Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Turner's line up of films...

leobertucelli

Don't know about you all out there but I do not cae for silents & 2 star flicks from early 30's.

And why can't tmovies just purchase something new. All I see is same repeats & followed by early 30 and 40's that are NEVER something I a have any interest in. Isn't it time for them to get some new things to put on???

> {quote:title=leobertucelli wrote:}{quote}Don't know about you all out there

You sure don't. Seriously, why don't you just migrate to HBO or some similar channel where you'd be much more likely to find what you want? Every other movie channel on TV is trying to win over people like you.

While everyone else is putting their two cents in on a long ago worn out topic, I might as well put mine in too.

Before TCM spends a dime on modern movies I'd rather see them get a hold of some older films from Universal, Paramount, and Republic that have not been aired in ages anywhere, especially sine AMC changed format 11 years ago. They do that from time to time, and I realize it's probably a costly proposition, but that is how I'd like to see any extra funds dispersed.

Leo, I've heard there are some home movies of Robert Osborne's holiday trip to Buffalo somewhere in the vaults. Apparently they feature some good shots of him strolling through the city's main streets, searching for a video shop. Exciting stuff. Wish TCM would air them.

I can't count how many times I see an old 30's film (especially with the background music) that might have a star or two and find it delightful. For me its mostly those unknown films that I like. No big stars or expectations. Just to sit and watch what happens.

I love the randomness of it. That's how I find hidden gems. I find TCM fantastic !

Only problem with silents is I can't multitask and I have to pay attention to the screen. But, that's just me.

> {quote:title=darkblue wrote:}{quote}I love randomness as well. Back in the VCR era I subscribed to pay tv - the movie channel. What I would do is just keep filling tapes up with movies (usually 3 per tape at EP) but out of sheer laziness I never would bother to label what I'd put on them. At one point I musta had over 200 movies waiting to be watched.

>

> Every night at a certain time - usually 'late, late show' hours - I'd pop in a tape and watch whatever movie came up, with no knowledge beforehand of what it would be. As I made sure I taped every movie the channel offered, I missed nothing - although it would take many months before I'd get around to a movie once I'd taped it.

>

>

> I no longer have pay tv so I don't watch movies randomly like that anymore - no longer put them on a VHS tape. Now I record movies on DVR or DVD and label them. No more surprises and I miss that.

>

I probably record about 30 to 60 movies a month and try to keep current by watching most of them shortly after recording. But sometimes we have one of those days where we get 5 or 6 obscure films from the 30's in a row, or a vein of interesting-sounding silents and foreign movies in the Sunday/Monday wee hours. And in those cases, I find if I wait a few weeks to watch them, and don't look at the synopses, that they're almost as random as if I hadn't labeled them after finalizing the disks.