Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

1 hour ago, SweetSue said:

strangers in the wind | Classic hollywood, Classic movies, Hollywood actor

Is it only me, or does this shot of young Jimmy almost look like a Norman Rockwell painting?

• Like 4
3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Is it only me, or does this shot of young Jimmy almost look like a Norman Rockwell painting?

Ha! I didn't even notice that, but you're absolutely right 😆

• Thanks 1

Couldn't find this image on the internet, so I scanned the "It's Alive 2" aka "It Lives Again" (1978) soundtrack LP I just purchased.  Bernard Herrman conducting "It's Alive" (1974) score from inside a London church.  Wow does the score requires holy water sprinkled like those mutant infants desperately needs? :blink::lol:

You can clearly see the stained glass window top center. Sorry for the half blurry image, LP jacket couldn't completely lay flat on the HP printer / scanner.

Its-Alive.png

Had no idea a soundtrack existed until a few weeks ago, only have the 2 Liverpool Express songs in the film.

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, hamradio said:

Couldn't find this image on the internet, so I scanned the "It's Alive 2" aka "It Lives Again" (1978) soundtrack LP I just purchased.  Bernard Herrman conducting "It's Alive" (1974) score from inside a London church.  Wow does the score requires holy water sprinkled like those mutant infants desperately needs? :blink::lol:

You can clearly see the stained glass window top center. Sorry for the half blurry image, LP jacket couldn't completely lay flat on the HP printer / scanner.

Its-Alive.png

Had no idea a soundtrack existed until a few weeks ago, only have the 2 Liverpool Express songs in the film.

It's not too unusual to use a church as a recording facility.  CBS/Columbia converted an old Presbyterian church into their 30th Street Studios in NYC.  It was in operation until the early 1980s.  It was considered to be one of the top recording studios of its era.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CBS_30th_Street_Studio

Vintage Sessions

Morrison Hotel Gallery | In Session At The Columbia Records 30th Street  Studio Opens in SoHo

http://www.artsjournal.com/rifftides/Davis%20Evans%2030th.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

It's not too unusual to use a church as a recording facility. 

Yup, well designed old buildings can have fabulous sound quality and surely in a church, no accident. I'm amazed architects of old understood the principles of good acoustics & how to enhance them by design.

I collect soundtrack LPs too-and often find real gems such as Dietrich and some real stinkers like Meredith Willson's Love.

On 6/6/2021 at 1:36 PM, NoShear said:

Re:                                                                              

swimming-movie-star-esther-williams-on-the-set-of-jupiters-darling-picture-id170346143?k=6&m=170346143&s=612x612&w=0&h=dKMAmvZK4pimXG06m9NU8uuZX2d8OxirTjRRbuUvkLo=

Still waterlogged from the recent Esther Williams screenings and talk of underwater electronics...

Esther Williams appropriately appeared as a color commentator at the 1984 Summer Olympics for their inaugural synchronized swimming program which was held at the University of Southern California. (Williams is said to have nearly received a scholarship to the prestigious school.)

hqdefault.jpg

I played youth water polo, and after the synchronized swimming gals had vacated our swim school's pool, mainstream rock would be piped through the synchro sound system, providing pleasant distraction to the strenuous monotony of lap swimming.

"Goodbye, Mary Goodbye, Jane Will we ever meet again?" -     

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, SansFin said:

Re:

TqqwvLR.jpg

If current ads are an accurate reflection,  the Forties two-piece is back in style for this summer.

• Like 1

The Polo Grounds, which was referenced in "COOGan's BLUff" (1968), is visually explained in the following photo - as well as its deep-center setting for The Catch (1954):

5l3ymw_-NtthAUNVXDhrYu1o2VmeR2SlGELNHNm1IyY.jpg?auto=webp&s=3210deef0b641f0b808b98727ea7f541dd36d057

• Like 3

The Shadows' Hank Marvin, a giant next to his "Thunderbirds Are GO" (1966) marionette, also was a giant of British guitar rock:

4c7bd761da1ede76b6709d0e7dfb2872.png

• Like 2
On 7/6/2021 at 3:22 PM, NoShear said:

The Shadows' Hank Marvin, a giant next to his "Thunderbirds Are GO" (1966) marionette, also was a giant of British guitar rock:

I would urge everyone to listen to "Living Doll" and its fantastic guitar solo. Hank Marvin is a demigod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 7/9/2021 at 7:53 PM, sewhite2000 said:

Re: "I would urge everyone to listen to "Living Doll" and its fantastic guitar solo. Hank Marvin is a demigod."

Suggested listening should also include the Shadows' "Apache" and the following song as Hank Marvin's electric guitar became echo-ier and, consequently, more distinctive during the early 1960s:     

• Thanks 1

"Bright Path" as "Black Cloud" - I think this is a photo of Tom Mix and Jim Thorpe on location for "MY PAL, the KING" (1932):

a03367232f072b393eac523189d1b274.jpg

Thorpe might be seen later this month on TCM as he competed in both the semi-ancient pentathlon as well as the decathlon at the 1912 Summer Olympics, one of the Olympics scheduled for inclusion in 100 Years of Olympic Films. George S. Patton, who competed in the(n) modern pentathlon at Stockholm, also might be seen in The Games of the V Olympiad Stockholm, 1912 (2016 or '17)...

Patton, a Cavalry man, is seen here to your right competing in the fencing portion of the(n) modern pentathlon at those 1912 Summer Olympics:

1912_fencing_patton_and_mas_latrie.jpg 

The future hero of tank warfare might have eventually medaled at the Olympics, but WWI ironically ended his hopes.

• Like 3

The oft moist atmosphere of Tokyo in the fall of 1964 was not conducive to high jumps but offered Kon TOKYO OLYMPIAD Ichikawa and photographers some atmospheric images such as the following one of Voskhod Valeriy (Brumel):     

Valeriy+Brumel+Tokyo+1964.jpg

• Like 1

Dubbed the "father of African film", Ousmane Sembene is seen here at the 1972 Summer Olympics:

1497282057_414373_1497282863_noticia_normal.jpg

Despite his presence at Munich, the Senegalese director was not involved in the making of  VISIONS OF EIGHT (1973) to my knowledge.