Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

This is the only photo I have ever seen with both Flynn and Cagney in it. Between them is Raoul Walsh. Cagney appears to be in his outfit from Captains of the Clouds visiting, I assume, the set of They Died With Their Boots On in 1941, probably to see old pal Walsh.

d1a904d4062d1bf4e15f34167bc12a48.jpg

• Like 2

37980b110f5214cb79c57025d09b2f2f.jpg

New Years Eve, 1957 at Romanoff's Restaurant in LA. Fascinating photo, not just to see so many Hollywood legends gathered together, but to see that they are all having such a good time in each other's company.

6e507e35c630fc2bb92fe0721b9c08e5.png

film-stars-clark-gable-van-heflin-gary-c

2cac35e2a5fffb6027cb0278bbff51d1.jpg

• Like 2
11 hours ago, TomJH said:

Raoul-Walsh-Humphrey-Bogart-Ida-Lupino-H

High Sierra set

Tom, this shot of the High Sierra set (and even though this interior shot was probably taken at the Warner Bros. studio in Burbank) reminds me of my wife and I's road trip we took about a month ago and which first entailed taking California's Hwy395 (that runs north and south along the eastern side of the Sierras) in order to first visit some friends of ours in the Reno NV area.

As we drove through Lone Pine, I spotted the Museum of Western Film History situated along the western side that highway in that little burg, and so thought it a good time to visit it.

This museum is wonderfully laid out and while mostly focusing on the western genre of movies made there, it also has exhibits spotlighting some of the memorable classics in other genres such as Gunga Din and some Sci-Fi. 

But, one of the coolest exhibits there is about High Sierra, and they actually have the very same 1937 Plymouth sedan that Bogie drove in that film.

humphrey-bogart-plymouth-couple-car-lone

I would now highly recommend to anyone interested in classic films and who might find themselves passing through Lone Pine to stop for the hour or so it takes to walk through it.

(...it's definitely worth the time and the paltry 5 bucks to get in)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

Clark Gable on the set of "To Please A Lady".

Here he seems to be pleasing the lady who is his costar, Barbara Stanwyck.

OR, what Robert Taylor might've saw when he walked onto this set and after Babs had heard about his latest affair.

51 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Did they really find it necessary to take a photo of Bud Abbot looking at the news of his partner's death? Come on.

Gotta say here Janet, that I found this shot of Bud rather poignant.

(...and as a statement on the idea of "An end of a era" sort'a thing)

• Thanks 1
57 minutes ago, Janet0312 said:

Did they really find it necessary to take a photo of Bud Abbot looking at the news of his partner's death? Come on.

I read somewhere that one of the reasons Bud Abbott was so upset at the time was that no one had even told him Lou was sick in the hospital, a reflection of the estrangement that sadly existed between the two comics at the time of Costello's death. Abbott's sadness would only increase with the years, feeling dejected by the Hollywood community that had once so embraced him and his partner. Of course, Internal Revenue would pursue him ruthlessly for back taxes and he would later, in a wheel chair, be reduced to appearing on television to ask his fans if they could send him a little money.

Aside from whatever you think of the photographer who took this shot of Bud reading his partner's obituary, I find the photo quite poignant. The good times were over for him and would never return.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Janet0312 said:

It's a historical document.

It's no different from taking photos of him at the funeral or any other place else where he was mourning.

13 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

It's a historical document.

It's no different from taking photos of him at the funeral or any other place else where he was mourning.

I viewed it as a staged photo.  The likelihood of Abbott appearing in public reading the paper at just the right angle for a photographer to capture it is pretty low.  He's reading an afternoon LA paper, so this would have been the afternoon after Costello passed away the night before.   Abbott was watching a rerun of their "Who's on First" routine on TV when he learned of Costello's passing.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

I viewed it as a staged photo.  The likelihood of Abbott appearing in public reading the paper at just the right angle for a photographer to capture it is pretty low.  He's reading an afternoon LA paper, so this would have been the afternoon after Costello passed away the night before.   Abbott was watching a rerun of their "Who's on First" routine on TV when he learned of Costello's passing.

You're a fan, aren't you?

Thanks for the info.

31 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Cast of "Annie"  (1982) before production.  Ann Reinking center rear.  Aileen Quinn with natural hair (movie used  crushed braids and a wig)

UNITED-STATES-MAY-13-Geoffrey-Holder-Car

Geoffrey Holder, The Tall Man in the white suit on the left, was a great contemporary dancer.  His versatility earned him a Tony Award for directing and doing the costume design for the original production of "The Wiz" on Broadway.

Bernadette Peters, to the front row on the right, is known as an actress and a singer. But she's also an excellent tap dancer-- having co-starred with Joel Grey in George M Cohan's "George M." on Broadway.

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Would have been nice if Carol Burnett and Tim Curry were in the picture too.

Carol is in the middle of the photo on Aileen Quinn's (Annie) right.

I almost didn't recognize her here.  She looks a bit like Helen Reddy in this photo.

• Thanks 1