Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

Kathryn Grayson and Howard Keel in “Kiss Me Kate” (1953)

Yeah, not bad, Kid.

But sorry, I'LL take Ann Miller here swingin' those gams o' hers around in the "Too Darn Hot" number in that same film over that ANY ol' day o' the week!

Ann-Miller-kiss-me-kate-still1.png

;)

Yea,  this picture does fits the theme here, but I'm still trying to figure out if I enjoyed seeing it or not.  :huh:

Yeah, well, and not that it's a big deal here or anything, but what I'M tryin' to figure out here is why ham posted this pic in a manner in which presents the idea that it was I who had earlier posted that pic of Cher???

(...'cause I don't recall ever postin' it)

Yeah, well, and not that it's a big deal here or anything, but what I'M tryin' to figure out here is why ham posted this pic in a manner in which presents the idea that it was I who had earlier posted that pic of Cher???

(...'cause I don't recall ever postin' it)

I wondered that also,  but just assumed Ham felt you looked like the guy standing to Cher's left.    ;)

I wondered that also,  but just assumed Ham felt you looked like the guy standing to Cher's left.    ;)

LOL

Nah, I got a lot more hair on my head than that guy!

(...and in fact, all over my body for THAT matter, but then again we older gentlemen don't go in for all this here waxing stuff the kids all do today, ya know!) 

Rouben Mamoulian, Miriam Hopkins, and guest enjoy tea time on the set of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde:

I assume the guest is March,  but I have always wondered if a stand in was used (some of the time) in which case the stand-in could be the guest.

Jack Lemmon and his mother:

z7R5mUX.jpg

Thanks Doc!

Ya know, I've always wondered what Daphne would have looked like years later and after a long and happy life as Mrs. Osgood Fielding III. ;)

(...Jack looked a lot like his Mom, didn't he?!)

I assume the guest is March,  but I have always wondered if a stand in was used (some of the time) in which case the stand-in could be the guest.

I'm reasonably sure at least some shots in the climax are of someone else in the monkey suit

I'm reasonably sure at least some shots in the climax are of someone else in the monkey suit

Yea,  I noticed the same thing when I saw the film last week.   At the end when there are a lot of physical stunts it looked like someone else was in that monkey suit.

Eddie and George have a disagreement on the set of Manpower, (Life magazine, 1941):

Alan Hale holds Robinson back, while Ward Bond seems to be egging them on.

Did they really have a disagreement?   I only ask because the article uses the term 'stage' which to me implies it wasn't a real disagreement,  but instead they were acting. 

Did they really have a disagreement?   I only ask because the article uses the term 'stage' which to me implies it wasn't a real disagreement,  but instead they were acting. 

The book Inside Warner Bros by Rudy Behlmer includes the texts of studio memos on the matter. WB wrote to the SAG seeking punishment against Raft for the way he acted.

S P O I L E R

A L E R T

Raft eventually got in line enough to continue working with EGR, but when it came time to shoot the climax he acted up again, insisting Walsh was trying to shoot the scene to make him look like a villain (deliberately releasing the belt so EGR falls to his death). When he could not get things changed to his satisfaction he simply walked off the set (this is from the WB memos), forcing Walsh to piece the scene together from previous shots of Raft, a Raft stand in and various close ups of hands.

In the released film EGR's death is definitely depicted as an accident, as Raft valiantly struggles to hold onto the belt but cannot keep it from slipping out of his hand.

I love your wide-screen photos. Did you make those by stitching wide pan shots together, left to right?? :)

Yes. They're sequences I've stitched together in Photoshop. I can't use just any sequence though; heavy use of truck and or zoom in the shot makes it almost impossible to stitch. Things just won't line up without my introducing a lot of distortion. The best sequence type for this is a simple camera pivot which is fairly rare.

As for going left to right, it depends on the shot. For example here's one that was built both leftward and rightward giving a clear starting image on each end but blur and distortion in the middle.

HouseSlippers_zps4f8d4a21.jpg

The book Inside Warner Bros by Rudy Behlmer includes the texts of studio memos on the matter. WB wrote to the SAG seeking punishment against Raft for the way he acted.

S P O I L E R

A L E R T

Raft eventually got in line enough to continue working with EGR, but when it came time to shoot the climax he acted up again, insisting Walsh was trying to shoot the scene to make him look like a villain (deliberately releasing the belt so EGR falls to his death). When he could not get things changed to his satisfaction he simply walked off the set (this is from the WB memos), forcing Walsh to piece the scene together from previous shots of Raft, a Raft stand in and various close ups of hands.

In the released film EGR's death is definitely depicted as an accident, as Raft valiantly struggles to hold onto the belt but cannot keep it from slipping out of his hand.

This is just another example where Raft comes off as a big baby.    He wasn't a good enough actor to be such a pain to the studio.

Who sez writers don't get no respect?

(Say, 3rd row, left - isn't that Lurch of the Addams Family?)

Cj72fpu.jpg

I recall reading in Halliwell that Gleason had worked on scripts. I believe Robert Keith also wrote some scripts around this time.

Curiously the ad doesn't mention Brown's films as a director.

Henry "Pathé" Lehrman directed Chaplin's first films and was allegedly engaged to Virginia Rappe when she died in 1921 (although an entry at his IMDb page disputes this).

That early '30s ad uses the same photo of Lehrman as this one from 1917:

lmTZPz6.jpg