Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Don't Make Me Do It!! (1930's-1950's)

lydecker

Well Claudette Colbert didn't want to make It Happend One Night. Greer Garson was weary of making Mrs. Miniver because she had a teenage/ early twenties son. Marilyn Monroe did not want to make Some Like it Hot and tried to gain weight to get out of it. Humphrey Bogart did not want to make Sabrina and was very against Holden and Hepburn. I'm pretty sure Oliver didn't want to make Wuthering Heights, but maybe he just disliked it. Anyway the point is all of these movies were very succsessful.

You're right, Olivier didn't want to do Wuthering Heights. And he most definitely did not want

Merle Oberon as his co-star; he wanted Vivien Leigh to portray Cathy. Maureen O' Hara did not want to do Miracle on 34th St; I think she wanted to visit her family in Ireland at that time.

Edited by: Geminigirl on Apr 21, 2013 6:38 PM

Brando didn't really want to do "Teahouse", and was surprised at how well it did, box office wise.

Despite any of their misgivings or reluctnance, these people had a sense of professionalism that betrayed their lack of enthusiasm. In retrospect, I suppose they got over it, after seeing how well loved these movies became. It took Christopher Plummer a lot of years to get over his despising of *The Sound Of Music* , and it's been a while since he quit referring to it as "The Sound Of Mucous".

Sepiatone

Judy Garland did not want to do "Meet Me in St. Louis," believing it would be a step backward to portray yet another teenaged girl. She had been making the transition out of that category and did not relish returning to it. However, she was pleased with how it turned out and it was said to be one of her favorite pictures.

Also, along with Claudette Colbert, Clark Gable wasn't too happy about doing "It Happened One Night." He was being punished for something or other, the punishment being loaned out to poverty row studio Columbia for a film, instead of reporting to the much more prestigious MGM, his home studio. Ironically, he won the Oscar for "It Happened One Night" and returned to MGM bigger than ever.

lydecker said...

Fred MacMurray did not want to play Walter Neff in "Double Indemnity." "I do nice

little comedies with Carole Lombard . . . " the actor said.

==========================

Actually, by the time of DOUBLE INDEMNITY, Fred would have said "I DID nice little comedies with Carole Lombard..."