of the others in the trilogy? I don't remember that part at all! Or maybe I just blocked it out...

Sigh...see, I knew that I shouldn't confess to my ambivalence towards STAR WARS.

Sandy K

JackBurley, thanks so much. I've never heard of the Sleeping Bear dunes, probably because I've never made it to Michigan. My dentist is from there and I'll see if he knows anything about them. Probably lots of Idiots on ATV's running you down on them now.

Sandy,

Endor is a heavily forrested world where the trees make for a very interesting chase sequence.

If you don't like sci-fi, no big deal. I don't care for Australian chicken ranching musicals and that's OK.

Now, schmaltzy, midwestern set harness racing movies are a different story.

CharlieT

Charlie, then you must love HOME IN INDIANA! lol! (filming, of course, in Ohio)

My hubby is a sci-fi geek of the highest order. He will watch pretty much any sci-fi movie, no matter how cheesy. Of course, I will watch pretty much any musical, no matter how cheesy, so it all works out. We have 3 tv's and 2 dvd players, so everybody's happy!

Sandy K

Of course I love it. The final racetrack scene was filmed only a block away from where I grew up at the county fairgrounds. Naturally, that was a few years before I was born, but one guy I used to work with told me about taking out June Haver during her stay here on location. My mom talked about getting to see Walter Brennan and Ward Bond. A couple of months ago, the local theater had a showing on the big screen, but I couldn't make it. Bummer. :(

CharlieT

> Garbo movies except for Camille

>

> Not even Ninotchka? What I liked about

> Camille was the humor--wasn't all tragedy.

actually I haven't seen Ninotchka yet so that doesn't count. I'll have to check that one out, I think I'd like it. I don't like her silents and grand hotel etc. The main reason I even like Camille isn't for Garbo but because of Robert Taylor. I know he wasn't the greatest actor in the world but one thing he was really good at was acting like he was in love with people. It seemed so real that it breaks your heart when at first he feels he is betrayed and then again when she dies.

Yes, Everyone thought that American Beauty was greatest thing they ever saw and I was told I just didn't like Spacey's character going for the teenage girl. No, I didn't think it was anything special and I had already see it all before. What exactly did Spacey do in the film that made him oscar worthy? He threw a plate of spaghetti at the wall and acted really mad.

Crowe deserved the Oscar that year for The Insider. Spacey or Cheadle deserved the Oscar last year for Beyond the Sea or Hotel Rwanda. Fox did not deserve the Oscar for Ray.