Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Bonanza theme song

Widgeteye

I see episodes on *TV Land* and *MeTV.* The theme we are used to hearing is on all but the last two or three seasons. This other one is used during these stories too so I guess they just changed it. You also hear the music they used during the ending credits for *Little House on the Prairie* which should be no surprise considering Michael Landon's association with both shows. Also some of the earlier episodes were syndicated as *Ponderosa* and a different theme might have been used to differentiate from the new ones still on. I don't know which ones you are watching but this info might help.

*Gunsmoke* shows also have a different theme for the 1960-1961 shows while the earlier ones have the original. When it went to 60 minutes these 30-minute shows were repackaged and syndicated as *Marshall Dillon* with the different theme because the new longer shows still used the first. The Encore shows seem to be a mix of episodes as they were originally broadcast and repackaged.

In one of the first episodes the four of them ride out of Virginia City singing the theme but I've not seen the ones from the promo where Joe and Ben are singing it separately. Maybe these bits were just done for the add and didn't appear in any episodes.

There's an episode from 1970 or so on Encore now titled Top Hand where all of the recognizable music from *Little House* is being used; it's weird trying to grasp which program you're watching. I'm a frustrated music scorer so I find this interesting.

*I'm a frustrated music scorer so I find this interesting.*

That is an interesting thing to learn about you. By your use of the word scorer as opposed to composer is that specific to film?

I'm a frustrated songwriter but it just comes from a lack of a real gift for it.

I used scorer since we were talking about the background music in the two series. I don't think I actually have talent in that direction as much as appreciation for the great work I hear on film. I can usually recognize a movie coming on by the opening notes even if I'm not in the room. I actually love nearly all music genres and until recently have been able to perform in school glee clubs and church choirs.

Growing up this was strictly a man's domain. There weren't even female djs back then. I'm glad to see that's changed with Rachel Portman getting Oscar nominations for her work. I waiting for other women to follow.