Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Not again???

Just saw a coming attraction for..that's right.....you guessed it...*Lawrence of Arabia*. Are Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago now on a monthly rotation? Was just watching Critic's Choice with Bob and Lucy but hadda turn it off...awful! uh-humph... Lawwwrence! Lawrence of Arabia. He's an english guy. He came to fight the turkish, (the actual lyrics to the Maurice Jarre theme) :^0

> {quote:title=PrinceSaliano wrote:}{quote}Meanwhile, when is the last time TCM showed WEARY RIVER, THE MAD GENIUS, IS MY FACE RED?, BAD COMPANY, STATE'S ATTORNEY or ALIAS THE DOCTOR???

Weary River I believe was last on during Oscar month in either 2003 or 2004.

The Mad Genius was last on in January 2008.

I can't remember seeing any of the others on TCM in the last five years.

> {quote:title=FlyBackTransformer wrote:}{quote}Just saw a coming attraction for..that's right.....you guessed it...*Lawrence of Arabia*. Are Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago now on a monthly rotation? Was just watching Critic's Choice with Bob and Lucy but hadda turn it off...awful! uh-humph... Lawwwrence! Lawrence of Arabia. He's an english guy. He came to fight the turkish, (the actual lyrics to the Maurice Jarre theme) :^0

On April 22 and April 23 TCM is spotlighting cinema archives, so the spotlight may be on specific instances of restoration, thus the reason for all of the mainstream films. I did like the day back in December 2011 when they had a full day of rarities that had been restored - "The Valiant", "The Trespasser", and a bunch of other seldom seen films.

> I did like the day back in December 2011 when they had a full day of rarities that had been restored - "The Valiant", "The Trespasser", and a bunch of other seldom seen films.

Was that the day that included *One-Third of the Nation* ? What a hoot of a movie, including a scene of a building talking to a ~12-year-old Sidney Lumet. Seriously.

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> > I did like the day back in December 2011 when they had a full day of rarities that had been restored - "The Valiant", "The Trespasser", and a bunch of other seldom seen films.

> Was that the day that included *One-Third of the Nation* ? What a hoot of a movie, including a scene of a building talking to a ~12-year-old Sidney Lumet. Seriously.

Well, for some of us it beats the sight of Vivien Leigh talking to a bleeping turnip, but to each his own. B-)

> {quote:title=Fedya wrote:}{quote}

> > I did like the day back in December 2011 when they had a full day of rarities that had been restored - "The Valiant", "The Trespasser", and a bunch of other seldom seen films.

> Was that the day that included *One-Third of the Nation* ? What a hoot of a movie, including a scene of a building talking to a ~12-year-old Sidney Lumet. Seriously.

Yes, that was the day. It was also the day they showed the only complete version of The Lottery Bride that I've ever seen. I think it's been out on DVD for ages, but it's a truncated version.

Um, anyone want to essplain the Vivien Leigh/turnip thing to me? I'm lost.

But yeah, I sprained my eyes rolling them when the trailer came on for *yet another* prime time showing of Laaaaaaaaaaawrence!- a film which I *love* and which *I personally* can watch each time it's on, but *yeah, I totally get it's getting leaned on too heavily, especially in PRIME TIME.*

Part of the blame lays at the feet of the guest programmers- A LOT OF WHOM have picked it for airing, I know in a not-so-stunning dearth of imagination, La Barrymore is, like um, the fifth Essentials host in a row to pick Laaaaaaaaawrence! as one of their inclusions.

The downside to these heavy airings of "standard classics" is that they can cause some of us to develop a *real enmity* for films that *don't deserve it.*

I know I for one have come to a point where I *f-ing HATE* Gigi and From Here to Eternity, films that really deserve no more than a "meh" at worst- simply because they have aired 142 times in the last three years.

Redgarding Tuesday's screening --

*Grover Crisp, Senior Vice President, Asset Management, Film Restoration and Digital Mastering at Sony Pictures, presents David Lean's biopic Lawrence of Arabia (1962), given a stunning 50th anniversary restoration.*

http://www.tcm.com/this-month/article/598929%7C602139/Introduction-to-Studio-Archives.html

Anyone know whether this restoration version has been shown on TCM before this week?

> Anyone know whether this restoration version has been shown on TCM before this week?

I don't think so. The restoration was only completed last summer/early fall (if my memory isn't too faulty).

It was a major undertaking and from what I have heard, looks absolutely stunning compared to previous versions.

I hope to be pleasantly surprised. It brings to mind a day of films in September 2010 that had been restored by UCLA. One of the films was from the Universal Sherlock Holmes series, TERROR BY NIGHT if I recall correctly.

Technically I guess we could say that the labeling was correct, the film had been restored by UCLA, but what we got was a public domain print. So yes, we were celebrating that it had been restored, only the restored print wasn't invited to the party.

Restored, rehydrated, reconstituted, it doesn't matter. It's STILL *Lawrence Of Arabia* .You might find this hard to believe, but there ARE many people who really can't tell the difference, and an equal number who don't really CARE.

A lot of viewers who turn on TCM do so in the hopes of seeing some long lost gem they haven't seen in umpteen years, or some great old "classic" they've never seen before. But, if like most people, they SLEEP between 11:00pm and 9:00am, they'll probably miss a few of THOSE, and tune in during PRIME TIME to watch, yet again, "Lawrence", "Eternity" , "Streecar" or *Guess Who's Coming To Dinner .*

Flyback has a legitamate gripe. TCM should reverse the trend, show the "frequent flyers" on the red-eye shift, and the long-lost fare during prime time.

Sepiatone

You might find this hard to believe, but there ARE many people who really can't tell the difference, and an equal number who don't really CARE.

On a simulated, genuine imitation, HD transmission as TCM offers, I doubt that anyone will be able to spot any picture upgrade compared to the 1989 restoration. Maybe the print might have a second or two more of O'Toole singing "I'm So Pretty" while doing the boogaloo on top of the train. Perhaps we'll really get to see what happened when Jose Ferrer gets a few minutes alone with O'Toole.

Honestly, it doesn't matter to me if anyone can tell the difference or if they care, but I'm not going to speculate as to how many of them there may be. But despite your lack of faith in my willingness to believe in them, I actually do.

My point was that TCM could and has celebrated restorations before without airing the actual restoration. If they actually show it, I'll make a mental note within the first minute or so, then I'll likely play back either ATTACK or THE GUN RUNNERS, two seldom aired films getting a spin this afternoon. If I really want to see a newly restored version of a film already restored, then I'll get a BR copy so that I can actually see the difference.

For the record, I didn't see any need for them to show FOR A FISTFUL OF DOLLARS twice this month either.

TCM invites the Heads of the Film Libraries of the major Hollywood Studios to their set so that they can promote the work they are doing in preservation and restoration -- work that is integral and important to TCM's mission -- and you all are complaining about what these men chose to bring as examples of their recent work.

Over the past ten days, a number of films have appeared on the channel for the first time -- including Preston Sturges' last "great" film *Unfaithfully Yours*, Rodger's and Hammerstein's *Carousel* and a Laurence Olivier rarity, *Perfect Understanding*. Add to that the "discovery" of Pierre Etaix with six of his films and all these complaints start to look churlish.

BTW - *Lawrence Of Arabia* is showing starting at 11:30pm -- during that "dreaded" bedtime period of 11pm to 9am that you suggested all the "perennials" be exiled to. So what's the beef?

I'm surprised no one started a thread on Unfaithfully Yours (I guess I shouldnt be surprised, as debuts seldom do any more). I had never seen it. Unfortunately, this was a film that turned out (for me) not to be worth the wait. Didnt think it was funny or cared for it at all, but I'm glad TCM finally showed it.........

> {quote:title=Hibi wrote:}{quote}I'm surprised no one started a thread on Unfaithfully Yours (I guess I shouldnt be surprised, as debuts seldom do any more). I had never seen it. Unfortunately, this was a film that turned out (for me) not to be worth the wait. Didnt think it was funny or cared for it at all, but I'm glad TCM finally showed it.........

Yeah, I "rented" Unfaithfully Yours from Netflix a few years back and couldn't even finish it. It is a shame that les premieres don't get the kind of attention that the "Oh God, not again!" threads do.

On that note, I checked out the schedule for Tuesday night.

I had ASSumed that Laaaaaaaaaawrence! would be on at 8:00 (they've been showing the trailer a lot.) But no, not only is it the bumper end of the night, *but it is preceded by two cool titles:* the *1950 version of Treasure Island* which I have never seen, but which I understand contains a major performance by Robert Newton and surely some stunning visuals; and another of the Universal Horrors freed from their AMC shackles (at last)- *James Whale's* *The Invisible Man,* which has aired a coupla' times on TCM in the last few years and which they are welcome to show as much of as they like.

*So no, I have to say tomorrow night's line-up contains far more to be praised than knocked.*

PS- REALLY THOUGH, think about giving Laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaawrence! a rest for a bit after this though. We're close to hitting marrow on it.

Edited by: AddisonDeWitless on Apr 22, 2013 12:24 PM

I mean why the frequent rotations for Lawrence and Zhivago and the lesser "pets" like Eternity and Guess Who's Coming to Dinner? Why? There are so many other films out there, seen and unseen, that TCM ought to be giving air time to on our TVs. Just to name an example, when was the last time TCM aired William Cameron Menzies' Invaders from Mars? No, not the US version but rather the superior UK cut?...with added scenes shot specifically for the UK release? The larger problem is who TCM thinks they are catering to. I think they should be catering to the millions of cable subscribers of America and elsewhere. Instead they're setting up film festivals and private screenings for a select few. Well, I don't really get out that much so I would like a better selection of films that I can watch in the privacy of my home thank you. We're not all like Aunt Jenny (Imogene Coca) from that episode of The Brady Bunch meaning that were not all globe-trotting socialites who can't stay still for ten minutes.