Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

The Post an Interesting Pic thread

It looks like things didn't turn out too well for Potato Fantasy.  Nice touch having Mickey "taking the time to load his car with silverware, appliances and sacks of food before warning his patrons of the fire..."

Another tragedy: "a 22 year old waiter died after suffocating inside a rubber Mickey Rooney mask, which all staff had been required to wear." 

Mickey Rooney's “Potato Fantasy” Restaurant! Plus, Wackiest Celebrity Ads!  Celebrities Playing With Their Food! – johnrieber

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, sewhite2000 said:

Ugh, now I feel bad about poking fun at the menu previously. Stepped into a bear trap there. It was the first I ever heard of the place! Although "Rooney escapes with cash register" does struck me as a funny subhead.

Also, included in the "news" article is a "quote" from Mickey:  "...I know if I need to raise money that Judy and I can always find a barn and put on a good 'ol fashioned minstrel show." 

I'm fairly confident that the fire and sadly, yes, even Potato Fantasy are just fiction.  I was just warming up to the idea of those potato shakes.

• Thanks 2

f96fcb24b89fbd0b2bf3569fa971fa5f

Actor Leon Ames (left), who owned a couple of Ford dealerships in SoCal, opens another one, circa the late-1960s.

It appears to be actor Louis Quinn on the far right, perhaps best remembered as the comic relief character 'Roscoe' on the TV private eye series 77 Sunset Strip.

(...and yes, and for those whose formative years took place in the L.A. area during this time, standing behind Ames that does indeed appear to be none other than Ralph Williams, the guy who would eventually take over Ames' dealerships and hawk his wares on television and become almost as locally famous for it as Cal Worthington was in the area)

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Dargo said:

I have a set of giant scissors just like this as a stall sign for my horse "Clipper".

Sign found in DVD library rental store:

257129948_10159934409188724_573439295440

"Movies made before 1970 that you most likely will not find streaming because the media doesn't care about you or the stuff you like"

I see gems like Too Late For Tears, Milk, Whale Rider....

• Like 2
17 hours ago, Dargo said:

Actor Leon Ames (left), who owned a couple of Ford dealerships in SoCal, opens another one, circa the late-1960s.

It appears to be actor Louis Quinn on the far right, perhaps best remembered as the comic relief character 'Roscoe' on the TV private eye series 77 Sunset Strip.

(...and yes, and for those whose formative years took place in the L.A. area during this time, standing behind Ames that does indeed appear to be none other than Ralph Williams, the guy who would eventually take over Ames' dealerships and hawk his wares on television and become almost as locally famous for it as Cal Worthington was in the area)

Speaking of your Ralph Williams drop here in the context of film, Dargo, there exists at least one movie where you can hear and see one of his commercials playing on a television set.

http://swansongrp.com/picdocs/ralph.html

Speaking of Ralph Williams (read: Encino) and movies, no, I haven't seen a certain current film yet in case you are wondering. How about you?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, NoShear said:

Speaking of your Ralph Williams drop here in the context of film, Dargo, there exists at least one movie where you can hear and see one of his commercials playing on a television set.

http://swansongrp.com/picdocs/ralph.html

Speaking of Ralph Williams (read: Encino) and movies, no, I haven't seen a certain current film yet in case you are wondering. How about you?

Which current film are you speaking of here, NS? You don't mean Tarantino's last one, Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood, do ya? 

Yep, I saw that one when it first hit the big screen, and I do remember while the lead characters are driving around the streets of L.A., their car radio is tuned to and you hear the "Boss Jocks" of the old KHJ Top 40 radio station during those scenes, However, I don't seem to remember a Ralph Williams TV commercial being overheard in the background in any other scenes, although I might have forgotten this.

(...btw...I used to do a great Ralph Williams impression, myself...all ya had to do was talk like you were suffering from jockjaw, ya know) ;)

1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Which current film are you speaking of here, NS? You don't mean Tarantino's last one, Once Upon a Time... In Hollywood, do ya?"

1973 San Fernando Valley, Dargo:                                                                             

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Dargo said:

Re: "(...btw...I used to do a great Ralph Williams impression, myself...all ya had to do was talk like you were suffering from jockjaw, ya know) ;)"

Laughing: I won't feel I've lived a full life until I've heard it, Dargo!

• Haha 1
10 minutes ago, NoShear said:

1973 San Fernando Valley, Dargo:                                                                             

Ah! Thanks. This is the first I've heard of this new film. Looks like it might be pretty good.

(...and hey, it's even got Sean Penn jumpin' a Triumph over some stuff in it!)  ;)

13 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "(...and hey, it's even got Sean Penn jumpin' a Triumph over some stuff in it!)  ;)"

When I secure an extra ticket on the Time Machine, Dargo, I'm sending you to June Ellen's DONUTS circa '72:

rs=w:1280,h:871   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 minutes ago, NoShear said:

When I secure an extra ticket on the Time Machine, Dargo, I'm sending you to June Ellen's DONUTS circa '72:

rs=w:1280,h:871   

Hey, Dargo, there isn't some ban on two-wheelers with this thread is there?

This tricycle looks like a time machine:

rs=w:1280,h:835

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Hey, Dargo, there isn't some ban on two-wheelers with this thread is there?

This tricycle looks like a time machine:

Yeah, it kind'a does, doesn't it...although Rod Taylor might disagree. ;)

Back in the day a buddy of mine had a VW-powered trike that looked a lot like that one, although not quite as clean as that one.

(...that sucker would pull wheelies without any bother at all)

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Yeah, it kind'a does, doesn't it...although Rod Taylor might disagree. ;)"

I'd like to meet up with you BACK THERE but, with the chill of the Ukraine crisis in mind, Dargo, I'm going to try to get to Harry Truman if I can. I'm not too hopeful, though: You know, the Show Me State! I probably will have about as much success as Dana Andrews' character in "NO TIME LIKE THE PAST"...

Patton+Russians.jpg

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, NoShear said:

I'd like to meet up with you BACK THERE but, with the chill of the Ukraine crisis in mind, Dargo, I'm going to try to get to Harry Truman if I can. I'm not too hopeful, though: You know, the Show Me State! I probably will have about as much success as Dana Andrews' character in "NO TIME LIKE THE PAST"...

Patton+Russians.jpg

Well, if you ever DO get to Harry, do me a favor and tell him it might be a good idea to reconsider his ignoring Ho Chi Minh's letter that he sent to him regarding his country's postwar independence from France.

(...it would save oodles of money and lives in the long run, ya know)  ;)

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Dargo said:

Well, if you ever DO get to Harry, do me a favor and tell him it might be a good idea to reconsider his ignoring Ho Chi Minh's letter that he sent to him regarding his country's postwar independence from France.

(...it would save oodles of money and lives in the long run, ya know)  ;)

Will do, Dargo...

45 minutes ago, NoShear said:

Will do, Dargo...

Thanks! ;) 

And be sure to tell Harry what I said above savin' all that moolah and all those lives in the long run.

Okay, and now where were we here? OH yeah..."Interesting Pictures".

(...NOW I remember!)

LOL

14 hours ago, Dargo said:

Re: "Thanks! ;) 

And be sure to tell Harry what I said above savin' all that moolah and all those lives in the long run."

Interestingly you were one of those young guys who lived it, Dargo: Sweating out the draft!