Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

7 minutes ago, LawrenceA said:

FFDXRC3XwBQLFZC?format=jpg&name=small

Hey look! It's the REAL King of Cool and his "younger brother" standin' next to him!

(...well okay, his "younger brother" in the movie Thunder Road, anyway)  ;)

• Haha 1

This week's Svengoolie movie THE DEVIL'S RAIN '75 featured Ernest Borgnine as Satan:

18709884812_ca7dcff8dd_b.jpg

The make up guys took a hint from Lon Chaney. The famous mask of Shatner later used in the Halloween movies was made for this film too. The guy on the right is making Bela Lugosi's Dracula gesture to Borgnine, whose face looks rather tiny.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Peebs said:

John Lennon taking his son Julian to visit the set of Happy Days

I'd heard this story before. Who's the guy on the far right? I think it's not the mysteriously eliminated from reality Chuck Cunningham. The one in the back I'm guessing is either Garry Marshall or Jerry Parris.

10 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

I'd heard this story before. Who's the guy on the far right? I think it's not the mysteriously eliminated from reality Chuck Cunningham. The one in the back I'm guessing is either Garry Marshall or Jerry Parris.

Yep, Jerry Paris is in the back far right but I'm not sure who is front of him next to Henry Winkler.  It's not Chuck Cunningham, he went upstairs in his parent's home never to be seen again.

10 hours ago, Peebs said:

Yep, Jerry Paris is in the back far right but I'm not sure who is front of him next to Henry Winkler.  It's not Chuck Cunningham, he went upstairs in his parent's home never to be seen again.

According to the source below, it's Alan Abelow (sic), but IMDb lists him as Alan Abelew. 

https://www.cbr.com/happy-days-fonzie-john-lennon/

Some folks have posited that this was a photoshop job, but various stars of the show have confirmed that both Lennons visited the set.  They are a little fuzzy on when, though.  The source above states it's early in the first season, before it became wildly popular.  Some of the show's stars put it later in the run, after it had become popular. 

Here's a color photo of Winkler and Abelew from the show.  Looks like everyone's wearing the same costumes in both pictures.  Note that "the Fonz" is without the trademark leather jacket, so it definitely places this early in the show's run.  This is from season 1, episode 4, the only episode Abelew was in.  Jerry Paris was the director of this episode.  It aired 5 February 1974.  The source above states one episode had aired by the time of this picture, so I'm wondering if either of the Lennons knew who the folks in the cast were.   Ron Howard would have been the best known of the group by that time.  I would guess that they were just touring Paramount and Happy Days happened to be filming that day, but that's just speculation...

Happy Days': Henry Winkler Said He Used His 'Tremendous Underlying Anger'  to Play Fonzie

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
21 minutes ago, txfilmfan said:

According to the source below, it's Alan Abelow (sic), but IMDb lists him as Alan Abelew. 

https://www.cbr.com/happy-days-fonzie-john-lennon/

Some folks have posited that this was a photoshop job, but various stars of the show have confirmed that both Lennons visited the set.  They are a little fuzzy on when, though.  The source above states it's early in the first season, before it became wildly popular.  Some of the show's stars put it later in the run, after it had become popular. 

Here's a color photo of Winkler and Abelew from the show.  Looks like everyone's wearing the same costumes in both pictures.  Note that "the Fonz" is without the trademark leather jacket, so it definitely places this early in the show's run.  This is from season 1, episode 4, the only episode Abelew was in.  Jerry Paris was the director of this episode.  It aired 5 February 1974.  The source above states one episode had aired by this time of this picture, so I'm wondering if either of the Lennons knew who the folks in the cast were.   Ron Howard would have been the best known of the group by that time.  I would guess that they were just touring Paramount and Happy Days happened to be filming that day, but that's just speculation...

That's some impressive detective work, tx!  Yes, I remember an  interview with Henry Winkler where he talked about Lennon visiting the set.  What parents do for their kids.

1 minute ago, Peebs said:

That's some impressive defective work, tx!  Yes, I remember an  interview with Henry Winkler where he talked about Lennon visiting the set.  What parents do for their kids.

According to that website I quoted, Lennon & son were visiting with May Pang - apparently he and Yoko had separated for a while, and they were at Paramount.  She said they also visited the sets of Mannix and The Odd Couple, and sat in for the filming of that show.

Happy Days at the time of the photo was a single-camera show and wasn't shot in front of a live audience.

Per Pang's Wikipedia page, she was an assistant to Lennon & Ono at the time of their separation, and Ono is the one who got them together.  Pang also said she was responsible for getting John and Julian back together after 4 years, and this happened shortly before the Paramount visit.   They were staying in LA temporarily in late 1973 and early 1974.  I wasn't aware of this part of Lennon's story, so it's interesting to me - especially after watching Get Back.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

According to that website I quoted, Lennon & son were visiting with May Pang - apparently he and Yoko had separated for a while, and they were at Paramount.  She said they also visited the sets of Mannix and The Odd Couple, and sat in for the filming of that show.

Happy Days at the time of the photo was a single-camera show and wasn't shot in front of a live audience.

Per Pang's Wikipedia page, she was an assistant to Lennon & Ono at the time of their separation, and Ono is the one who got them together.  Pang also said she was responsible for getting John and Julian back together after 4 years, and this happened shortly before the Paramount visit.   They were staying in LA temporarily in late 1973 and early 1974.  I wasn't aware of this part of Lennon's story, so it's interesting to me - especially after watching Get Back.

Ah, yes May Pang.  I've read about the so-called "lost weekend" period when Lennon and Ono separated.  I always thought it must have been tough to be Julian, the first son born during Beatlemania, from Lennon's first marriage.

I'm working my way through McCartney 's two volume set "The Lyrics" detailing the story behind some of his songs. It's an interesting read but of course you 're getting just his take on the Beatles songs.

• Like 1

Peebs and txfilmfan, you might find the John Lennon/Smothers Brothers incident at the Troubadour of interest which occurred during Lennon's estrangement to Yoko Ono - even if already aware, you might find the following photos something of interest:   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, Peebs said:

Ah, yes May Pang.  I've read about the so-called "lost weekend" period where Lennon and Ono separated.  I always thought it must have been tough to be Julian, the first son born during Beatlemania, from Lennon's first marriage.

I'm working my through McCartney 's two volume set "The Lyrics" detailing the story behind some of his songs. It's an interesting read but of course you 're getting just his take on the Beatles songs.

You can wake up any day of the week and it seems as though Paul was all 4 Beatles.

So I'm glad that Ringo is finally speaking out and doing as he pleases.

• Thanks 1
11 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

You can wake up any day of the week and it seems as though Paul was all 4 Beatles.

Reading the book, it's still strange to see the credits changed to "McCartney and Lennon" for the "Paul" songs.  

• Thanks 1
40 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Reading the book, it's still strange to see the credits changed to "McCartney and Lennon" for the "Paul" songs.  

I always have to give Paul credit for one thing.

He was always full of himself from '64 and a class climber.

He hasn't changed one bit.

But I've always loved him.

5 hours ago, txfilmfan said:

The source above states one episode had aired by the time of this picture, so I'm wondering if either of the Lennons knew who the folks in the cast were.

Now, that's interesting. I'm a little younger than Julian. I'd heard the story somewhere previously of the set visit and seen that pic on another source. I'd just assumed if we were near the same age, Happy Days was a beloved by young Julian as it was by young me, and he insisted his dad take him to the set. But I had no idea it was during the "lost weekend" phase, which indeed poaces the visit much earlier the show's history though it probably makes sense, I don't know that Lennon spent a ton of time in California other than then. I do distinctly remember Season One from my childhood, when there was no studio audience, Bill Haley played on the opening credits, there seemed to be more location shooting than just the standard sets of the Cunningham living room and Arnold's ... and there was Chuck Cunningham., who apparently wasn't invited to get his picture taken with John Lennon, or maybe he wasn't there that day. It was before the days when the crowd would cheer for 30 seconds as each major character entered for the first time ... twice that long for Henry Winkler.  The encounter may have been totally random, as much of that phase of Lennon's life seemed to be. 

1 hour ago, Princess of Tap said:

He wasn't before?

21 minutes ago, Princess of Tap said:

I always have to give Paul credit for one thing.

He was always full of himself from '64 and a class climber.

He hasn't changed one bit.

But I've always loved him.

Hard sometimes to defend Paul, and if I come on here and say he was my favorite Beatle, I suspect I will be subjecting myself to more of a negative feedback onsalught than that whole business on another thread about the removal of the "N" word.  Yeah, Paul was a rampaging egomaniac. I suspect Get Back partly exists because Paul wants everyone to forget about Let It Be and  scenes of him telling George "I'm not trying to get you!" or George letting him know "I'll do whatever you want so long it will please you" or any other the other scenes where Paul is rambling on about something he thinks is really important and John or George look like they're about to fall asleep! I don't know that being a "class climber' is a bad thing. Who wants to be stuck in the kind of sh*t world the Beatles had as kids? John was relatively well off materially compared to the other three.

I will say if you look at credits that say who did what on each Beatles song, Paul was certainly the band's instrumental secret weapon. He could play anything and play it well. Probably not quite as multifacted as Brian Jones, but in the same ballpark. Also, I'm pleased the older Paul has gotten, the more generous he's been about the contributions of his former colleagues and not just the obvious ones.  I loved when he told Bob Costas about John adding "Can't get no worse" to "Getting Better" or insisting Paul keep "the movement you need is on your shoulder" in "Hey Jude". Also, another thing I saw where Paul is listening to Sgt. Pepper's and is delightfully blown away when he hears George's guitar solo on "Fixing a Hole". 

• Like 3
7 hours ago, sewhite2000 said:

Hard sometimes to defend Paul, and if I come on here and say he was my favorite Beatle, I suspect I will be subjecting myself to more of a negative feedback onsalught...

I will say if you look at credits that say who did what on each Beatles song, Paul was certainly the band's instrumental secret weapon. He could play anything and play it well. Probably not quite as multifacted as Brian Jones, but in the same ballpark. Also, I'm pleased the older Paul has gotten, the more generous he's been about the contributions of his former colleagues and not just the obvious ones.  I loved when he told Bob Costas about John adding "Can't get no worse" to "Getting Better" or insisting Paul keep "the movement you need is on your shoulder" in "Hey Jude". Also, another thing I saw where Paul is listening to Sgt. Pepper's and is delightfully blown away when he hears George's guitar solo on "Fixing a Hole". 

I get what everyone is saying about Paul.  It makes me a  little wary to watch "Get Back"  but I hear it's a more positive spin than the original "Let It Be."   

I saw Paul in concert about 8 years ago and he was in great voice, played an impressive number of instruments for over 2 1/2 hours.  The concert included two musical tributes, "Something" on the ukulele for George and and another song for John.  The "Something" version (similiar to his performance in "A Concert for George") was lovely and a really got to the audience emotionally.  The song for John was, I think, "Here Today" which  McCartney wrote in 1982.  Not nearly the same emotional reaction.  I wished he had picked a more familiar song maybe something John had written.   

4 hours ago, Peebs said:

Re: "I get what everyone is saying about Paul.  It makes me a  little wary to watch "Get Back"  but I hear it's a more positive spin than the original "Let It Be."   

I saw Paul in concert about 8 years ago and he was in great voice, played an impressive number of instruments for over 2 1/2 hours.  The concert included two musical tributes, "Something" on the ukulele for George and and another song for John.  The "Something" version (similiar to his performance in "A Concert for George") was lovely and a really got to the audience emotionally.  The song for John was, I think, "Here Today" which  McCartney wrote in 1982.  Not nearly the same emotional reaction.  I wished he had picked a more familiar song maybe something John had written."

Whatever his perceived personality shortcomings, 'your' Paul McCartney has been one of the heavies - defining in a positive way - of rock music, Peebs: He's considered a pioneer of the electric bass as a lead instrument, and George Martin has said that he could knock out a melody at the proverbial drop of a downbeat.

6 hours ago, NoShear said:

Whatever his perceived personality shortcomings, 'your' Paul McCartney has been one of the heavies - defining in a positive way - of rock music, Peebs: He's considered a pioneer of the electric bass as a lead instrument, and George Martin has said that he could knock out a melody at the proverbial drop of a downbeat.

Not sure what you mean by "your Paul.". .  I agree with you, though , McCartney is a talented musician and songwriter.  I'm a Beatles fan, I hope that my post didn't come across as playing down his talent or his importance.in rock n roll.

12 minutes ago, Peebs said:

Re: "Not sure what you mean by "your Paul.". .  I agree with you, though , McCartney is a very talented musician and songwriter.  I'm a Beatles fan, I hope that my post didn't come across as playing down his talent or his importance.in rock n roll."

Oh, no, Peebs: I was supporting your fondness for the Beatles and Paul McCartney!!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, SansFin said:

tpZxIGD.jpg

Reads like the only person missing was Hrundi V. Bakshi.

th?id=OIP.usvCtgfNlhsnNLvCxrdNrAAAAA&pid=Api&P=0&w=266&h=169

• Like 1