Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

Great photo, ham. I linked yours to these others on eBay. Pretty cool stuff.

3g6c3.jpg

xoo30y.jpg

I once said, why buy? Just copy, print and save $$. (even have a spare for future use on the hard drive)  One might make a better 8 X 10 than the one being sold.

• 2 weeks later...

Errol Flynn's Immigration Form

post-28550-0-16753800-1421212560_thumb.jpg

Olivia de Havilland's Immigration Form

post-28550-0-76916300-1421212780_thumb.jpg

Click on the attachments to read the forms.  That Errol, boy knew how to take a good picture.

post-28550-0-16753800-1421212560_thumb.jpg

post-28550-0-76916300-1421212780_thumb.jpg

9usmrs.jpg

Thanks for posting this.  It's the best photo of a Western Electric  Sound Camera (recorder) I've came across.  Only seen smaller photos or drawing illustrations.  :)

He is pointing to the focal point where the horizontal sliver of light hits the negative - makes a variable density recording in this case. The white stock is not film,  just for demo.  The stabilizer is next to the pencil, the 2nd is the drive sprocket.  Below his hand is the electromagnet that encloses the light valve assembly which was invented by Lee DeForest (also invented the vacuum tube) whom called it Photophone.  The little black box with the chimney at the very left houses the exciter lamp.

The black box on the wall is the patch where the recorder is connected.

The motor the drives the unit is a selsyn which is linked to the one in the camera for proper syncronation.

elec4_25-1.jpg

The finished recording

depriest.001.png

• Like 1

The finished recording

Thanks for the description of the equipment.

I own an Auricon optical-track sound camera, in which all of that stuff has been miniaturized to a sound-head size of about 2 inches by 3 inches, and it places a variable-area sound track on the film as the camera photographs the image.

The sound track is advanced about 26 frames ahead of the image frame and it is always in synch since both are on the same piece of film. It uses single-perf 16 mm film with the sprocket drive on one edge and the sound track on the other edge (the edge with no perfs).

The sound head is the rectangular gray block in the center-rear of the camera. The light goes out the front "nozzle" and onto the sound track of the film. They later designed a magnetic head and fit it inside that curved metal thing to the left of the optical sound head.

The optical "exciter lamp" is low-voltage and fits inside that round thing that has the name AURICON written on it. Looks a little like a small flashlight bulb. The rectangular box contains the device that has some kind of "blade"  or "mirror" that vibrates in tune with the sound and that is what causes either the variable density or variable area, carefully focused light beam, to hit the edge of the film. Much like a flashlight beam that might be designed to flicker to the same frequencies as the sound track.

auricon_filmpath.jpg

• Like 2

Errol Flynn's Immigration Form

errolflynn.jpg

Olivia de Havilland's Immigration Form

olivia.jpg

Click on the attachments to read the forms. That Errol, boy knew how to take a good picture.

Thanks for posting this speedracer5. I really enjoyed reading the way they both entered the U.S.A. She arrived by the Siberia Mahu and he by foot from Mexico. Incredible. I love old documents. Reminds me so much of reading my Dads WWII papers. So many interesting facts we don't know. Great idea showing those.
  • Like 1

Came across this one while looking for Diva pics...it's so bizarre even I am speechless. LOL

joanandcolonel_zpsaf5aaeb5.png

This must explain why to this very day, one can only order a Pepsi and not Coca-Cola at all KFC locations.

(...though of course, anyone who lives in CA, NV and AZ knows that El Pollo Loco is where one goes to get GOOD fast food chicken)

• Like 1

Came across this one while looking for Diva pics...it's so bizarre even I am speechless. LOL

joanandcolonel_zpsaf5aaeb5.png

That hat puts me in mind of a huge mushroom. Surely the designer didn't intend it to look that way, but how could he/she not have seen it?

• Like 1

That is bizarre - here's the background on it:

Hmmmm...and here in 1974, Ol' Leadbottom is found at age 49 floating face-down in his San Fernando Valley home's swimming pool, and just a short while after ticking off Brando and a whole lot of other celebs with his egg delivery system, eh?!

(...coincidence?...YOU be the judge!) ;)

How time hasn't changed.

03-DS-Yellow-Hat-Crazy-Hats-1.jpg

Outrageous_Celebrity_Hats_08.jpg

3638620_G.jpg

135834.jpeg?ts=1280739603

Also perfect timing on your reply, I watched "Final Destination 4" last night and there is a hat scene. Notice the guy sitting behind, lol.

Please take off your hat, I can't see my death.

Jonathan_Groves.png