Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Guesses on who will be be featured on TCM on Saturdays in August

Guest obrienmundy

August is of course Summer under the Stars, and Saturdays are always the night for The Essentials. Because of the films that are playing on those days, here are guesses as to whom will be featured.

8/3 (Lawrence of Arabia) Peter O'Toole, Omar Sharif, Claude Rains, Anthony Quinn, Jose Ferrer, Arthur Kennedy

8/10 (The Bad and the Beautiful) Kirk Douglas, Lana Turner, Walter Pidgeon, Gloria Grahame, Dick Powell

8/17 (Grand Hotel) Greta Garbo, Lionel Barrymore, John Barrymore, Joan Crawford, Wallace Beery, Lewis Stone

8/24 (The Lady Eve) Barbara Stanwyck, Henry Fonda, Charles Coburn, William Demarest

8/31 (Anna and The King of Siam) Irene Dunne, Rex Harrison, Linda Darnell, Gale Sondergaard

I think Anthony Quinn was featured last year. Peter O'Toole is a friend of TCM, so my bet is on him for the 3rd.

Stanwyck was SOTM last December, so we can count her out. I would say Henry Fonda for the 24th.

I think Irene Dunne was featured last year. Linda Darnell was featured two years ago. So on the 31st, I would say it's going to be Rex Harrison.

The other ones are harder to determine.

Wasn't Kirk SOTM about two years ago? And they showed all those Walter Pidgeon films when Greer was SOTM recently, so I am going to pick Lana for the 10th. I would certainly like to see Gloria Grahame get her due, but since they market SUTS with the biggest, most well-known names, I can see them going with Lana.

• 2 weeks later...