Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Redirection

Sepiatone

Thought slightly about this when watching *The Blackboard Jungle* the other day. Spurred further by someone on the "Perfect Ending" thread about how they thought *Psyco* should have ended.

Which scene in whatever movie would you have done differently if you were directing it? Not the whole movie, mind you, but a particular scene in a movie that somehow bothers you enough to think, "If I were directing this, I'd have changed this"?

I just mentioned *Blackboard Jungle* , and the scene that planted the seed of this thread was towards the end, when GLENN FORD was in that knife stand-off with VIC MORROW. When Morrow's Artie was disarmed, Ford then pushes him into the blackboard and tries to repeatedly slam him into it. But Morrow's sweater is so loose, he only manages to pull the material out and back, barely moving Morrow at all.

I imagined this took a few takes, because I don't see how it could be done in one, with what I also imagined the laughter from all involved at how COMICAL it all must have seemed. For ME, I at least thought so because I always catch myself chuckling at what's supposed to be a very dramatic point in the scene.

If I were directing it, I would have reshot the scene with Ford holding Morrow by the SHOULDERS so the slamming of Morrow against the blackboard would be more apparent.

There MUST be several examples of this sort of thing any one of you all can conjure, and I'd like to see some of them.

Sepiatone

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting observation - never noticed that before. I always laughed at the end of Blackboard Jungle cause the tough, delinquint, Artie West, played by Vic Morrow, looked like he was biting his nails as he was hauled off to the principal's office.

I'm aware of the scene you mention here but I felt that was done on purpose. i.e. that Ford's character was just letting out some steam but that he had no intent of really hurting a high school student. Showing a teacher hurting a high school student, even one as rotten as Artie, would of reduced Ford's hero vibe. So the director did NOT want a really dramatic scene where violence by the teacher was the focus. I hope that was the director's intent otherwise it is just very sloppy direction.

There are many films with scenes I would like to re-direct (sometimes whole movies!). But when I don't want to re-direct anything, then that is when I realize how much respect I have for a certain director. For example, when watching Richard Brooks' THE HAPPY ENDING, I really think he gives us such a perfect bittersweet ending for this movie, rendering its title highly ironic. I don't think there is anything in any one of his films I would change. I trust his direction, and I think his actors do, too.

My take of this scene of Blackboard Jungle was to show equal vulnerability of both the teacher, Mr. Dadier, played by Glenn Ford, and the rotten delinquent student, Artie West, played by Vic Morrow. The teacher kinda lost it and was vulnerable by shaking a student, albeit a terrible student, and the juevenile delinquent student, although portrayed as a tough, nasty, rebellious kid, was actually very weak and vulnerable when his "gang" decided they abandon him and be redeemed....if you look at Vic Morrow's character, he had a very scared, vulnerable look as he was being manhandled by the teacher - and you'll notice that when the teacher kept coming forward towards the knife-wielding delinquent student, Morrow is actually backing away from the teacher in fear.

I always wondered why Glenn Ford didn't take a job as a teacher in a school with gifted children. He was offered another teaching job, and wanted to stay with the delinquents. Did anyone notice the one kid in the suit and tie - geeky looking kid - who sat in back of the classroom and got up and said 1 line in the whole film: "Not the FBI"...and then he sat back down in his seat and never uttered another word in the film.

That would have been great to have Jamie Farr come to class in a dress! Good film but Poitier looked like about 30 years old, or more, trying to play a high school student. For me, the best part of the film was Vic Morrow, perfectly cast, you couldn't have found a better actor to play that role.