Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Need Info Please - 1929 "The Single Standard" Greta Garbo, Nils Asther

CD1

I have a lobby card (I assume that's what it is) from the 1929 film "The Single Standard".

It is framed, so I cannot measure exactly, but it appears to be approximately 11"x14".

I have never seen this piece or image before, and am curious for ANY more information on it. If anyone can help, I will greatly appreciate it.

See photo:

9041d1ec-96fe-49a5-8b44-7afa0da11895_zps

Looking at the items from the links Vallo provided, I don't think your piece is a "Lobby Card". It is likely a cropped Window Card for the film.

Window Cards measure 14" x 22" and typically are simple, silkscreen-like in their artwork.

GarboWC

Window Card for *Inspiration*

Most all Window Cards had a blank area at the top of the card where local theaters would print the dates and the theater name of where the film is showing. These were then placed around town in the windows of other establishments -- like the grocery store, the barber shop, the drug store, etc. -- to advertise the film's upcoming engagement. (The owners of the other stores usually got free passes for displaying the Window Card.)

Your item looks like it is a Window Card that has had the top area cut off leaving just the printed graphic. And while it is a nice image, being "cropped" has reduced its value greatly.

Thank you very much!

I had someone else tell me they thought it was a window card, as well. I guess the fact that it's been cut-down threw me off... I never really considered that.

I'll probably take it out of the frame at some point so I can look at the entire piece and verify that it was, indeed, cut-down, plus see if there are any other markings, etc.

Thanks again for the insight! It was driving me crazy that I couldn't find any info on this. And I still cannot find any other examples of this window card or this "duo-tone" artwork.