Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

For BunnyWhit, cinemaman and Peebs:

http://photos.cinematreasures.org/production/photos/240670/1524347096/large.jpg?1524347096

th?id=OIP.pXM-aItNITSfwCWwBs41KQHaIE&pid=Api&P=0&w=145&h=158

• Like 1

Probably not thought of as a 1968 movie by most, KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA is said to have begun its exclusive engagement at the CINERAMA dome on May 14, 1969:

Cinerama_Dome_1968.jpg

Experiencing the above came full-circle for me fifty years later when I attended a screening of ONCE UPON A TIME IN... HOLLYWOOD at the Dome.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, NoShear said:

Probably not thought of as a 1968 movie by most, KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA is said to have begun its exclusive engagement at the CINERAMA dome on May 14, 1969:

Cinerama_Dome_1968.jpg

Experiencing the above came full-circle for me fifty years later when I attended a screening of ONCE UPON A TIME IN... HOLLYWOOD at the Dome.

Oh yeah, I remember this too, NS!

In fact, back when they were showing Krakatoa, East of Java (which btw, is actually WEST of Java) there, I was fond of referring to it as "Cinerama, West of La Brea"!

(...and even though IT was actually EAST of La Brea!!!)  

;)

• Haha 1
6 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Oh yeah, I remember this too, NS!

In fact, when they were showing Krakatoa, East of Java (which btw, is actually WEST of Java) back then there, I was fond of referring to it as "Cinerama, West of La Brea"!

(...and even though IT was EAST of La Brea!!!)  

;)"

You started early then: Leave it to a young Dargo to come up "Cinerama, West of La Brea"!!

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, NoShear said:

You started early then: Leave it to a young Dargo to come up "Cinerama, West of La Brea"!!

Well shucks, NS! 

Okay, alright. I guess I do have to admit that back in the day I was sometimes called (among many OTHER things, mind you) a "child prodigy". Of course, MOSTLY by my mother, but THAT still counts, RIGHT?!

BUT, you know how it is. They say only about 1% of "child prodigies" ever live up to their true potential, and we OTHER 99% just end up coasting through life, and sometimes just ending up working for an airline...for 35 years.

(...oh sure, EASILY coasting through life because of being "child prodigies" and ultimately to a comfortable retirement like I have, but STILL, oh how I could've maybe changed the world for the better IF I had ONLY applied myself a little more!!!)  ;)

LOL

10 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Okay, alright. I guess I do have to admit that back in the day I was sometimes called (among many OTHER things, mind you) a "child prodigy". Of course, MOSTLY by my mother, but THAT still counts, RIGHT?!"

Considering your humor, Dargo, this was not a hard sell...

...and not unlike vintage Dargo, there's the humorous tweak which has to follow: "Of course, MOSTLY by my mother, but THAT still counts, RIGHT?!" 😆

• Haha 1
15 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "BUT, you know how it is. They say only about 1% of "child prodigies" ever live up to their true potential, and we OTHER 99% just end up coasting through life, and sometimes just ending up working for an airline...for 35 years."

Not saying child prodigy here, Dargo, but I was only half-joking about television medicine: While other kids were recreating KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA in the sandbox, a friend and I were conducting "surgeries" on the playground...

For the both of us, Dargo, a loud lament - care of Steve McQueen's ill-fated character in THE SAND PEBBLES: "What the hell happened"?!

• Like 1
55 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Not saying child prodigy here, Dargo, but I was only half-joking about television medicine: While other kids were recreating KRAKATOA EAST OF JAVA in the sandbox, a friend and I were conducting "surgeries" on the playground...

For the both of us, Dargo, a loud lament - care of Steve McQueen's ill-fated character in THE SAND PEBBLES: "What the hell happened"?!

I dunno. Maybe it all boils down to that old saw which is often mis-attributed to John Lennon (he used a version of it as lyrics in a song he wrote), but which actually should be credited to American writer/journalist/cartoonist Allen Saunders (1899-1986):

"Life is what happens to us while we are busy making other plans."

• Like 1

The Baseball Bug (1911) is said to have been released one-hundred and ten years ago on this day...

The silent short includes the Philadelphia Athletics star pitcher Charles Albert "Chief" Bender. Bender, a Chippewa, is seen then-just previously in the '11 World Series here with John "Chief" Meyers, a Cahuilla, who's seen sporting the so-called jinx suits of the New York Giants:     

71dc5b35e841de7d2a784cb4c4846c23.jpg 

The "jinx suits" turned out to be a symbolic spell of bad luck for the Giants that Series.

• Like 2
6 hours ago, NoShear said:

The Baseball Bug (1911) is said to have been released one-hundred and ten years ago on this day...

The silent short includes the Philadelphia Athletics star pitcher Charles Albert "Chief" Bender. Bender, a Chippewa, is seen then-just previously in the '11 World Series here with John "Chief" Meyers, a Cahuilla, who's seen sporting the so-called jinx suits of the New York Giants:     

71dc5b35e841de7d2a784cb4c4846c23.jpg 

The "jinx suits" turned out to be a symbolic spell of bad luck for the Giants that Series.

You've probably come across the following website before, haven't you NS...

The A's and Their Elephants, Together Since July 10, 1902 — Todd Radom Design

• Thanks 1
38 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "You've probably come across the following website before, haven't you NS...

The A's and Their Elephants, Together Since July 10, 1902 — Todd Radom Design"

No, I don't think so, Dargo, so thank you...

Though familiar with both the white elephant imagery of the A's and the aforementioned jinx suits of the Giants, I don't recall such the significance with their 1911 World Series pairing - read John McGraw, Dargo!

9 minutes ago, NoShear said:

No, I don't think so, Dargo, so thank you...

Though familiar with both the white elephant imagery of the A's and the aforementioned jinx suits of the Giants, I don't recall such the significance with their 1911 World Series pairing - read John McGraw, Dargo!

Yep, I didn't know it either until I searched this out and after being prompted to do so by your pic and text up there.

(...did always wonder why the A's had the pachyderm as their mascot, though)

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Yep, I didn't know it either until I searched this out and after being prompted to do so by your pic and text up there.

(...did always wonder why the A's had the pachyderm as their mascot, though)"

"Chief" Bender, "Chief" Meyers, et al., ...

Baseball has had its share of insensitivity and political incorrectness. Speaking of this and the Philly white elephant, Dargo: 

http://www.baseballhistorycomesalive.com/baseball-mascots-and-clowns/

On 11/21/2021 at 7:09 PM, NoShear said:

Cinerama_Dome_1968.jpg

I have seen the The Last Waltz there. A great place to watch  a film

• Like 1
23 hours ago, LawrenceA said:

FE7bQCsUcAM_ljN?format=jpg&name=900x900

Hmm.  Same menu, same price, on the same block, but one has Gilbert, your very Italian Maitre D', dancing and Anton at the piano.

I'm guessing somebody who knows the restaurant business got the stars involved (as part-owners?) to pull in customers?  But it's pretty clear these two were in some way connected.