Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Innocent Sinners

jericho1

Well I'm glad for U but, I just long to view some flicks except silents & those 30's movies which

I don't think 8 out of 10 viewers are not watching. Now, I'm not asking for more ecentfilms from the 80's although I'd not mind seeing 'WOLFEN' from I think 1982. It had Albert Finney as it's lead.Oh well, enouhgh for now.

I love those 30's films. I truly enjoy them. That is one of the reasons I watch TCM - so that I can see the classic movies from over the years. I watched them all day yesterday. There are some stars that you didn't see much of after the thirties and early 40's, including Jean Harlow, Carole Lombard, and Norma Shearer. They were terrific and are a big part of classic film history.

Well I'm sure you're aware Harlow and Lombard (both lovers of William Powell), died tragic deaths and that is the reason they didn't make movies in the 40s.

For Shearer, after her husband died and no longer was a major player at MGM her career took a major downturn.

Anyhow, I also enjoy movies from the 30s but it should be noted that during this time the studios did crank out a lot of 'programmers'. These where movies made on the cheap and while I love the stars in many of these movies these movies have a lot of flaws.

Whatever the reason, if you didn't watch films made in the 30's, you wouldn't see much of those three stars. A lot of the films were matinee comedies, but I still liked them. I love Robert Montgomery and Franchot Tone, and Melvyn Douglas. That is just my taste. And yes, they were flawed, but so were many movies made late on. I guess you would say, "To each his own."

You might of misunderstood me; I love 30s movies and if I had to pick one decade of movies to watch (say the old stuck on a island thing), it would be the 30s. But the sheer number of movies released in the 30s compare to later decades just increases the odds that there will be more of those flawed programmers. For example, I love Cagney, and I'll watch one of his 30s movies just because of him and the Warner Brothers style of filmmaking at the time. But I can also see that many of these movies were done on the cheap.

Yes, James, I did misunderstand. And I do agree with you that many were done on the cheap. The only exception I have to that is the costumes. The women's dresses were really fancy. I don't know if the affluent back then dressed like that or not. But, the movies sure made it look that way. Some of the outfits were exquisite. Almost all of those what I like to call "little" movies Norma Shearer made had her wearing designer clothes for every time of the day. And of course, a lot were designed to show off as much body as possible because of the lack of codes in the early 30's. But, otherwise, they were mostly pictures made with their own stock of actors. I guess it was cheaper to dress them up than to hire stars that weren't under contract.