Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

3 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Saaaay, YOU'RE pretty quick on the draw here TOO, NS!  ;)

I'm blowin' smoke off of mine:

chuck-conners-cowboy-in-africa-t.jpg

I know, Dargo: I had access to way too many toy guns growing up!

34 minutes ago, NoShear said:

I'm blowin' smoke off of mine:

chuck-conners-cowboy-in-africa-t.jpg

I know, Dargo: I had access to way too many toy guns growing up!

Yep, and very similar to the following Mattel "Shootin' Shell" Fanner .50 that I had back in the late-'50s/early-'60s here, and which predated yours by a few years...

(...the Mattel Company, which was located in Hawthorne CA along Rosecrans Ave and very close to my boyhood home at the time of Lawndale, sure made the best toys back then, didn't they NS?!)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Yep, and very similar to the following Mattel "Shootin' Shell" Fanner .50 that I had back in the late-'50s/early-'60s here, and which predated yours by a few years...

(...and which predated yours by qa few years"

Well, after all, you ARE faster on the draw, Dargo...

With my dropping COWBOY in AFRICA into this thread, has TCM ever screened films such as HaTaRi! or AFRICA-TEXAS STYLE!??

13 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Well, after all, you ARE faster on the draw, Dargo...

With my dropping COWBOY in AFRICA into this thread, has TCM ever screened films such as HaTaRi! or AFRICA-TEXAS STYLE!??

Yes, I'm pretty sure TCM has shown both of those sometime in the past. Definitely the John Wayne flick which I believe they've shown fairly recently, and I think the Hugh O'Brian starring movie as well, and with the latter one here of course being the inspiration for the short-lived Chuck Connors starring TV series.

1 hour ago, midwestan said:

According to the moviecollectoroh.com database, "Hatari" has been shown 16 times on TCM, but the last airing came in February, 2007.

Thanks. How about the Hugh O'Brian flick, midwesty?

2 hours ago, Dargo said:

Re: "(...the Mattel Company, which was located in Hawthorne CA along Rosecrans Ave and very close to my boyhood home at the time of Lawndale, sure made the best toys back then, didn't they NS?!)"

Absolutely, Dargo, and some of 'em right off the physical production line in your proverbial backyard... 

Before headquarters shifted to El Segundo, the following could be seen on the face of the toy giant's building from the 405 if I correctly recall, Dargo:

MATTEL TOYS

17 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Absolutely, Dargo, and some of 'em right off the physical production line in your proverbial backyard... 

Before headquarters shifted to El Segundo, the following could be seen on the face of the toy giant's building from the 405 if I correctly recall, Dargo:

MATTEL TOYS

Right you are, NS. Here's a shot of the company's old building circa 1975 (from the look of the automobiles in its parking lot) and before most of their product manufacturing was sent offshore...

1917046_1107490739273177_667352372277014

The above pic is to be found in the following link, and which was part of an article published in the local South Bay newpaper The Daily Breeze...

Mattel’s early days: Eliot and Ruth Handler create a toy empire | South Bay History (dailybreeze.com)

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Right you are, NS. Here's a shot of the company's old building circa 1975 (from the look of the automobiles in its parking lot) and before most of their product manufacturing was sent offshore...

1917046_1107490739273177_667352372277014

The above pic is to be found in the following link, and which was part of an article published in the local South Bay newpaper The Daily Breeze...

Mattel’s early days: Eliot and Ruth Handler create a toy empire | South Bay History (dailybreeze.com)

I think this might be a rather rare photo of the buliding, Dargo: I think I went on(line) a search for a photo of the outside of it one time to no avail.

2 hours ago, midwestan said:

According to the moviecollectoroh.com database, "Hatari" has been shown 16 times on TCM, but the last airing came in February, 2007.

From glut to famine!!?

On 8/4/2021 at 8:05 PM, Dargo said:

Thanks. How about the Hugh O'Brian flick, midwesty?

Sorry, Dargo.  "Africa:  Texas Style" has never been shown on TCM.  Maybe with time though.  I thought it was stupid as all get-out when ESPN began showing 'poker as a sport' (say....whaaaaat?), but you see poker shows scattered across various networks today, so....who knows what kind of programming (or relatively obscure movies) trips someone's trigger if they have a say in what gets aired!

• Thanks 2
11 hours ago, SansFin said:

CN5APR1.jpg

And of course, offered up here under the heading: "Who ya gonna call? The Special Effects Guys!"

• Like 1
On 8/6/2021 at 11:56 PM, SansFin said:

CN5APR1.jpg

Is that giant thing a puppet? Like a marionette? Or does it have a small person inside a costume? The lighting is remarkable-the trees, streets of town look real under that blue light. But a 7 lane highway next to a small town? I like the periodic baby spots illuminating as street lights.

This pretty much sums up my feelings of 2020:

53e1354e729c06625ef196fee2ba46fb.jpg

This is kind of what my home studio looks like-big ornamental stuff hanging all over:

25e3683d0047bba850cf7342ce034c2f.jpg

I like the broom & shovel nearby. Note the faux bamboo pole behind the locker. Love that people used to go to work in a nice shirt & tie. Notice his paint spattered pants. I don't own one article of everyday clothing (including underwear-but who sees that?) that does not have a paint spatter. 

One time while shopping, saw jeans with paint spatters for $75! Never knew I was such a fashionista!

• Like 1
3 hours ago, TikiSoo said:

Is that giant thing a puppet? Like a marionette? Or does it have a small person inside a costume? The lighting is remarkable-the trees, streets of town look real under that blue light. But a 7 lane highway next to a small town? I like the periodic baby spots illuminating as street lights.

Billy Bryan is credited as the character. https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0116901/?ref_=ttfc_fc_cl_t54

I admit that I have not watched the movie in many years but I believe that the area on the lefthand side of the picture represents: Central Park in NYC.

• Thanks 1

Just added this to IMDB. Variety Lights (1950) - second from the left is a 17 yr old Sophia Loren. Her first screen appearance as an extra. She dances in two acts, a sailor themed one and a Spanish themed act.

luci-del-varieta-002-png_orig.png

• Like 1
On 8/8/2021 at 8:11 AM, TikiSoo said:

But a 7 lane highway next to a small town?

On 8/8/2021 at 8:37 PM, sewhite2000 said:

I was about to put the confused emoji on the post describing NYC as a "small town", but I assume now the poster didn't know.

Sorry, it looked like a wooded town with streetlights. Had no idea what the movie or location was.

I assume everyone recognized what the guy was sculpting in the photo I posted. Suppose I should have clarified for anyone who hasn't seen THE WAR OF THE WORLDS '53 it was the clay mold for the alien spaceships - design obviously inspired by ocean manta rays.

• Thanks 1