Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

8 minutes ago, Det Jim McLeod said:

Last photo of John Lennon and Paul McCartney together 1974, (with Harry Nilsson 

Harry Nilsson, Paul McCartney, and John Lennon, 1974. | Lennon and ...

Since John is here with Harry Nilsson in 1974, I'm guessing that this was taken during his infamous "Lost Weekend" in LA.

I'm also guessing that Paul is here with them because they all did a bizarre album called "A Toot and a Snore '74", which was the last musical collaboration between John and Paul.

• Like 1
On 4/2/2020 at 3:21 PM, cigarjoe said:

i-walk-alone-lizabeth-scott-1948-everett.jpg

Liz Scott 1948

Nice photo of Scott.     I watched Two of a Kind on MOVIES on their "Noir to Die For" all day Thursday series.    Not one of her better noir \ crime films but O'Brien and Scott have good chemistry.   Alexander Knox as a shady lawyer is out-of-place and bland.     Not much really happens in the 75 minutes running time,  the film isn't very gritty and the photography rather flat,  but Liz looks great and wears a different niffy outfit in almost every scene.

image.jpeg.115a2e996c6661f4d8463f16895872c9.jpeg

Now here is both an interesting and historical image

Picture

What you are looking at is the 1910 Salon de l'Automobile, where Georges Claude decorated the façade of the Grand Palais with four neon tubes thirty-six metres long.  First use of neon lights. Image is by Léon Gimpel 1910 or 1912. 

In 1912 Fonsèque [Georges Claude's associate] sold the world’s first neon advertising sign to a small barber shop called Palais Coiffeur on the Boulevard Montmartre. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 4/4/2020 at 1:42 PM, Princess of Tap said:

I'm also guessing that Paul is here with them because they all did a bizarre album called "A Toot and a Snore '74", which was the last musical collaboration between John and Paul.

I don't think that was a "real" album per se, but it was probably bootlegged under that name from a jam session John and Paul did with Nilsson, Stevie Wonder and some others had which didn't go so well, possibly because John passed out cocaine to everybody. Or so I've read.

• Haha 1

Before cookie cutter multiples, there were twins.  Here is a bit of ad copy from the early 1970s, that infernal era where remaining large single-screen theaters were horrendously subdivided into two or three smaller rooms.  In the image below, you can clearly see the asymmetrical seating arrangement which resulted, including part of a balcony.  Furthermore the screen is off-center, in the wrong direction, to accommodate the exit on the right.  What a travesty!   Twin-em! 

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/twin-em.jpg

26 minutes ago, MovieCollectorOH said:

Before cookie cutter multiples, there were twins.  Here is a bit of ad copy from the early 1970s, that infernal era where remaining large single-screen theaters were horrendously subdivided into two or three smaller rooms.  In the image below, you can clearly see the asymmetrical seating arrangement which resulted, including part of a balcony.  Furthermore the screen is off-center, in the wrong direction, to accommodate the exit on the right.  What a travesty!   Twin-em! 

There was a plan to twin my local downtown theatre back during the 1970's, deal fell through stating it couldn't be done due to structural issues.  Seems the original   architects made it "twin proof"

They never twinned the single theaters in my small hometown.  They erected a pupose-built twin screen theater around 1970 or so, and closed down one of the second run houses.  Of course, all of those are gone now, replaced by an AMC multiplex (for now, I guess).  The second run house became an antiques mall; the first run house is an events center - they removed all the seats, but retained the stage and screen.  There had been as many as 6 single screeners at one time in town, but that was before TV (and before my time).   Some of those screens were replaced with 3 drive-ins, which, of course, were torn down long ago.  Same company owned all of those screens, along with the cable TV system in town.

• Like 1

Re the whole multiplex and/or smaller cinema concept...anyone here remember these:

aaawatch25.jpg

Lewis opened a camera shop in 1950, then in 1969, Lewis agreed to lend his name to "Jerry Lewis Cinemas", offered by National Cinema Corporation as a franchise business opportunity for those interested in theatrical movie exhibition. Jerry Lewis Cinemas stated that their theaters could be operated by a staff of as few as two with the aid of automation and support provided by the franchiser in booking film and other aspects of film exhibition. A forerunner of the smaller rooms typical of later multi-screen complexes, a Jerry Lewis Cinema was billed in franchising ads as a "mini-theatre" with a seating capacity of between 200 and 350.

In addition to Lewis's name, each Jerry Lewis Cinemas bore a sign with a cartoon logo of Lewis in profile.[83] Initially 158 territories were franchised, with a buy-in fee of $10,000 or $15,000 depending on the territory, for what was called an "individual exhibitor". For $50,000, Jerry Lewis Cinemas offered an opportunity known as an "area directorship", in which investors controlled franchising opportunities in a territory as well as their own cinemas.[84] The success of the chain was hampered by a policy of only booking second-run, family-friendly films.

Eventually the policy was changed, and the Jerry Lewis Cinemas were allowed to show more competitive movies. But after a decade the chain failed and both Lewis and National Cinema Corporation declared bankruptcy in 1980.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

There was a large mall complex called Randall Park Mall, which itself was an "urban renewal project" (circa 1976).  Built by mall developer DeBartolo, the mall developer who operated out of Youngstown.  They built several other large malls around the country at this time.

The mall was designed from the beginning with a few "Cinema I-II-III" theaters, but they were narrow long variety, reminiscent of the "twinned" theaters from earlier that decade.  This was really a poorly designed space, especially since it was designed with the mall, not afterwards.  The cinema entrance was through a single unit on the second floor.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-cinema-front1.jpg

Opening day.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-atrium-presentation-1976.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-cinema1-2-3.jpg

You were greeted with the ticket booth and a staircase.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-cinema-steps2.jpg

The concession stand was at the top of the staircase, and the theaters just beyond that.  Then the restrooms were up another flight of stairs.  Just very strange for something that was part of the original design.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-cinema-lobby1.jpg

A small affair, nevermind there were hundreds of other shops around the mall where you could get all sorts of crap to eat.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-cinema-lobby2.jpg

Here is an interior view,  just for perspective.  All three of them were proportioned like this.  (Ignore the water damage, as this was taken long after it was shut down.)  Why they would want to pattern any new construction after the "twinned" theaters with postage stamp-sized screens is beyond me, but that must have been an "in thing" at the time.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randall-park-mall-screens.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randall-park-mall-screens-back.jpg

That mall always had an asterisk-shaped configuration with around 200 shops anchored by 5 dept stores, but a 6th point of the asterisk was obviously missing. 

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-plan-1976.jpg

That had always been reserved for Halle's, a department store that was never added.  Halle's went out of business in the early 80s, but right around that time, there was a spike in criminal activity around the mall, including a snow plow driver discovering the dead body of a shoe store manager in the parking lot, and gang riots, which resulted in people with money taking their business elsewhere.  The mall never recovered and other malls within ten miles picked up the traffic.  It was about ten years after that in the 1990s, with the mall still operational but greatly diminished, that this last big anchor tennent space was built with a Magic Johnson Theater.  That fell to arson before long.

Since then most of the mall has been demolished, with the exception of 2-3 structures that used to be anchor stores, but now stand on their own.  Built on about 1/3 of the large circular parking lot that went around the perimeter of the mall is a new Amazon fulfillment center. 

There was this old hotel at the end of the parking lot that Bezos wanted the city to get rid of, as a condition of them moving their operations in.  So it is a net positive effect for that area.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randall-park-mall-05jpg.JPG

When I go into town to nearby areas to shop, I often see young guys of all varieties and persuasions (yoots) around and about wearing Amazon jackets/shirts, and I have been impressed with how they generally all look very happy.  Of course this was before the stupid COVID19 thingy was dumped upon us, so who knows if they are smiling now.  I'll bet on the average they still are, as this is a better time than ever to be working in the materials handling and trucking industry.

I'm a fan of 1970s kitsch, so given the chance I would have grabbed these.  There were several giant planters like this around the atrium.  Also check out the fiberglass seat.  The movie "Logan's Run" was filmed in a Texas mall that was designed during the same time period.  Just some unique architecture which we will probably never see again.

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-70s%20kitsch.jpg

http://moviecollectoroh.com/pics_to_hotlink_on_TCM/randallparkmall-kitsch-planters.jpg

Just some random thoughts.  Have a nice day.

• Like 1

The interior scenes in Logan's Run were filmed in the Dallas Trade Mart buildings, which admittedly looks like a mall atrium.  Reminds me of my high school, built in 1974, which was full of similar ovoid furniture and lighting fixtures in earth tones and had a similar central indoor mall area with skylights.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Dargo said:

Re the whole multiplex and/or smaller cinema concept...anyone here remember these:

aaawatch25.jpg

L

That reminded me of the board meeting in "The Flintstones"  (1994)

Fred.....Mr. Slate, I don't think you hired me just to sit here and look pretty, [he picks up a model house] if build houses these small, whose going to live in them?

:P

2008_0804_mystery_pix.jpg

Lila Leeds in what the press called her "Marijuana Shack" and "Reefer Resort." Where she....

lila_leeds_1948_1208_crop.jpg

and "shack" pals, "baby I don't care"....

lila_leeds_mitchum.jpg

Bob Mitchum along with Robin Ford and Vickie Evans got busted.  Robert Mitchum, with his sentence served quipped that jail was "just like a weekend in Palm Springs…only you meet a better class of people."

Lila got a movie out of it.

lila+leeds2.jpg

• Like 3
On 4/10/2020 at 6:46 PM, MovieCollectorOH said:

4.jpg

Our film group President posted this on his FB page:

94252992_3856921197682902_62211820328656

I'm totally Dorothy

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

With a bit of extra time from this shutdown/global financial reset in disguise, I am about to head out to help a friend change a car engine (be a second set of hands, but mostly just to hang out).  We live in an area where things are a bit more spread out, so I am not seeing much difference around here unless I go to the grocery store.  Then about 10% of the shoppers look like they're attending a surgeon's convention.  That and all the restaurants are carry out only or curbside delivery, so that has made a notable difference.  Hope there aren't too many small businesses blown away by this - they are the real victims here.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, lavenderblue19 said:

I'm Kitty.

I agree with you about the bra thing. Might as well go back to nature, eh?

Ohio-one of my movie buddies said he likes driving around downtown. He said it reminds him of what it looked like in the 50's/60's when everything was closed on Sundays. I concur.

I miss gathering with my fellow film lovers on Monday nights to enjoy a classic movie social, but otherwise, I love the quiet solitude. Thankfully I am a sole proprietor still working....but wonder what's the point?

• Like 3

I am sorry to say that I fit none of those choices well. 

I am expert at self-isolation because most of my work has at all times been done tele-electronically. I am a good cook. We avoid chocolate and other snacks by breaking a typical four-course meal into four separate mini-meals an hour or so apart. I do not have to make masks as we have a small supply of N95 masks due to wearing them when sanding wood. Lingerie is not a priority.

We recently had a tele-conference with a person with whom we both occasionally contract work. He noted that we were both in kimonos. He asked: "Which of you wears the pants in the family?" My esso stated: "We prefer it when neither of us are wearing pants." Those rare moments of brilliance are why I keep him around.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, TikiSoo said:

I agree with you about the bra thing. Might as well go back to nature, eh?

Ohio-one of my movie buddies said he likes driving around downtown. He said it reminds him of what it looked like in the 50's/60's when everything was closed on Sundays. I concur.

I miss gathering with my fellow film lovers on Monday nights to enjoy a classic movie social, but otherwise, I love the quiet solitude. Thankfully I am a sole proprietor still working....but wonder what's the point?

Tiki-- Thanks for that classic film piece.

Apparently, I have a lot more in common with Norma Desmond besides wanting to trap William Holden in the room above my garage.

• Haha 4