Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

13 hours ago, Dargo said:

So Herman. Are you saying this salt and pepper thing here bothered you more than the whole flamethrower thing in this flick?

(...'cause if so, then the two of us sure have some different things that bother us)  ;)

LOL

Well, when I first saw OUATIH, I noticed the salt and pepper shakers, it bothered me, but I forgot about it until I saw the film again on TV. I thought at first that it was inauthentic, but possibly careless and unintentional. Then I read about the meticulous production design by the designers, Barbara Ling and Nancy Haigh (they won Oscars for OUATIH). They seem to love the subject matter and and also seemed to be painstakingly accurate in most every aspect of the look of the film. So my thinking changed and I now am convinced that the salt and pepper must have been intentionally filled that way. But I wondered, was that an attempt to be realistic? Because in reality Musso has an experienced, professional staff, the S&P is not gonna  be so carelessly attended, and top-notch designers, set decorators and set dressers would know this. So I keep wondering if there is a greater meaning to this.

The flamethrower ending, at the time, yes I found very disturbing.

But after seeing this film again, and after rewatching INGLORIOUS BASTERDS, RESERVIOR DOGS, DJANGO UNCHAINED, I felt that burning the kid up with a flamethrower was a relatively restrained touch for Tarantino!  😉

• Like 1
4 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

You were more bothered by the salt and pepper shakers' relative fullness than Tarantino's barefoot fetish?

Hmmm... maybe?

The barefoot thing, in some cases I don't mind. The closeup of Margot Robbie's feet for example, though they were dirty...  were still quite nice.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Herman Bricks said:

Because in reality Musso has an experienced, professional staff, the S&P is not gonna  be so carelessly attended, and top-notch designers, set decorators and set dressers would know this.

Now that Musso (CA in general) is getting back to full dinning,   I plan to go there in the next month or so.     I admit I have never checked out other dinners tables (well except to see if they were celebrities).   I'll have to do that.  (once I did think of talking home their S&P shakers,  but didn't since that wouldn't be nice,,,  but if they were labeled,,,  well then it would have been hard to resist!).

And when I do I'll also go to my favorite place in Hollywood:  Larry Edmunds Bookshop.

This is where I have purchased all of my "classic" movie memorabilia.      

• Like 2
1 minute ago, jamesjazzguitar said:

Now that Musso (CA in general) is getting back to full dinning,   I plan to go there in the next month or so.     I admit I have never checked out other dinners tables (well except to see if they were celebrities).   I'll have to do that.     And when I do I'll also go to my favorite plan in Hollywood:  Larry Edmunds Bookshop.

This is where I have purchased all of my "classic" movie memorabilia.      

James, if you could ask a staff member, or note if the salt and pepper were realistically depicted I would really appreciate it!!! I emailed the restaurant awhile ago and didn't hear back.

Because in my experience working in restaurants, hotels etc for a few decades-

• refilling of glass or other clear S&P is done at least once per day in just about every food and beverage establishment
  • refilling of S&P is not done as needed, rather it is done ritually during the side work that precedes daily service
  • in well-run dining environments, extra, full S&P are stocked and ready (mainly to replace them when they are missing/stolen, but also to make refilling at the table unnecessary during a shift)
  • the fill level of the shakers in the movie reflected about two days worth of inattention for the salt and four days for the pepper

Hope the Musso and Frank staff have been OK through the crisis.

• Like 1

Hey Herman! I found out the reason for that whole half-full salt shaker thing here, anyway. Sorry though, try as I might, I couldn't find the reason for the less than completely full pepper shaker.

Ya see, word is that because Al Pacino is SUCH a method actor and SO into the little particulars of every role he's ever played, he required Tarantino to supply him a character background story for when he played talent agent Marvin Schwarz in this movie.

And so when Tarantino DID write the character background story for him, it had the Marvin Schwarz character liking his favorite dish as Musso & Frank's, the French Onion soup there, really really REALLY salty!

(...see?!...NOW you don't have to have James ask about this the next time he's there...AND, something of which I'll bet NOBODY he'd ask about this there would have a CLUE about why it this was so in this flick, anyway!)  ;)

LOL

• Like 1
On 4/10/2021 at 4:04 PM, Dargo said:

Ya see, word is that because Al Pacino is SUCH a method actor and SO into the little particulars of every role he's ever played, he required Tarantino to supply him a character background story for when he played talent agent Marvin Schwarz in this movie.

And so when Tarantino DID write the character background story for him, it had the Marvin Schwarz character liking his favorite dish as Musso & Frank's, the French Onion soup there, really really REALLY salty!

Thanks for researching this Dargo! I am a little less disturbed by the salt shaker now.  I will focus more on the pepper going forward, and...

I'm more disturbed by the implications for Al Pacino. Although I haven't had Musso & Frank's French Onion Soup, I've had it at many other places and generally, it consists of an intensely flavored broth, an intensely buttery and charred crouton, and one or two intensely flavored cheeses (generally salty ones like Parmigiana Reggiano and Gruyère). A lot of flavor intensity. If Pacino is adding salt to this he may have lost his sense of taste and I worry if he has COVID. Which he may be in denial of, because COVID would not be period-correct for the character. 😰

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, Herman Bricks said:

Thanks for researching this Dargo! I am a little less disturbed by the salt shaker now.  I will focus more on the pepper going forward, and...

I'm more disturbed by the implications for Al Pacino. Although I haven't had Musso & Frank's French Onion Soup, I've had it at many other places and generally, it consists of an intensely flavored broth, an intensely buttery and charred crouton, and one or two intensely flavored cheeses (generally salty ones like Parmigiana Reggiano and Gruyère). A lot of flavor intensity. If Pacino is adding salt to this he may have lost his sense of taste and I worry if he has COVID. Which he may be in denial of, because COVID would not be period-correct for the character. 😰

LOL

So true, Herman, So true.  ;)

• Like 1
2 hours ago, SansFin said:

Rock Hudson and Vera-Ellen costumed as Mr. and Mrs. Oscar for the Hollywood Press Photographers' Ball, 1949.

uNxDGAX.jpg

It's probably already been pasted somewhere here but, coincidentally, I'd already thought of pasting the following - Shirley Eaton getting the Earl Scheib treatment:

wz2lfvc439e31.jpg

• Like 3
10 hours ago, SansFin said:

Rock Hudson and Vera-Ellen costumed as Mr. and Mrs. Oscar for the Hollywood Press Photographers' Ball, 1949.

uNxDGAX.jpg

Whatever happened to "No shoes, no shirt, no service"? 

Did you notice that the salt and pepper shakers were full this time?  

• Haha 1
On 4/27/2021 at 2:25 AM, MilesArcher said:

Whatever happened to "No shoes, no shirt, no service"? 

Did you notice that the salt and pepper shakers were full this time?  

The Salt & Pepper shakers are small but fine, thank GOD.

Did you see the size of the cream pitcher? There's almost a dollar's worth of cream in it! It's larger than Rock Hudson's coffee cup! Does that thing stay on the table all day and allow inherent, and airborne pathogens to collect and multiply? AAAAGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!!

Don't get me started on the sugar bowl. There is no lid on it, so throughout the day, who knows what type of crud may fall into it. The sugar bowl also does not have its own spoon. The door is wide open for it to be contaminated by WHO KNOWS WHAT....

The healthiest items on this particular table might be the cigarettes. YECCCHHH

It's too obvious, too quintessentially relevant to this thread to have escaped oversight, but just in case.....

LIFE goes to the real world - Patty Duke signing with Helen Keller:

Ce89wFWWsAAAYfY.jpg

Patty Duke (Astin) coming full-circle with The Miracle Worker (1979):

46a3ce12ec7ac4c54719f741af69b28e.jpg

• Like 3
29 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Re: "LIFE goes to the real world..."

Red Adair (l) at Gassi Touil #2:

tumblr_m5vsf4VuTj1qf71bqo1_500.jpg

It was the Devil's Cigarette Lighter which brought international acclaim to Red Adair, leading to supervision of his heroics on "HELLFIGHTERS" and an American Express spot I remember from my childhood.                                                                                      

• Like 2
On 5/1/2021 at 8:57 AM, NoShear said:

Re: "LIFE goes to the real world..."

Taken at the Carl Schurz Memorial in 1968, the following LIFE photo shoot of the WHO was later culled for use as the primary image for the British band's 1979 rockumentary, The Kids Are Alright:

the-who-art-kane.jpg

3eb83b9d1d109894ab00e1b1518d3d53.jpg

• Like 3

bi80atcxzdcsscx.jpg?skj2io4l

Actress Lila Leeds was arrested with Robert Mitchum for marijuana possession in 1948. His career, of course, recovered. Lila didn't handle her end as well. She went on to harder times but eventually found a spiritual grounding and devoted herself to charity. More here.

• Like 2
16 hours ago, Arsan404 said:

Test shots of Robert de Niro and Marsha Mason before filming The Goodbye Girl.

I found this article about the earlier attempt of The Goodbye Girl called "Bogart Slept Here."  Mike Nichols was directing, with Robert DeNiro and Marsha Mason starring.  They quickly realized DeNiro was wrong for the part.   I think that's pretty obvious from the photos you posted above.   DeNiro looks very Travis Bickle-ish.

When Mike Nichols Fired Robert De Niro: Excerpt from ‘De Niro: A Life’ | IndieWire

• Like 1