Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Move plot: reluctant adult, inconvenient kid

slaytonf

The inspiration for this is not what you think. I was just watching that charming little movie by Wim Wenders called Alice in the Cities, where a directionless author ends up with a girl on his hands, the daughter of a woman he encounters, and helps get a plane reservation at the airport. It seems to me this plot element has been used a lot, usually with initial resistance on one or the other's parts, passing through acrimony, and ending up with mutual affection. Even so, for the life of me, aside from this and Paper Moon, I can't think of any other titles where this plot element was used. Any one know?

The ultimate "has a kid they don't want dumped on them" movie has got to be *Gloria,* 1980, directed by John Cassavetes and starring his wife, Gina Rowlands.

There's also *The Professional*, a 1994 film directed by Luc Besson and starring Jean Reno and Natalie Portman (in her first role).

As mentioned earlier, there's the likable *Paper Moon*.

Actually, I think there are a lot of movies with this kind of plot.

How about "Susan Slept Here" with Dick Powell and Debbie Reynolds. There are several Shirley Temple movies with this plot device: "Stowaway", and "The Poor Little Rich Girl". And then there's "Lost Angel" with Margaret O'Brien.

Do you remember the TV series "Bachelor Father"?

Edited by: MilesArcher on Apr 21, 2013 7:53 PM

I don't know if all the Shirley Temple movies where she was an orpahn had a reluctant adult she was dumped on. Of course, the classic is Heidi.

Re: Margret O'Brien, I'm not sure but I think The Secret Garden also qualifies.

Thanks for your suggestions, musicalnovelty. Gloria sure fills the bill. I do think it's one of the most employed plot devices.