Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

20r1wmp.jpg

I remember those Prell commercials in the 70's (or maybe late 60's?) when I was a kid...the one where they dropped a pearl into the bottle of shampoo to show how thick it was? I was comstantly dropping beads and small pebbles in our shampoo to watch them sink--my mother wanted to kill me! LOL

• 1 month later...

In 1910 Carl Laemmle's struggling IMP studio lured "The Biograph Girl" (contract players were not billed under their real names, as then they might demand big money) to his company and publicized her under her name, Florence Lawrence, making her the world's first movie star.

To get even more publicity Laemmle started a rumor that Lawrence had been killed in a streetcar accident, which he "refuted" in this ad.

FIL5eun.jpg

"I Love Lucy" behind the scenes.

The story I read years ago said that it was Desi’s idea to shoot the show with three film cameras instead of doing it live with three TV cameras and making a low-quality kinescope for recording the show.

I think he offered to pay the extra expense himself if he and Lucy could wind up owning all the film. So, he was thinking well ahead of time about “re-runs” of the show syndicated on TV, and this is why their re-runs are very high quality and on film, rather than a fuzzy kinescope. (A kinescope is a film made by a camera photographing a live TV screen, and the kinescope conversion from a TV image to a film image is always fuzzy.)

Desi's direct to film system is supposed to have made Desi and Lucy rich and was the beginning of their own TV/film company, Desilu Productions.

The story I read years ago said that it was Desi’s idea to shoot the show with three film cameras instead of doing it live with three TV cameras and making a low-quality kinescope for recording the show.

Desi's direct to film system is supposed to have made Desi and Lucy rich and was the beginning of their own TV/film company, Desilu Productions.

Exactly, Desi was brilliant!  :)

The movie Freaks was based on these performers.

From a 1934 photo of Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey sideshow performers

30adrmd.jpg

Great picture, Kid. I like the movie. I guess I can understand that people weren't ready for it back then. I've often wondered where he found the elongated head people.

Great picture, Kid. I like the movie. I guess I can understand that people weren't ready for it back then. I've often wondered where he found the elongated head people.

I believe some were born with this feature, but I don't know if they came from the general public or a specific region.

There were Mexico peoples who would wrap twine around a newborn's head to create the elongated head feature. They would rewrap as the child grew to accomodate the size - but always open at the top to promote elongation in that direction. May have been Mayans who practiced this.

I believe some were born with this feature, but I don't know if they came from the general public or a specific region.

There were Mexico peoples who would wrap twine around a newborn's head to create the elongated head feature. They would rewrap as the child grew to accomodate the size - but always open at the top to promote elongation in that direction. May have been Mayans who practiced this.

Someone need to tell Giorgio A. Tsoukalos that! The Manbetu people of central Africa use to practice that until it died out around the 1950's

An+elongated+head+was+an+ideal+of+beauty

Here are three young fellows who called themselves The Quarreymen.  

george_john_paul_2.jpg

They were looking for a drummer.  I wonder whatever became of them.

That group was formed by John Lennon which evolved into the Beatles.

That group was formed by John Lennon which evolved into the Beatles.

Never heard of them!           (come on did you really think no one knew who these lads were!).

I have a guitar that looks very similar to the one George playing.    I wonder what make it is (mine is a Gibson L7 but I don't think that one is a Gibson).

Never heard of them!           (come on did you really think no one knew who these lads were!).

I have a guitar that looks very similar to the one George playing.    I wonder what make it is (mine is a Gibson L7 but I don't think that one is a Gibson).

James, that's a Höfner President Acoustic.