Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
TomJH

WHAT WAS THE MOST PERFECT ENDING IN MOVIES?

The ending of TREASURE is somewhat unusual, since both Howard and Curtin were heroes, yet they lost all their gold that they had worked so hard to obtain, and they had been quite kind to the crackpot Dobbs.

One thing I've aways wondered about Dobbs is that "bump on the head" he got when the mine caved in on him. I wonder if the original book made more of that bump and maybe suggested that was the cause of him going crazy. He didn't seem to be such a bad guy before that.

Many movies used "bumps on the head" as a cause of sudden changes in characters' personalities.

The ending of 'The Searchers' where John Wayne's Confederate vet is left outside the home, forgotten, after he returns his niece to the family..he stands wanting to come in, but no he cant, turns and walks away..the door closing on him.

I don't know why anyone would assume Curtain would have "lives that would fulfill their dreams'.

The movie ends with him going to visit the wife of the American that was killed (Bruce Bennett's character). I always felt that was odd and a really forced scene. Come on, what are the odds this visit would improve his life? Next to none I would say. In fact I heard the dead guy's family blames him for the death and run him out of town after a good beating. Oh, and the last thing they say to him is; we don't need no stinking letter!

James, since Treasure wanted to have a happy ending for Curtain it seems kind of appropriate to me that he visit Cody's widow. After all, he had talked earlier in the film of his happier days when harvesting fruit, he was clearly aimless at the film's end after having lost the gold, and perhaps wise old Howard, who cared about his young friend, thought that he might wind up with a bit of matchmaking going on between the widow and Curtain. Okay, maybe that part's a bit of a stretch.

Fortunately, Cody's family wouldn't know anything about the fact that the three gold prospectors, including Curtain, would have knocked off the head of their family if the bandidos hadn't beaten them to it.

Curtain was a nice guy, generally speaking, and it's nice to think that things might work out for him there. I think that Treasure very nicely wrapped up all its loose strings at the end, including that fact that neither Curtain nor Howard held any malice towards poor greedy mad Dobbsie

the very last two minutes of "Leave Her To Heaven" bought a tear to my eye

when Cornell Wilde got out of the canoe, and ther was lovely Jeanne Crane

waiting for him ...the beautiful musical score made it perfect...lovely ending.

You said it well with 'wanted to have a happy ending for Curtain'. Yes, 'they' wanted a happy ending and like I said it looks forced. i.e. they wanted it too badly. To me an ending where Curtain is right back where he started (in both financial terms and future prospects), would of worked better. But hey, since the star of the film already had a very unhappy ending, in some ways it does make cinematic sense to have the others have an uplifting one after losing all that gold.

patton_walking_dog_george_c_scott.png?w=

(voiceover) For over a thousand years, Roman conquerors

returning from the wars enjoyed the honor of a triumph - a

tumultuous parade. In the procession came trumpeters and

musicians and strange animals from the conquered territories,

together with carts laden with treasure and captured armaments.

The conqueror rode in a triumphal chariot, the dazed prisoners

walking in chains before him. Sometimes his children, robed in

white, stood with him in the chariot, or rode the trace horses.

*A slave stood behind the conqueror, holding a golden crown*

*and whispering in his ear a warning*: *that all glory is fleeting.*

Patton

Jake in the Heartland

"To Kill A Mockingbird", where the camera pans back through the window from Atticus at Jem's bedside, while the adult Scout narrator says the Atticus would be at his bedside all night and would be there "when Jem waked up in the morning."

*There was a great South Carolinian with the last name

Rhett during this time period who was derisively called

a Fire-Eater.

Jake in the Heartland

Okay, I gotta say that, since I already said CITY LIGHTS, I recently watched one of my favorite movies and realized the ending is one of the greatest of all time.

First let me preface by saying that in this particular case I define "ending" in this case as the plot's conclusion, rather than simply the last scene/shot in the film.

FILM: *Lady for a Day* (Capra)

The reason the ending rocks is that it's better than what you're hoping for/expecting. You are hoping Dave the Dude can somehow get his band up to the Marbury Hotel (sp?) to play rich for Count Romero's reception. Just as Apple Annie is about to confess to her visitors, you hear a lot of people coming. You think, "yay, Dave the Dude has come through!" when suddenly the REAL Mayor and party arrive, and one of his cronies says, "Go ahead, Mayor, it's your idea." Then after various important people pour in and pretend to know Apple Annie, the Governor shows up too. I never fail to tear up at this display of awesome kindness. Then of course their random act of kindness makes everyone feel better about life and apologize for previous crankiness. What a great ending!

*THE BRIDGE ON THE RIVER KWAI*

Jake in the Heartland.

Yellow Submarine

Help!

The Confession

2001: A Space Odyssey

The Godfather Part II

The Godfather

Casablanca

Brazil

Vertigo

Fanny and Alexander

All the President's Men

Splash

A Man for all Seasons

The Usual Suspects

Angel Heart

Ordet

Time Regained

Se7en

Celine and Julie Go Boating

The Shining

Solaris (original version)

The Mirror

The Vanishing (original version)

Reversal of Fortune

Voyage in Italy

Death in Venice

L'Argent

Mouchette

Dead Man

Blade Runner (director's cut only!)

The Spirit of the Beehive

Stalker

The Sacrifice

There will be Blood

Jeanne Dielman, 2300 Quai du Commerce, 1080 Bruxelles

Z

Hope and Glory

Clue

Eyes Wide Shut

*THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME*

Maureen O'Hara was ravishing in her youth.

Jake in the Heartland

When I start think about "perfect ending", I mentally list a ton of movies - but they were all favorites. Started to think, is there a "perfect ending" for a movie that you DON'T like?