Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Shame on you TCM

marxphan

Went to the TCM Road To Hollywood last night at the Kimo Theater in Albuquerue last night to see Marnie hosted by Tippi Hedron and Ben W. After procuring tickets off the internet we showed up 5 minutes after the doors opened and ended up being in a group of about 200 who were turned away because it had been overbooked.

With the promise of a seat in hand we took off work early, braved finding a parking spot then venturing thru the war zone to get to the movie house only to be turned away due to overbooking.

Shame on you TCM.

Here is an idea, print on the ticket "this is no guaranteed of admission" for those harboring the false hope that it is. Or better yet print the number of tickets equal to theater seating, after those are distributed subsequent tickets are printed and issued as standby tickets to cover for no shows.

We have a pattern with these kinds of threads. This one sings the latest 'TCM has done us wrong' blues. People jump on, because they have other long-standing grievances with the Channel. It becomes a bash TCM fest, then the apologists enter the fray and they offer plausible reasons why TCM could have done this. More back-and-forth, more tug-of-war. TCM won't admit it has possibly done anything wrong, because it does not think it has done anything wrong-- in this case, overselling tickets. And the thread will eventually die a slow death, or maybe a fast death if it gets replaced by another bash TCM thread. Meanwhile, people will continue to watch TCM and post on these message boards.

The whole thing, in my opinion, is an exercise in futility. Lather-rinse-repeat. This is the latest cycle. I hope folks will become a bit more enlightened and just avoid it altogether, but it may not be human to do so.

Being forewarned is being forearmed. Maybe, by reading this, some might think twice before buying tickets. Maybe this will result in lower ticket sales, and lower attendance. Maybe THAT will cause TCM to investigate WHY ticket sales are sluggish, and take steps to avoid this problem in the future.

Or maybe TopBilled is right, and STEAK will go back to 10 cents a pound!

Sepiatone

I expect the apologists to blame the theatre for telling TCM the wrong number of seats. That is where this is headed probably.

The original poster neglected to mention if his/her money was refunded, which I imagine it was. So use the dough to buy some of those great DVDs that TCM is hawking.

> {quote:title=marxphan wrote:}{quote}After procuring tickets off the internet

You have to be very careful about buying tickets on the Internet. There are many, many fake websites that claim to sell tickets and this scam is very popular.

An article here about the scam: http://money.aol.co.uk/2013/02/27/one-direction-ticket-scam-how-to-spot-a-fake-ticket-site/

A recent news item from Canada here: http://www.torontosun.com/2013/03/01/three-charged-in-bogus-ticket-scam

More information on the scams here:

http://www.bbb.org/blog/2013/04/take-me-out-to-the-ballgameand-dont-get-taken/

and here: http://www.ehow.com/how_7559958_tell-tickets-legit.html

The fake tickets are obviously made to look as realistic as possible and people don't find out the tickets are invalid until they show up at the event and are turned away.

The scams involve sports events, concerts, you name it...

I don't know where you got your tickets from? If it was from a legitimate seller, then you have a beef...

It looks like this outfit HoldMyTicket.com: http://holdmyticket.com/

provided the tickets for the event at the KiMo Theatre:

http://www.kimotickets.com/

City of Albuquerque reference here: http://www.cabq.gov/culturalservices/kimo/tickets

So, if you got your tickets from HoldMyTicket.com, it appears your beef is with them and not TCM...

But then the site says it was a free admission event:

http://holdmyticket.com/event/135367

*But, but...* TCM does advertise the events, including the Albuquerque one:

http://www.tcm.com/2013/roadtohollywood/details.html?city=10

"Free tickets" for that event were available from GoFobo.com:

https://www.gofobo.com/rsvp/promotion/a9d1c6f7db55321ef8035bcd72eafd37

So, I guess you can complain to TCM and/or GoFobo and/or HoldMyTicket???

marxphan wrote: after procuring tickets off the Internet

That was my first thought precisely RMeingast, after reading marxphan's post.

Before bashing TCM and getting everyone on the Boards upset, it would be interesting to know whether he purchased the tickets directly from TCM, or as he states, "Off the Internet", which could be Ebay, craig's list, etc. and of course would make a huge difference!

These sites are notorious for selling 'fake tickets'. Maybe marxphan should be more specific.

I doubt very much that TCM would 'oversell' tickets.....they have their reputation at stake and have more class then doing something so low.

Twink

> {quote:title=Jezebel38 wrote:}{quote}Folks - TCM Road to Hollywood screenings are/ were FREE. No money lost by OP.

>

> http://www.tcm.com/2013/roadtohollywood/

I don't understand it. If event is free admission, why need a ticket??

Should be first come, etc...

If free tickets provided, admission should be only for those with the free tickets.

Anyway, I'd start with the theatre and go from there to find out what was up??

With an eye toward full disclosure I should mention the tickets were in fact free. Whether free or bought, the issue remains the same, lots of disgruntled folks and wasted time( I could have been out buying a winning lottery ticket with the I wasted in line) lured in by a false expectation of attending an event that unbeknownst to them, but surely known by the sponsor was overbooked.

This event had TCMs name on the event, so this thread is directed at the name on the marquee.

Got home last night turned on TCM and was flushed with disappointment over the nights events. It will pass but I now look at TCM slightly differently when it is on. Fool me once shame on me, fool me twice........

That said, when is the next Marx Brothers showing. I need by TCM Fix.

The fact that they were 'FREE', should have been a clue to you....

Sometimes there are Free tickets to the Movie theatre in cereal boxes, etc....There is no guarantee that when you get to the threatre that it is not 'sold out'.

Does one complain then too?

Yes. The best things in life are supposedly life. That's how I viewed this. We were disappointed but will recover. It is just difficult when your six year old daughter looks at you with tears in her eyes and asks "We are going to get in right daddy?"

*"It is just difficult when your six year old daughter looks at you with tears in her eyes and asks "We are going to get in right daddy?"*

You were taking your six-year old daughter to see *Marnie*, a movie about a prostitute's daughter? The horse shooting scene alone would have probably given your child nightmares for a week.

Maybe it is lucky you didn't get in last night.

> {quote:title=TopBilled wrote:}{quote}We have a pattern with these kinds of threads. This one sings the latest 'TCM has done us wrong' blues. People jump on, because they have other long-standing grievances with the Channel. It becomes a bash TCM fest, then the apologists enter the fray and they offer plausible reasons why TCM could have done this. More back-and-forth, more tug-of-war. TCM won't admit it has possibly done anything wrong, because it does not think it has done anything wrong-- in this case, overselling tickets. And the thread will eventually die a slow death, or maybe a fast death if it gets replaced by another bash TCM thread. Meanwhile, people will continue to watch TCM and post on these message boards.

>

> The whole thing, in my opinion, is an exercise in futility. Lather-rinse-repeat. This is the latest cycle. I hope folks will become a bit more enlightened and just avoid it altogether, but it may not be human to do so.

>

Yes, because a clear-cut problem - overselling tickets - is really going to get a whole lot of defense. This is obviously just like all of the conjecture that TCM is becoming AMC or they do everything to sell DVDs.

But as anyone here can read it turns out that wasn't actually the case.

Have fun living in fantasy land!

Actually, if it's the same set-up as the "Road to Hollywood" event I attended last year, the OP did not pay anything for the tickets, they were free.

As I recall, all you had to do was select the "RtoH" show you wanted to see, and then print out the tickets. It was very clear there was no cost.

So, if this is the case with "marxphan", it's not quite as outrageous as everyone thinks.

Now, I don't consider myself an "apologist" for TCM (take note, TopBilled), but clearly the situation is not quite the same if marxphan didn't pay anything for their tickets.

Still, this is not to dismiss the disappointment he and his friend must have felt when they arrived at the theatre only to find it was full and they could not get in.

I'm not sure what this says about Toronto, but when I went last year, the venue was not only not "sold out" (I shouldn't use the word "sold", as no money was involved), but there were many empty seats.

I do think that it would behoove the Road Show organizers at TCM to clarify the circumstances and expectations of their shows, emphasizing that simply having a printed out "ticket" does not guarantee a seat, and advising those interested in attending to contact the theatre several days beforehand to get a sense of the numbers expected, and how early they should arrive to ensure a seat.

By the way, not to rub it in, but I had a great time. I even met the Mank. (guess that is "rubbing it in". Sorry !)

EDIT: I must be out of practice here. I responded as though this thread only had the first page, I never saw the entire second page of comments. Clearly by the time I jumped in, everyone knew the tickets were free.

Edited by: misswonderly on Apr 19, 2013 8:22 PM

I agree in principle that people should not be dragging their spawn to what are clearly "adult" events, but I'm afraid that ship has sailed. Parents seem to only care about themselves and will take their kids out whenever and wherever they feel like it. However, I'll also add that a six year old would have no clue what "Marnie" is all about. I saw it on TV when I was older than that, and I just thought she was some whack job weird lady.

As to "TopBilled" comments? What's you point exactly? Yes, people come here and complain about stuff. Get over it. It's called the Internet. It ain't perfect, but if the orginal poster's inicident, and the follow-up messages can help others from being "surprised," isn't that a good thing?