Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

23 hours ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Image result for george raft and edward g robinson fight photos

Edward G Robinson and George Raft get into a real fight on the set of Manpower.

Yes, BUT in the heat of battle, reportedly, the following words spoken would never be truer...

"Myeah, Myeah, and another thing! That guy what brought ya out here and told ya you could act was lyin' to ya, SEE?!"

"War of the Worlds" introduction.

alld.jpg

George Pal, left, with Sir Cedric Hardwicke, who narrated the film, at a recording session.

Pal thought it appropriate that an English voice speak Wells's words.

• Like 1
10 hours ago, hamradio said:

CPWX6LeUcAEEfaK.jpg

Q0dVRaTx2DiXAPhBe9z2OLl1wQVB8vv8gz5SL31i

2e45a5341a3ab7db20804d3cd5526a27.jpg

JNROrgr15_mF_P3VchkeHDom2LnI_Vds9U1owxeG

Look ma, no legs!

pfcrecvllja11.jpg

CLyKvyDVAAIqNy4.jpg

I love War of the Worlds. It's one of my fav science fiction movies. I love it for a number of reasons. The effects are top-notch for the time, I think. The suspense keeps me on the edge of my seat. I really love the ending. Sir Cedric Hardwicke says that when all of our weapons had failed to destroy the martians, it was the little things that God, in His infinite wisdom, put upon this Earth.

• Like 2
34 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

I love War of the Worlds. It's one of my fav science fiction movies. I love it for a number of reasons. The effects are top-notch for the time, I think. The suspense keeps me on the edge of my seat. I really love the ending. Sir Cedric Hardwicke says that when all of our weapons had failed to destroy the martians, it was the little things that God, in His infinite wisdom, put upon this Earth.

H.G. Wells was a genius in that the Earth itself has an immune system.  This is why landing on alien worlds IF any has life is a very bad idea.  The organisms there will do to us what the Earth microbes did to the Martians.

Realistically if the Martians were as intelligent the movie portrayed "mental giants" such beings would had sent probes to find out what the conditions are on Earth before making that one way trip  the hovercraft had no way of returning.

Some fun facts, WOTW seems to be the first sci fi to employ shields.  The  weapons on opposite sides are plasma cannons - a term long since to be coined.

The mind blower is their camera that went into the collapse house. That has became reality and one lab is experimenting with the same snake like cable.

417838C900000578-0-image-a-22_1497621119

bc26ebfc6ccefab0c89d2aa101f11e84.png

Funny our present day cameras are WAY smaller than that one in the movie.

Magnetic levitation has also become reality.

Maglev-train_maxresdefault.jpg

WarOfTheWorlds_126-640x480.jpg

That hovercraft design is still amazing even by today's standards. 

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, Rudy's Girl said:

43202bdf1d0f0ae651b73c66eb282f77.jpg

Ah yes! The second place runner-up in the Anachronistic Photo Shoot Awards of 1959.

The winner, you ask?

Why, THIS one of course...

anachronism-Lincoln-boom-box-e1503348779638.jpg

(...and primarily because in 1959, boom boxes wouldn't come into vogue for another twenty years or so!)

;)

• Like 1
3 hours ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

AVA CYD.jpg

OOOF!

My two favorite gals...Ava and Cyd. And I believe two of your favs too, eh James?!

(...were they ever in the same film?...can't think of one...but considering this shot here, maybe they were)

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

OOOF!

My two favorite gals...Ava and Cyd. And I believe two of your favs too, eh James?!

(...were they ever in the same film?...can't think of one...but considering this shot here, maybe they were)

They were two beautiful Treasures of MGM.

Ava did a cameo in "The Band Wagon" movie starring Fred Astaire and Cyd Charisse.

She had a very brief scene with Fred.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 3/23/2020 at 11:03 PM, Rudy's Girl said:

I love War of the Worlds.

Me too for all the reasons you state. I'm especially impressed with the ghostly visible "shield" bubble over the hovercrafts.

Thanks for posting those pictures, Ham-LOVE them!

On 3/23/2020 at 11:03 PM, Rudy's Girl said:

I really love the ending. Sir Cedric Hardwicke says that when all of our weapons had failed to destroy the martians, it was the little things that God, in His infinite wisdom, put upon this Earth.

Since I'm not a believer in "God", I do think the planet has evolved with an organic balance. The events happening now illustrate what devastation imbalance can create on a particulate level.

On 3/23/2020 at 11:34 PM, hamradio said:

Funny our present day cameras are WAY smaller than that one in the movie.

Today, teeny "snake" cameras are used to probe inside the body as well as larger "drone" cameras to probe disaster/construction sites.

11 hours ago, Dargo said:

OOOF!

This photo was taken while the two were filming East Side,  West Side.     Both are supporting players but they get a good amount of screen time. 

This 1949 crime\romance film stars Barbara Stanwyck,  James Mason,  Van Heflin and these two very beautiful gals. 

East Side, West Side FilmPoster.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/22/2020 at 4:38 PM, Dargo said:

Yes, BUT in the heat of battle, reportedly, the following words spoken would never be truer...

"Myeah, Myeah, and another thing! That guy what brought ya out here and told ya you could act was lyin' to ya, SEE?!"

the two already detested each other Eddie G. a superb actor but was no tough guy & Raft was, same area  of Hells Kitchen Cagney worked delivering papers

I know an Italian Girl who has a crush on Raft

Cagney wrote in his autobio that George Raft-(friends with Bugsy siegel0 was the real deal gangster

Good bit though

• Like 1
On 3/30/2020 at 8:34 AM, TikiSoo said:

Me too for all the reasons you state. I'm especially impressed with the ghostly visible "shield" bubble over the hovercrafts.

Since I'm not a believer in "God", I do think the planet has evolved with an organic balance. The events happening now illustrate what devastation imbalance can create on a particulate level.

Today, teeny "snake" cameras are used to probe inside the body as well as larger "drone" cameras to probe disaster/construction sites.

marvelous shots

On 3/30/2020 at 8:34 AM, TikiSoo said:

Tiki, you likely mean the '53 version right & not Spielberg's?