Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

WHAT WAS THE MOST PERFECT ENDING IN MOVIES?

FIVE EASY PIECES, no contest-----at the gas station........No dialogue at all, except for a few brief words between Nicholson and the truck driver.

Edited by: finance on Feb 3, 2014 6:34 PM

Well Sunset Blvd is one of the best for most perfect endings and beginning.

That shot of Holden in the pool really sets the stage for this first class movie.

Agreed james. Absolutely *Sunset Blvd* - another brilliant film by Billy Wider. His endings are always perfect *The Apartment* *Some Like It Hot* the list goes on and on for great films and perfect endings by Billy Wilder

I loved the endings to Billy Wilder's films. I think the ending of "Some Like it Hot" and "Sunset Boulevard" are my favorite.

The ending to "All About Eve" is fantastic when "Phoebe" is trying on Eve's coat and holding her award and practicing posing with it in the mirror. It's the perfect ending to show that no matter how great and irreplaceable you think you are, there is always someone waiting in the wings to take your place.

I also enjoy the ending to "Picnic" with Kim Novak's bus following William Holden's train to Tulsa.

Hitchcock was also fantastic at ending his films. The ending to "North By Northwest" great, with the suggestive train entering the tunnel. I also loved the omnious ending to "The Birds." That ending was great because it was such a non-ending. The birds weren't killed or controlled. They're still out there!

LOVE IN THE AFTERNOON, not a great film, also had a great ending.. Wilder should have been known as "King of the Endings".

Edited by: finance on Feb 4, 2014 2:44 PM

"Final Destination 5" (2011), finally watched it on FXX last night and glad I didn't read anything about it beforehand. Got a surprise ending - the beginning of "Final Destination" (2000). Turns out it is a prequel not a sequel. They showed more of what happened to the plane when it exploded over the Alantic.

Footnote: Took me a while to compose myself from laughing, the car running over the lady's eyeball and squishing it (element of surprise)

Michael Moriarty's final voice-over in Bang the Drum Slowly (1973).  "...He wasn't a bad fellow, no worse than most, He was even a decent ballplayer when you left him alone.  From here on in, I rag nobody."

THE THIRD MAN

The Third Man does have a great ending in that the women,  even having learning of all the harm Lime has caused, remains loyal to him.    This darker ending is a lot more interesting to me then a romantic ending between Martin and her would have been.  

:huh:    Ignore my just deleted rant.  I just discovered how to watch the clip and then go to You Tube to find similar goodies there as I did before.  Just keep them coming.  

THE THIRD MAN

:o  What have they done to this thread?  In the past when I used the http to go to YouTube I'd get the clip and a whole lot of related and unrelated clips and whole movies I could access from there. This was a wealth of new and old treats that I sometimes spent a whole evening enjoying.  Now I can't and this is a real pain.  I've tried to stay positive about the changes but this one has my goat but good.  Any advice? 

Star,

On the bottom of the You Tube clip scroll over till you see the red You Tube. Click it on. That's the old format. You're there.

Jake

I tried to read through the many pages to avoid duplicates, so apologies if these have been mentioned.

Miss Watusi mentioned "Enchanted April" and I full heartedly agree.

A few for me are "Bringing Up Baby," "My Man Godfrey," "The Man Who Knew Too Much," "Rosemary's Baby," and "Watermelon Man."   (Sorry to not post any links; each time I sign in I must apply for a new password.  Another topic altogether!)

It's probably been mentioned in this thread but I'd say Sunset Boulevard, with Gloria Swanson ready for her close-up.

• Like 1

:huh: Jake, you were too fast for me.  As you can see I figured that out as you were replying to my post.  Thank you anyway.

:(    After our discussions last year about The Ten Commandments I wanted to see it again with an open mind but don't see it listed on ABC tonight and I thought it was usually shown on Palm Sunday.  If they're waiting until Easter I'm out of luck as I'll be at my Mother's place and at nearly 91 she won't be patient enough for the five hours they usually take to run it and all those commercials.  I really did want to give it another look.

Sunday AM:  The Walmart Sunday adds have it on DVD for $4.88 this week.  I need to go to my bank before I leave for Mom's and there's one nearby so hopefully I can get one tomorrow or Tuesday and see it when I get back minus all the adds. If so, I'll let you know how I like it now.  Have a great week; I know you know the real "reason for the season".

I tried to read through the many pages to avoid duplicates, so apologies if these have been mentioned.

Miss Watusi mentioned "Enchanted April" and I full heartedly agree.

A few for me are "Bringing Up Baby," "My Man Godfrey," "The Man Who Knew Too Much," "Rosemary's Baby," and "Watermelon Man."   (Sorry to not post any links; each time I sign in I must apply for a new password.  Another topic altogether!)

My Man Godfrey also has one of the greatest ending lines;   just wait it will all be over in a minute!    

• Like 1